• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RIPT & RIPT Revenge

We used to play this to mix things up at our local course. I have ript and ript revenge and mix the two decks and take out some of the cards that are stupid such as "switch scores with another player" and "throw another players disc" etc.

Outside of that we don't make too many rules. We like to be able to play as many cards at one time as possible! That just means you don't have any left to play at a later time and can make for some really entertaining throws. Never play this game for money though... it instantly becomes too stupid and aggravating.

I definitely gotta get my hands on a deck of this, my buddy has the game, but I dont play with him enough. Maybe for SS?

We make the player carry your bag, even while throwing. Watching someone drive with 20 discs on their back is awesome!

This is a nice adaptation to that card - definitely suggesting this option next time we play it.

I love it. Played it last year every night after am worlds with some folks I was camping with. It was great fun :)

If you throw an ace and someone cancels it, is it still an ace? Scott?

If anybody is big enough of a dick to cancel out your ace stop playing with them.

:D:D:D

I guess it depends, did I sign your disc and pay you for it? That's all that really matters. Keeping the ace off the scorecard is just a strategy to win, which honestly I can't even remember if I did or not!

Didn't you end up taking a much worst score on the hole? I guess it would be a cubby par at that point!

:D:D:D

I guess it depends, did I sign your disc and pay you for it? That's all that really matters. Keeping the ace off the scorecard is just a strategy to win, which honestly I can't even remember if I did or not!

Didn't you end up taking a much worst score on the hole? I guess it would be a cubby par at that point!

Very true. If it were your ace, I'm sure I would have done the same thing! :hfive:

I ended up taking a 4, and IIRC that scoring swing gave you the win by a small margin. But I guess I was the real winner with your $5, and it makes for a much better story.

I have heard that RIPT can be un-fun if:

-Everybody is a beginner
-There are major differences in skill levels between players

The game is a good deal of fun, but if either of the above two things happen, be ready for either yourself or somebody in your group to just not dig it. As another member posted, it is the most fun when you are with a group of buddies on a course that you know the ins and outs of.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on the original Ript game? I have Revenge, and we have a lot of fun when we play it, but want the original to change it up a little.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on the original Ript game? I have Revenge, and we have a lot of fun when we play it, but want the original to change it up a little.

I've looked and have never found it. However, I've used this rule system to great effect and the guys I play with it love it since they created the rules themselves. Nothing worse than getting a card that you created come and bite you in the :wall:

I have heard that RIPT can be un-fun if:

-Everybody is a beginner
-There are major differences in skill levels between players

The game is a good deal of fun, but if either of the above two things happen, be ready for either yourself or somebody in your group to just not dig it. As another member posted, it is the most fun when you are with a group of buddies on a course that you know the ins and outs of.

See I disagree, if everyone is a beginner it's more fun, and the only time major skill level difference makes things awkward is if the better player takes it too seriously and gets pissy.

Now don't force someone opposed to this game to play, because they'll bitch and moan the entire time, but get a group of people together to have fun and absolutely it's blast.

I like it. Combines Magic the Gathering with DG. All my friends hate it though, so we never play.

well said. i'd also like to add that anyone that is decent at MTG knows the intricacies of rules within a strange combination of plays & strategy.

any good player at MTG would find the Ript Revenge rulebook as being lacking. so we had to expand it a bit.

here is what we as a group wrote to accompany the game so that no arguments arise as we strategize against each other.

All the below rules are simply extensions to the rulebook in such a manner that it is what the RIPT Revenge creators would have written if they had created complete rules.

1. Cards are played before teeing in the same order as the Honors for teeing.

2. Cards with "Putting" – Putting means within 30' of the basket. If there is a disagreement that the basket is not within 30' then an official measurement will be taken (measuring wheel, using your feet etc…). If an official measurement cannot be taken or agreed upon then the person playing the card has final judgment.
Scenario #1:
Person A plays 'Jump Putt' on Person B. Person B says they are not within 30' of the basket. No one has a measuring device. Person B counts their steps to the basket and gets 32'. Person A counts their steps to the basket and gets 29'. The card plays.

3. 'No Way' – This card does not ever count as a card played 'By' the person nor does it could as a card played 'On' a person.
Scenario #2:
Person A plays 'Caddy' on Person B. Person B plays 'No Way' on Person A. Both players may still play another card and have a card played on them.
Scenario #3:
Person A plays 'Caddy' on Person B. Person B plays 'No Way' on Person A. Person C plays 'No Way' on Person B. Persons B & C can still play a card this turn. Person A successfully played 'Caddy' on Person B.

4. Unfamiliar Discs
Scenario #4:
Person A plays 'Unfamiliar Discs' on Persons B & C. Now no one can play a card on Persons B & C for the remainder of the hole.

5. Caddy – The 'Caddy' is further defined as having to provide the player with desired items from their bag.

6. You cannot play 'Rubber and Glue' on the 'No Way' card.

7. You discard down to seven cards the moment you go over seven cards. You do not play a card and then discard down to seven.

8. Holing out – If you hole out by putting your disc in the basket you can still have cards played on you such as 'Lie Swap' & 'Cancel Shot'.

* The only House Rule is that no matter what RIPT Revenge card is played on any Ace (even a Black Ace), that Ace still counts. So go ahead and sign that disc and put it on the wall even if someone swaps lies with you.

my general statements about the game...

- it's only fun when you have 4-6 poeple
- it takes as long to play one round of ript as it does to play 2.5 rounds casually
- this game can be on both sides of the fun spectrum. SUPER fun with fun people, COMPLETELY horrible with idiots.
- ript is very handy to spice things up and break up the daily grind of average play
- i've never played for real cash, but it sounds like fun
- if you don't like a card, make up your own rules and even cross out some cards and add your own stuff on them

To avaoid prerubage, I am reviving this antiquated discussion about RIPT Revenge. We played a round of it after the ace race with 10 folks, 5 sets of doubles, and it was a blast. That one one of the funnest rounds I ever played. Even when my lie got moved into a yard full of thicket and was forced to throw a roller blindly, LOL.

I highly recommend trying this card game to spice up a round at your local course. :clap::D

I owned the game for about a year and never played it. Took it out 10 days ago. We have played over 75% of our rounds playing Ript Revenge. Second day playing Ript I got an ace. Buddy had a cancel in his hand, I told him I Dont care. We counted it of course. Its a good game but it needs a few tweaks. I am going to write on the cards.

It's hard to find the original Ript game anymore.
I looked extensively online a while back and couldn't find anyone who still had the original version in stock.