• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc3x midrange

I have never known what zipper top meant... can someone help me with my ignorance...

I've asked this question before so I think I finally know! It's where the top of the disc has little tiny circular grooves like a record. I think if you run your fingernail down it, it's supposed to make a certain sound, but you can see it pretty easily in good light too. I think it's supposed to be the sign of a new top mold piece because it wears off the mold after a while.

Zippertop refers to a concentric circle pattern on discs out of new molds, like a record. You can pull your finger across the top of the disc and it makes a sound similar to a zipper being pulled. Typically flat, or close to it.

^beat me to it.

I've never encountered that.

I understand it shows up on discs made from brand new (physical) molds, which then smooth out with use. I've seen a few discs here and there that were like that, mostly Discraft molds (not to impugn them, but just sayin').

I understand it shows up on discs made from brand new (physical) molds, which then smooth out with use. I've seen a few discs here and there that were like that, mostly Discraft molds (not to impugn them, but just sayin').

AR discs will often have zipper tops. I can recall my Zombies and Mantises having them, but it was pretty subtle.

these look great. hope they come to a regular production. don't need this slot currently but dang they look like a nice mold

IIRC, weren't zippertop Rhynos a hot ticket item at one point. From when Innova had to replace the Rhyno mold, at least the top mold?

I think this had more to do with the fact that those Rhynos were all supposed to be CE plastic. Not 100% on that, but it makes sense if the originals were CE (and not marked with a stamp to indicate them as such) the only way to tell would be the zipper top indicating very early on in the mold history. Otherwise, zipper top does not really mean anything special.

Zippertop means the mold is new.

You're seeing the fresh CNC marks.

For Innova discs that means it was probably ran in smaller numbers (more consistent), with higher quality plastic and should fly true to numbers.

Got to test out my rocx3. Definitely flies as described. It's like a gator and roc3 lovechild.

Available once again right now at innova pro shop. Last I saw it said three blues but none actually available. 9 oranges and 150 reds. Cheers

Got some! Thanks for the update. Really looking forward to these. About the only new disc I could possibly be interested in buying right now. This will fight with the Verdict for a spot in the bag. I might be able to rock an all Innova/Discmania bag finally. :thmbup:

Latest posts