• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roc for putting

I did a search, and I'm bringing this one back from the dead! ha

So after playing a decent round yesterday and ending at +4 due to my putts I was driving home and actually thought about what I had changed in my putting to go from shooting around +1(2) per round to an average of +4(up to 6) a round in the last year. My driving has actually improved in the last year but my putts were where I was getting into trouble. I know those two strokes seems paltry, but I play on the same course at least 150+ times a year, so to actually run my average up that much is pretty noticeable to me. I was feeling slightly defeated.

As I sat on my couch watching the replay of Arsenal vs Orient I had an epiphany. I have been taking other peoples advise too much on my putting/disc choice. When I first started playing I bought an XD as my only putter. I used that consistently for the first 6 months and then I started to throw my Roc on occasion just so I didn't have to grab my putter and I started to notice that I was making more putts. At that point I started using the Roc as my putter and I shaved a few strokes off of every round I played.

/Cut to when I started reading up on DG on the webzz/

I kept hearing how you cant putt with a midrange and how thats something that only no0bs do, so I dropped my Roc and started trying different putters. Over the next few months I bought an aviar, polecat, DART, jk aviar, classic roc, magnet, ryhno and I also threw my friends putters sometimes to try them out. I settled on the DART, I really liked the way it flew because it kept really straight and had some good glide. And so I have putt with the DART for the last year and slowly noticed my scores creeping back up. It never really hit me until last night that I have been playing so much worse than I was a year ago. Then I realized the only thing that changed in my game.... I quit putting with my San Marino Roc! After this revelation I grabbed my basket and ran to the back yard (I get excited). As soon as I gripped it to take a putt everything made sense to me. My grip felt perfect, I suddenly wasn't thinking about my grip at all, it was effortless. So I lined up and started shooting.. About 70 putts later I was smiling like a child. I had made at least 75-80% of my putts from 10-35' (which is good for me lately.. ha) and all of the shots I missed, I missed low. I couldn't believe it, all this time I had been searching for a disc that felt this comfortable in my hand and flew with just the right amount of fade for me to hit the chains consistently.

So here I am, putting with a midrange.

Putting is all about confidence and comfort (not "noticing" the feel of the putter)
If it works for you, then do it!!

Use what works best for you, but be aware that some mids and drivers will tend to bounce out more when you don't make that perfect putt. I used to putt with a Cro, and that worked pretty well since it has a fairly blunt nose. I've got a buddy that putts with an Orc, and he is a pretty solid putter. But he does get some really strange kick-outs once in a while.

Sounds good, BarkBuster. Where I'm from (Southern MN), there's never any talk about mids being a poor choice for putting. That's probably because the top pro in my area uses Rocs for putters. His rating is 992 and he's most well-known for his superb putting.

If it feels good and gives you confidence to use a mid, that's all that matters. Putting is about comfort, confidence and consistency. The choice of disc is minimal.

I love the Lat. 64 putters, I really like the little "grip pad" they give you on the top of the disc.

What I have found that is not so much the putter as it is you. Practice makes perfect. If you like a faster putter, that feels like a midrange, you might want to check out the Innova XD.

What I have found that is not so much the putter as it is you. Practice makes perfect. If you like a faster putter, that feels like a midrange, you might want to check out the Innova XD.

My first putter. :) I was using it over the weekend actually. I actually started driving with the XD a little bit, I love that little disc. hah.. good suggestion though because I do really like that disc! :clap:

I did a search, and I'm bringing this one back from the dead! ha

So after playing a decent round yesterday and ending at +4 due to my putts I was driving home and actually thought about what I had changed in my putting to go from shooting around +1(2) per round to an average of +4(up to 6) a round in the last year. My driving has actually improved in the last year but my putts were where I was getting into trouble. I know those two strokes seems paltry, but I play on the same course at least 150+ times a year, so to actually run my average up that much is pretty noticeable to me. I was feeling slightly defeated.

As I sat on my couch watching the replay of Arsenal vs Orient I had an epiphany. I have been taking other peoples advise too much on my putting/disc choice. When I first started playing I bought an XD as my only putter. I used that consistently for the first 6 months and then I started to throw my Roc on occasion just so I didn't have to grab my putter and I started to notice that I was making more putts. At that point I started using the Roc as my putter and I shaved a few strokes off of every round I played.

/Cut to when I started reading up on DG on the webzz/

I kept hearing how you cant putt with a midrange and how thats something that only no0bs do, so I dropped my Roc and started trying different putters. Over the next few months I bought an aviar, polecat, DART, jk aviar, classic roc, magnet, ryhno and I also threw my friends putters sometimes to try them out. I settled on the DART, I really liked the way it flew because it kept really straight and had some good glide. And so I have putt with the DART for the last year and slowly noticed my scores creeping back up. It never really hit me until last night that I have been playing so much worse than I was a year ago. Then I realized the only thing that changed in my game.... I quit putting with my San Marino Roc! After this revelation I grabbed my basket and ran to the back yard (I get excited). As soon as I gripped it to take a putt everything made sense to me. My grip felt perfect, I suddenly wasn't thinking about my grip at all, it was effortless. So I lined up and started shooting.. About 70 putts later I was smiling like a child. I had made at least 75-80% of my putts from 10-35' (which is good for me lately.. ha) and all of the shots I missed, I missed low. I couldn't believe it, all this time I had been searching for a disc that felt this comfortable in my hand and flew with just the right amount of fade for me to hit the chains consistently.

So here I am, putting with a midrange.

I don't see a Wizard in the list of putters... so that's probably your problem!
;)

I would be very comfortable not carrying a putter at all. I use a Roc and a Stratus for long putts anyway, with great success.

When I hear that people are more comfortable putting with mids than putters, it gives me the impression that you are not comfortable with the drop rate of putters. For the same power, mids have better glide than putters. To get putters to have the same glide then you need to introduce more power, and the adding of more power only adds more body motion which in turn leads to more things that possibly can go wrong.

Four years ago my frustration putter was a Z Buzzz. Two years ago it was a FLX Drone. Last year it was a Star Ontario Roc. This year it is my Cryztal Buzzz.

Couple of suggestions:

1) Putt with a mid and do not care what others think. I use this philosophy with longer putts. I can keep relatively the same power and stroke but I use a Buzzz.

2) Wipe clean the stamp/ graphic off from the mid so no one knows that it is a mid. Putt with that and just act natural like you are putting with a putter. Honestly, most people do not care that you putt with a mid unless you make a deal about putting with a mid. This is kind of like a don't-ask-don't-tell policy.

3) Find a putter with less of a drop rate. This is one that I struggle with. I am either constantly missing to the right or hitting the cage. This is a viable option to consider because while putting with a mid seems more accurate for me, their glide (and thus less of a drop rate) can easily put me just as far away on the opposite side of the basket. I wish I could recommend a putter here because I have tried almost all of them at some point, but there are too many variables like: how much power are you comfortable with?, putt flat or with a hyzer?, what type of grip are you comfortable with?.

4) Go with a mixture of putters, concentrate on confidence in your self, and do not be locked in into making a single putter do everything. This is more of the archer-not-the-arrow approach. For example, have a main putter for standard situations, use a more overstable putter like a Zone or Pig for windy conditions, and use a mid for longer putts. You are introducing the possibility of second guessing a putter decision but at the same time you remove all the decisions about adjustments to your putting style to compensate for distances, wind, and obstacles. Some putters just cannot handle distances or headwinds or drop and or fade too quickly once they run out of power.

Latest posts