• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rookie Frustrations

BigBelly

With the responsibilities of a full-time job, family, bills, dog, cats, you can imagine that it can be hard sometimes to get out and "meander through a field with some frisbees." So here I am, going through forums, researching discs and grips and techniques and... You get the point. I'm pretty much supplanting my inability to break away and living vicariously through you all.

So now, by the time I finally do get the chance to take in a quick 9, my mind is going a million miles an hour over arm speed, release angle, which throwing position to use... Basically, I'm over-thinking my game, shanking drives, missing putts, and getting spanked by my buddy who's just stepping up and letting it fly. They say knowledge is power, but my scorecards are begging to differ.

Here are the main struggles I face at the moment:
Power vs. Precision? Do I work on my ability to bomb a shot (x-stepping) or use shorter, more controlled drives (standing twist) to put it on line?
Stick to one throwing style and nail it down, or use what seems right for the shot and bring the arsenal up slowly but together? I'm equally comfortable with RHBH, RHFH, and LHBH. I typically use LHBH for my putts and mids, but go with a RHFH on drives. I'll switch to a RHBH if I am trying to get the disc to come in from another angle. The largest flaw I've had in this is my execution (release timing/angle) sending the disc careening off far from where I wanted it.

I realize most of this frustration is due to lack of time on the course and that with practice will come perfection, but give me a break... What have some of you done to break down your game and get the most out of one session? Mind you, I'm usually under some sort of time constraint or have a kid (or 2 or 3) with me wondering off or crying about not wanting to walk. Distractions abound! :D

With the responsibilities of a full-time job, family, bills, dog, cats, you can imagine that it can be hard sometimes to get out and "meander through a field with some frisbees." So here I am, going through forums, researching discs and grips and techniques and... You get the point. I'm pretty much supplanting my inability to break away and living vicariously through you all.

So now, by the time I finally do get the chance to take in a quick 9, my mind is going a million miles an hour over arm speed, release angle, which throwing position to use... Basically, I'm over-thinking my game, shanking drives, missing putts, and getting spanked by my buddy who's just stepping up and letting it fly. They say knowledge is power, but my scorecards are begging to differ.

Here are the main struggles I face at the moment:
Power vs. Precision? Do I work on my ability to bomb a shot (x-stepping) or use shorter, more controlled drives (standing twist) to put it on line?

Depends on where you play most. If you play a lot of open courses, focus a little more on driving. If you tend to find yourself aiming for gaps and needing to shape more shots, focus on that. Another way to look at it is that you'll use approach shots and putts on every hole you play, where you might not need a big drive on every hole.

Stick to one throwing style and nail it down, or use what seems right for the shot and bring the arsenal up slowly but together? I'm equally comfortable with RHBH, RHFH, and LHBH. I typically use LHBH for my putts and mids, but go with a RHFH on drives. I'll switch to a RHBH if I am trying to get the disc to come in from another angle. The largest flaw I've had in this is my execution (release timing/angle) sending the disc careening off far from where I wanted it.

Again, it depends on your goals. If you don't foresee yourself playing in tourneys and just want to compete with your buds, then focus on one or two styles and get decent at them. If you're looking for long term success, practice everything. The first option will yield faster, short term gains whereas the second option will be a slower more balanced growth method. Unless you're ambidextrous, I would recommend sticking to your dominant hand (I'm assuming it's the left as you use it for touch shots) and getting decent at LHFH for your left turning shots. Others may disagree.

I realize most of this frustration is due to lack of time on the course and that with practice will come perfection, but give me a break... What have some of you done to break down your game and get the most out of one session? Mind you, I'm usually under some sort of time constraint or have a kid (or 2 or 3) with me wondering off or crying about not wanting to walk. Distractions abound! :D Give it time and make sure the kids enjoy being out with dad on the course. Don't pressure them to play, but provide them with lightweight mids or putters to play around with. Hopefully as they get older they'll become addicted too and then they'll be begging you to play! If it's all against one, Mom should cave and spend the family bonding time walking along (or playing too if you're real lucky).

See bolded above

Just looked at your home course and can tell you for certain that you should be working on your midrange skillz. Looks like a great course to learn on and given a little practice you should be able to park those holes with a mid. Using a mid gives you a lot more control than a driver and average players should be able to push one to 225 - 250ft.

Relax and enjoy your game. If you get all freaked out that you can't drive 450' after playing only once a week for a year, you'll get burned out, and you and the whole family will just hate the game. Stop sperging out on DG minutia off the course, and just have fun with the game.
EDIT: if the above post is true, try playing with just a handful of mids and putters, learn to carve lines with them. Keep a single driver, at most two, and learn them really well before diversifying.

Last edited:
keep doing what you are doing. I am in the same situation (busy life with kids, etc.) so I can not play nearly as much as I'd like, and when I do I overthink everything and many of my scores suck. but so what? I keep getting a little better every year 'cause I keep trying.

So...keep reading, keep thinking, practice your putts, play when you can, stay positive, and remember the "play" part of playing golf. bottom line in golf is "whoever has the most fun, wins"

@jtreadwell - Agreed on the home course stuff. There's really only one hole open enough for a big drive, the rest have at least a few obstacles in the way. I had a couple guys trailing me the other day and happened to noticed the disc he used to park it under this "big drive" pin and it was a beat to hell Pro-D Buzzz... Guess I have a ways to go. :) As for the kiddos, typically it's my 4yo and 1.5yo daughters that I drag along. The little one chills in the stroller for most of it and my oldest hasn't quite grasped the idea of throwing a disc. But I'll tell you what, her and her cousin (also 4) love to go tearing after my disc, fighting over who's going to pick it up and bring it back! Pretty much this is where I get most of my exercise, running after them to spot my lie before they can get to it! :D

@Grungedude42 - I've kind of stumbled upon this by accident. With the nights coming earlier and having to play more dusk/night games, it's become increasingly harder to find an off thrown, teal driver than it has been a dayglow-yellow mid so I've been leaving the driver in the car. I'll start doing this more often during day games too since I usually only roll 3 discs deep anyway. Guess I'll start getting a better feel for my buzzz, comet, and banger!

I typically use LHBH for my putts and mids, but go with a RHFH on drives.

I did the samething 4 months in, LHBH up to 80-100' out and RHBH from the tee.
Since the LHBH had the better control, I just started over with all LHBH. Over the course of a year I have started to get some distance, keep the control and develope good form habbits.

reading is good, lots of solo games are better.

I did the samething 4 months in, LHBH up to 80-100' out and RHBH from the tee.
Since the LHBH had the better control, I just started over with all LHBH. Over the course of a year I have started to get some distance, keep the control and develope good form habbits.

reading is good, lots of solo games are better.

And that's what gets to me. I am one of those crazy, half ambidextrous fools that anything requiring power (throwing, punching, shooting, kicking) is all off my right while finesse like writing and eating is acquired with my left. I can putt right handed, it just "feels" tighter and more controlled with the left. SMH

I just don't want to be that guy who 5 years from now says "Gee, I shoulda done it this way and my game would have been 10 times better..."

Also bringing up the point that as my comforts (therefore strengths?) are LHBH and RHFH, I'm not working on a solid way to drop the disc in naturally to the left like a normal RHBH... Since I'm far more comfortable in my RHFH, and my LHFH looks (and feels) more like a broken chicken wing, would it stand to reason that I'd be better rewarded to practice RHBH from the tee, looking to gain power and accuracy as my experience grows and use the LHBH for my closer mids and putts? Has anyone ever even heard of such a weird style? Unfortunately, it kinda makes sense in my head...

With time being an issue, maybe skip playing 9 and go hit the field a couple of times. You can get substantially more throws in, which can be a big help in figuring stuff out.

With time being an issue, maybe skip playing 9 and go hit the field a couple of times. You can get substantially more throws in, which can be a big help in figuring stuff out.

Interesting thought... Wonder if the wife would approve "fetch" with the kids?!? HAHAHA!

Interesting thought... Wonder if the wife would approve "fetch" with the kids?!? HAHAHA!

I do that all the time. I'll take the kids (5 and 8) to the park, they play on the playground until I empty my bag with throws, and then they go help me pick up all the discs. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Gets the kids to the park, earns brownie points from the wife and gets me some practice in all at the same time. Everybody wins!

Also bringing up the point that as my comforts (therefore strengths?) are LHBH and RHFH, I'm not working on a solid way to drop the disc in naturally to the left like a normal RHBH... Since I'm far more comfortable in my RHFH, and my LHFH looks (and feels) more like a broken chicken wing, would it stand to reason that I'd be better rewarded to practice RHBH from the tee, looking to gain power and accuracy as my experience grows and use the LHBH for my closer mids and putts? Has anyone ever even heard of such a weird style? Unfortunately, it kinda makes sense in my head...

You could also do well by practicing a turnover/anhyzer shot with that comet of yours. Given enough oomph, it will go left.

I definitely think improving accuracy is most important. When the accuracy is getting better, you can slowly work on improving distance. Distance without accuracy doesn't mean much, but accuracy without much distance can still get a decent score.

First and foremost as I understand your post, you are missing the key element, fun. It doesn't seem like you are having enough fun in your desire for perfection.

To borrow a line form SGT Hulka, "Lighten up, Francis."

No offense, but time takes time. What should you work on? You'll get a ton of advice. And without a lot of real valuable information on how you are really doing. If you truly want to improve, then you are gonna have to spend more time doing it. Get up a little earlier and throw practice putts. Get a practice basket and throw some at lunch. Find a park with an open area and a playground. Take the family and throw some too. Find a family friendly course and take them along even if its just a walk in the park and a picnic. Quality time spent with the family could actually allow them to give you some more "me" time. And for God sake if you do go with the family, don't go with the expectation of shredding the course, think about all of you having a fun time.

Find time, we are usually not as busy as we think we are.

And if you truly MUST improve NOW, start from the basket out. Remember, drive for show, putt for dough. Practice your putting until you are consistently knocking it stiff from 30+ feet. Once you're happy with that, work on the approach. An awesome approach means an easy putt. Now that you've got that mid game where it needs to be, then go big.

And lastly, while you are waiting for those magical 400+ foot drives, always, always think course management. Perhaps a well placed 200 foot drive gives you an easy 100+ foot approach for the safe 3 and a few birds too. Instead of a drive a long way, but the wrong way.

Good luck and have fun.

I hear ya. My problem when I hit the course is my view of lacking available time. I get in the mindset that I'd rather rip through 2, 9-hole rounds while I got the chance over practice putting. Don't get me wrong, I see the need to stand there, slow things down, and sink the putts. I KNOW most of my high scores or coming from missed putts, even if the wild drive aren't helping.

Damn, this means it's time to go find the threads on alternative targets that don't burn my wallet or break my back to make... You people and your good, solid advice suck! :D

On that note, anyone else see this "1025" putting game? http://www.discgolfbasketstore.com/1025-discgolfgame/

Damn, this means it's time to go find the threads on alternative targets that don't burn my wallet or break my back to make...

Here's one that will cost you nothing and take 2 minutes to assemble - bar stool with a box on top of it with the box opening facing you. Not optimal, but enough for getting started on grooving your putting form.

^good advice here.

Get a stack of DX teebirds and a stack of your choice putter and go the field. Don't take your hole bag, just bring 1 or two different molds and work on them.

start with the putters... throw the stack, walk and retrieve, then thrown them back. do it a few cycles then switch to the teebirds.

I get in the mindset that I'd rather rip through 2, 9-hole rounds while I got the chance over practice putting.

Exactly my point. Don't rip thru 9. Take your time with 9. Slow down your pace. Relax & execute. Look for 3 lines for every shot. Pick your target whether driving, approaching or putting. Look for your best line to achieve success and then throw. Then if you run out of time with just 9 spend the remaining time practice putting or whatever you think needs the most work.

Next time out remember your successes and perhaps try something new with your failures.

You need to play with me. I'm old and crippled and I don't rush with anything. And no matter how much I suck, I have fun.

^good advice here.

Get a stack of DX teebirds and a stack of your choice putter and go the field. Don't take your hole bag, just bring 1 or two different molds and work on them.

start with the putters... throw the stack, walk and retrieve, then thrown them back. do it a few cycles then switch to the teebirds.

What is a hole bag, and where can I get one?

Latest posts