• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Run your own tourney?

Kola

I want to set up and run my own tourney with some friends ans family I know to see how it goes. What do I need to do to make this happen?

If the PDGA website was working properly I would have recommended reading the (how-to-run-a-pdga-event) and (how-to-plan-a-pdga-event) PDFs. You might want to contact the PDGA at 706-261-6342 to request these documents. Even though you are not wanting to run a sanctioned PDGA event the Documents provide pointers like what to cover in the Players Meetings and when you should start. It would be a good idea to use the PDGA standards because you might get a few regular tournament players that take PDGA rules for granted. For example, if you want to use the 2 meter rule you must announce it. It may sound like a lot to cover but it is not that big of a deal if you have a small check list. Good luck!

The most valuable advice I can give you about running a tournament is to think hard about how you think a tournament should be run and do it like that.

I don't know where you're at or how much tournament experience you've had, but it's worth the time, trouble, and money to play in as many tourneys as you possibly can.

Finally, it is not possible to make everyone happy. Do the best you can and don't sweat the whiners. Sometimes it seems there are people who's idea of fun is to complain.

I've been running a local tournament for three years now. I started because there wasn't one, so I just put up a few signs and went for it. It started out small, but it's grown and has been a lot of fun. If you have any specific questions, post them up!

Go to as many tournaments as you can and get a feel for what a good tournament is. Get familiar with the rule book and then put up flyers. It's not hard. I've been running around 25 tournaments minimum every year since the mid 90's. I still learn something new and try new things. Get a basic format and wing it from there. Good luck.

Tourney needs.. not all may apply to you.
(in no particular order)

Just off the top of my head.
--------------
*Permission to hold a event on public land. (park)

*Clean up the course.

*Prizes, discs, etc

*Cash for payout (pros)

*Plaques (1st, 2nd, 3rd is common)

*Tourney Scorecards
*Scoreboard to hold the cards

*Pencils

*Course Scorecards (w/ a map and distances if possible)

*Sponsorship signs
*Innova Signs (there are some other disc makers too i hear)
*Club Signs

*Tshirts. expensive. (sponsors will often pay for the silkscreening for a predominant logo)

*Loud horn for two minute warning & start

*alot of beer
*bbq pit

Last edited:

Latest posts