• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rookie Frustrations

Seriously though, great advice.

Get a stack of DX teebirds and a stack of your choice putter and go the field. Don't take your hole bag, just bring 1 or two different molds and work on them.

start with the putters... throw the stack, walk and retrieve, then thrown them back. do it a few cycles then switch to the teebirds.

Yeah, a stack of one breed isn't quite in the budget right now. Can bairly justify the need (read cost) for a putt, mid, driver combo to my wife. Unless I can find a sick deal (gotta talk in terms of a "sale", you know how it is) like a back of the truck guy, I'm going for one at a time to keep it under the radar.

Also, I decided to stick with Discraft for the time being to keep things simple. I was getting too tied up in ratings and numbers. Discraft is simple. On that note, the discs I've amassed on a recent truck deal were:

Avenger SS FLX
Surge FLX
Buzzz ESP
Comet Z
Soft Magnet Pro-D
Banger GT Pro-D

Right now my line-up has been the Avenger SS, Buzzz, and Banger. I got the variety to feel them out cause it was relatively cheap. Dig the Buzzz and Banger, but I feel I try to put too much power into my drives to have any sort of accuracy with the Avenger. But man, when I have gotten it right a couple times, that puppy flew! (For my ability, anyway...)

Get used to that Banger and Buzz! I am a devout Banger devotee and will highly recommend it. One thing I've noticed is that when I use my banger to putt (usually I use it for approach only and putt with magnets) I have the most success with an aggressive, whip-like spin putt (spin putting is putting like throwing normally FYI). How do you putt? Are you aggressive or do you tend to lay up?

Get used to that Banger and Buzz! I am a devout Banger devotee and will highly recommend it. One thing I've noticed is that when I use my banger to putt (usually I use it for approach only and putt with magnets) I have the most success with an aggressive, whip-like spin putt (spin putting is putting like throwing normally FYI). How do you putt? Are you aggressive or do you tend to lay up?

I go for it each time. I will usually end up missing to the side and having to come back for it or being weak on the delivery and dropping in front. Since I don't practice putting much, I couldn't really tell you what style I use as i have just been doing whatever I can to get it in.

Next up: checking out putting styles on youtube to practice.

I go for it each time. I will usually end up missing to the side and having to come back for it or being weak on the delivery and dropping in front. Since I don't practice putting much, I couldn't really tell you what style I use as i have just been doing whatever I can to get it in.

Next up: checking out putting styles on youtube to practice.

You may have heard this bit of wisdom already, but try focusing and aiming for a single chain link somewhere near the center of the basket. That way, if you miss your target you're still likely hitting chains. It may be mostly psychological but it truly helps.

You may have heard this bit of wisdom already, but try focusing and aiming for a single chain link somewhere near the center of the basket. That way, if you miss your target you're still likely hitting chains. It may be mostly psychological but it truly helps.

This helps a lot. Everytime I don't focus on a single link I miss. Almost everytime I do, I make it.

job,wife,kids, all that too.

I hit the course alone between 6:00 - 7:00 AM on the weekends, home before anyone knows i was gone.:eek:
No waiting, no rush & I can throw 2 lines all the way. This way I get double the shots & usually with different discs. I have learned a lot on disc selection and applied it to group games.

When I see improvement it tends to be in small leaps...
...One leap forward followed by 2 steps back.

Simplify your game and bag as much as possible. If you are too busy to master 15 discs or whatever you are carrying, narrow it down s small as you can, and practice with those discs until you are happy. Then add 1 disc at a time to fill a major need. That will all change as you progress.

What's the saying from Mel Gibson's "The Patriot," "Aim small, miss small"?
I had not thought of this or heard it before and will have to try it. :thmbup:

What's the saying from Mel Gibson's "The Patriot," "Aim small, miss small"?
I had not thought of this or heard it before and will have to try it. :thmbup:

It makes the putt less stressful too because you don't have to hit your target to make the putt. If you look at the basket as a whole it can be a bit more intimidating.

:thmbup: Very good advice. As simple as it sounds it really does help a lot. Majority of putting is focus and confidence, honing in on a single chain link can work wonders. Usually when I miss it is because I am just aiming at the entire basket. When I am hitting, it is usually do to laser focus on a single link and hitting it.

Simplify your game and bag as much as possible. If you are too busy to master 15 discs or whatever you are carrying, narrow it down s small as you can, and practice with those discs until you are happy. Then add 1 disc at a time to fill a major need. That will all change as you progress.

:thmbup: More great advice. Start small then expand when you feel comfortable. Build up a strong core of discs, your "go to" discs and work them as much as possible. Then as you improve you can add in a disc to fill a need you may encounter during the process. Trying to master 15-20 discs is hard, start small (3-6 discs) and slowly add more as your game and experience grow.

Use Youtube for putting videos, the best thing you can do is to try and master putting. A basket for home is nice, but might not be in the budget. Get creative and use a fence post, or mark a section on a tree trunk to hit, anything to work on hitting a skinny object. Then the basket will look huge when you go back to the course with all those chains dangling around it.

Of course the best advice is have fun. Good luck! :clap:

I got my 4 year old a disc (star tl) that has the batman emblem on it. This way he has his own disc when we play. We usually can get through 9 holes if we make sure he gets to throw too. I make sure it's not all about disc golf when he's there. We break and have bonding time too. Good luck with the kids! It's rough at first but if you can get them involved, it's easier in the long run.

Pick your target and aim at it. I know several people that can't tell me if they were laying up or going for it on the past throw. Decide what you're doing and aim for that result. If I'm playing a safe shot that might go in if it hangs in the air, I'm aiming for a point 5-10' or so behind the basket on the ground where I want my disc to land.

Having a backhand and forehand is great for your game, IMO. however, I don't see any real gains in being ambidextrous. I've tried exclusive backhand for the past 4 years, and have been practicing my forehand for the past few months and it is a lot of fun being able to throw shots on holes that I would struggle with backhand. To make everything less frustrating, maybe just have one goal per round. i.e. I'm going to work on my reach back today. You said your mind was going a million miles an hour, if you slow down and concentrate on one thing, I think you'll be pleased with the results at the end of the round. After a few rounds, you've improved multiple aspects of your game, and it will all start to come together

Just want to say you all are awesome and thanks for wisdom! Keep it coming!

Having a backhand and forehand is great for your game, IMO. however, I don't see any real gains in being ambidextrous. I've tried exclusive backhand for the past 4 years, and have been practicing my forehand for the past few months and it is a lot of fun being able to throw shots on holes that I would struggle with backhand. To make everything less frustrating, maybe just have one goal per round. i.e. I'm going to work on my reach back today. You said your mind was going a million miles an hour, if you slow down and concentrate on one thing, I think you'll be pleased with the results at the end of the round. After a few rounds, you've improved multiple aspects of your game, and it will all start to come together

If you can eliminate the "if" from your game, abidexterity is a good thing. If you throw shots because you feel like that's the right line, whether or not you're good enough to throw it, you've got an "if". "If I pull off this shot, it will work perfectly."

If you can eliminate the "if" from your game, abidexterity is a good thing. If you throw shots because you feel like that's the right line, whether or not you're good enough to throw it, you've got an "if". "If I pull off this shot, it will work perfectly."

I just feel like you can accomplish every shot with a backhand forehand and its a waste of time to incorporate the off hand, but that's my opinion

I just feel like you can accomplish every shot with a backhand forehand and its a waste of time to incorporate the off hand, but that's my opinion

Well, there are certainly awkward lies that being able to use both hands would be worthwhile. Also, it's my understanding that throwing a FH for distance equal to a BH is a fool's errand, although I have nowhere near the FH it would take to test that theory.

I have been working on my LHBH so that I am not using my right arm and shoulder as much. The shoulder gets sore from using a lot, and every throw that can be made with the other arm is more disc golf that I can play. :)

Latest posts