• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roy G opened today

im not saying its impossible...im just saying dont expect to see that kind of record come any time soon.

i agree on that. it would be a sweeeeeeeet place to follow a top card and could make for some really good video. i think that it's just right in terms of the degree of tightness required to make a great video; not so tight that lighting is low and it's difficult for the camera guys/gals to get into the right position, but with enough tree definition to give the picture some depth feel and context.

sub 50 is going to take a while. even 1030 rated guys will struggle out here.

You want to land flat out at Roy G. They have carefully put little skip bunkers that are cleared out in the sides of some of the par 4 fairways. Some of them hurt you if you shank it, some are meant as landing zones.

I had a good shot at 56 today but finished out 4/6 and shot 60.

the average score for most of the top pros around here will be 57-60. 54 is probably going to be the usual hot round and I expect someone to get 52-54 soon. The problem is the par 3's aren't the kind of shots you can shank and still have a putt for 2. You gotta bring it on every hole at Roy G, as I just found out when I blew my chance at 56.

Definitely going to be working on my roller for a few of the holes if I find myself in tight spots. Its rare to have this much grass on an austin course

Beaver Ranch, long time top 10 course is at least a mile walk from the parking area to the course. (unless it changed in the last 3 years)

Understand...but it's not quite the same. If you have to walk from the parking lot just to get to the course that is one thing. But if the course starts by the parking lot and ends a good distance from the parking lot...that is a design flaw and worthy of a ding.

there wasnt much mike could have done in terms of that flaw. i agree it is a flaw but the area thats between 18 and 1 is a creek bed /flood zone so its impractical to design more holes in that area just to have it finish closer to where u start.

there wasnt much mike could have done in terms of that flaw. i agree it is a flaw but the area thats between 18 and 1 is a creek bed /flood zone so its impractical to design more holes in that area just to have it finish closer to where u start.

disagree

i'm saying that it's possible to design a course there with two loops of nine, both of which bring players back near the parking lot. i could easily do it.

it appears that mike had other priorities that he placed higher, that's his prerogative. remember that i gave this course a 4.5/5 rating. i've only given 8 4.5's out of 91 reviews. (and have yet to give a 5).

this is a point of course design which matters a fair amount to me. i recognize that there are lots of players who couldn't give a rip about it. simple difference of opinion.

If you have to walk from the parking lot just to get to the course that is one thing. But if the course starts by the parking lot and ends a good distance from the parking lot...that is a design flaw and worthy of a ding.

Actually there is a bit of a walk to get to hole #1 as well. Mine is the review you were referring too. I mentioned the walk back after 18 but forgot to mention the walk to 1 if that makes you feel better. I would say the walks are similar to what Circle C and Wilco have from their parking areas to and from the course and do not warrant a drop in rating but I thought I would mention it in the cons.

Starting and finishing at the parking lot is nice but there's also something to be said about having the course secluded and hidden by a strip of untouched land like Roy G. has. And I disagree with needing a figure 8 loop back to the parking lot. Just man up and play a whole 18 holes.

I drove down from Dallas to take care of some business up there and heard about it so I found it and played a round. All I have say is it was the best course by far I have played and the only thing I wish it had was some holes where water came into play. Its so long I wish it had a water fountain on hole 9 lol

I would definitely take 5 or 10 discs outta the bag to add 2 more waters in this summer heat! An insulated thermos would be best. Hell, pushing a cart with an extra gallon would be even better.

the next mini or tourney there..im bringin my cart and ice chest

If they have a full blown tourney out there they need to put some course closed signs at hole #1. We had two cards of casuals between us and the card in front of us all day. 4.5 - 5 hours for one round. I picked a hell of a day to not have breakfast.

The mini on Sunday did take forever to finish but I don't think the city will allow anyone to close a public park even for a tourney.

there is a difference between 'park closed' and 'course closed'

Walking is a ding? Stop being fat
Oh, I get it. If anyone but a "trusted reviewer" dares to express their opinion on what they like/don't like about a course they get met with derision.
"Waaah......someone doesn't like on teeny little aspect of my precious course"
Stay classy Austin.

Nope nothing like that

If you have a problem with walking 1000ft to/from a course something is wrong.

Roy G walks about 2.8 miles(not measures)

The entrance and exit are both easily accessible. The parking lot just happens to be set a good ways from both. The parking lots have been at the complex for probably 30+ years...the disc course 3 days. The course was not originally intended for that parking lot. The fact that it connects in any way considering there is a dry creek bed between the lot and DGC is a blessing

I have a serious issue with human beings that don't like walking to do things if they are fully capable

Last edited:
Nope nothing like that

If you have a problem with walking 1000ft to/from a course something is wrong.

Roy G walks about 2.8 miles(not measures)

The entrance and exit are both easily accessible. The parking lot just happens to be set a good ways from both. The parking lots have been at the complex for probably 30+ years...the disc course 3 days. The course was not originally intended for that parking lot. The fact that it connects in any way considering there is a dry creek bed between the lot and DGC is a blessing

I have a serious issue with human beings that don't like walking to do things if they are fully capable
Dude, I walk Buffalo Ridge 3 times a week. It's on a mountain. But it is also built close to the parking lot...both 1 and 18. That's what I like. When I'm at a course I want to play. When I'm done I want to go. Accessibility is something I value in a course. Something I value. Not you, me.
Obviously, though, you would rather call people names and insult them than attempt to understand that different people view courses in different ways.

Last edited:
The mini on Sunday did take forever to finish but I don't think the city will allow anyone to close a public park even for a tourney.

The park would remain open silly. You just put a sign at hole #1. They do it all the time in most big tourneys. When a TD gets permission to host a tourney they are getting the course for a day.

Latest posts