• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

rules dilemma

Yeah but you wouldn't think twice about someone flipping it back before that was a rule, now if you ever see someone flipping it you know something isn't right.

true. idk, its more fun to imagine a corporate scandal between the pdga and discraft ;)

true. idk, its more fun to imagine a corporate scandal between the pdga and discraft ;)

Let's go viral on the interwebs and put the word out about "frisbee-gate". We do it out of spite to Whamo for bogarting the frisbee name. If we can get it out there enough, the frisbee name will become common usage ala "kleenex". Our law fir would obviously be Anheuser and Anheuser. :D

In my first ever Tier B last year there was guy on our card pencil whipping the rest of us. I didn't take notice until another member of the card discreetly mentioned it. After a hole or two more the Enforcer in our group confronted the guy with our support. Until this tournament, I've only noticed players making the rare "mistake" on the recalling the actual shots it took to complete a hole. I can understand losing stroke count on a hole where the loss of drive is followed by multiple OB shots to add up to monstrous number, but, deliberately shaving strokes in an attempt to win cash or prizes is classless and shows a lack of integrity. Now I know why some guys keep their own card.
I've been called on following a putt and do not mind, how else am I going to learn?

Marking the Lie 803.03
Can not touch (flip) the disc until the Lie is established with a Mini, otherwise it is cheating.

In my first ever Tier B last year there was guy on our card pencil whipping the rest of us. I didn't take notice until another member of the card discreetly mentioned it. After a hole or two more the Enforcer in our group confronted the guy with our support. Until this tournament, I've only noticed players making the rare "mistake" on the recalling the actual shots it took to complete a hole. I can understand losing stroke count on a hole where the loss of drive is followed by multiple OB shots to add up to monstrous number, but, deliberately shaving strokes in an attempt to win cash or prizes is classless and shows a lack of integrity. Now I know why some guys keep their own card.
I've been called on following a putt and do not mind, how else am I going to learn?

Marking the Lie 803.03
Can not touch (flip) the disc until the Lie is established with a Mini, otherwise it is cheating.
Did he not call out the strokes he was writing down? Did you guys not take turns with the card?

He called out the correct strokes but recorded a lower number. When the rest of the us saw the card we immediately called him on on the discrepancies. He played it off as an innocent mistake, which of course was not the case.

That's one of those things (to flip or not flip) that I'd never let bother me when friends do it during casual play, which is all I'm likely to ever do. I'm going to try to use the mini from now on just to get into the habit.
During casual play, I use bar coasters instead of minis. Keeps me focused on learning tournament behavior and losing a biodegradable coaster is better than leaving a plastic mini behind.

It took me awhile to break the "go search for my disc immediately" instead of the proper tournament pace of "just going to the next disc". I like this for casual play. It can be slower, but it is more social.

All rule infractions should be self called. If not, then I will call point it out that way. Why didn't you see your stance violation? A lot of what earns ball golfers large pro fees is that they self call all of their violations. Ball golf claims it is the only self policing sport. Disc Golfers need to honest up!

Can we get some honest up buttons? Or a better slogan...

Last edited:
A lot of what earns ball golfers large pro fees is that they self call all of their violations. Ball golf claims it is the only self policing sport. Disc Golfers need to honest up!
Having cameras watch everyone's play does wonders for encouraging "self-policing" calls...

What did the guy with the card do during these 25 minutes?

He lived near by and went home for lunch. It was a careless mistake and he is a friend of mine which made if very difficult to speak up. It was gut wrenching, I knew 3 of the players on the card and it was the top card. Just wasn't sure if I should have said anything at all. I'm sure the guys on the card did not appreciate me questioning the TD about it.

anyone who knows me knows i'm an *******, so i have no qualms with calling anyone out for any of the above. (keeping in mind i'm a disc flipper, but don't intend to do that during a tournament if i ever play one)

plus, whenever i play casual rounds, i'm always the scorekeeper, so keeping a backup card to call out pencil whippers would be no problem for me.

scorecard dillema

Played in a tourney where one guy refused to let anyone else keep score.I really did'nt mind until the round was over and went to initial the card and him and his buddy had lied about thier scores.Told the TD and he assesed that they would each have 7 strokes added to the final score.:clap:

Played in a tourney where one guy refused to let anyone else keep score.I really did'nt mind until the round was over and went to initial the card and him and his buddy had lied about thier scores.Told the TD and he assesed that they would each have 7 strokes added to the final score.:clap:
Umm, they should have been DQ'ed. :\

Yet another reason we should have multiple scorecards in rec.

you are not required to initial your card

I inital my cards because I make sure I add it. We did something in the last tourney that I had never done, usually the scorekeeper on the last hole totals and the players check their own, we swapped with each other and double checked each other's score...I liked that because I don't want or need extra strokes.

I would be very leary of anyone who insisted on keeping score, even at US women's the caddies took turns.

wasnt flipping still legal a couple of years ago? I wasnt aware it had changed until a week ago when someone called me out on it, i didnt mind as I certainly wasnt aware of it and like to be informed if I am doing something i shouldnt be, score cheats are another problem all together, i was the victim of a score cheat a couple of years ago, never again, its not hard to keep score on an extra card...

I inital my cards because I make sure I add it. We did something in the last tourney that I had never done, usually the scorekeeper on the last hole totals and the players check their own, we swapped with each other and double checked each other's score...I liked that because I don't want or need extra strokes.

I would be very leary of anyone who insisted on keeping score, even at US women's the caddies took turns.

I always keep the score. The routine creates good focus.