• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Salient Discs Antidote Mid-Range

I know the flight chart was just released but I have a hard time understanding how a disc can be THIS straight… Thoughts? It's displayed as straighter than most putters.

attachment.php

Probably just a guess at what it flies like. Salient probably told them it was a straighter buzzz or something so they came up with that flight path. Now that some reviews are coming out the chart should show that it is understable from the sounds of it.

Probably just a guess at what it flies like. Salient probably told them it was a straighter buzzz or something so they came up with that flight path. Now that some reviews are coming out the chart should show that it is understable from the sounds of it.

Yeah, that seems reasonable.

I know the flight chart was just released but I have a hard time understanding how a disc can be THIS straight… Thoughts? It's displayed as straighter than most putters.

Hippie engineering = discs get faded. Non-hippie engineering = scared straight.

I would say that fits well.

The antidote is more related to a comet or meteor. It's more stable than a meteor though. All the meteors I have thrown have been fairly under stable. The antidote is definitely less stable than a Z Buzzz.

My Antidotes just arrived! Can't wait to give these a throw. Plastic feels great!

I just received my antidote in the mail today. It is a stiff tester, 170. I wasn't able to be out long but did get a few minutes of video taken. Up here in wisconsin the luxury of calm nice days with great air pressure and solid footing is months away. I'm going out for a round tomorrow and will film that with my tangents, axis', and maybe a buzz so they are easy to see the differences of.

The plastic so far is unbelievable. I never once dried the disc off from the snow and it had miles of grip. So far I like the glide, it's too early to say much more!

Thanks Salient!

Glide on it is great. Plastic is good, but i don't like the fact that the dyes don't flouresce well. Definitely understable. I threw it on a slight anny and it just kept on turning right. Like Prometheus I think this disc will force good techniue.

I was going to grab the one that came in my wifes' bag today
But I was running late for dubs. So I forgot it.
I will toss it around the course here at the house tomorrow.

I got this disc with my bag, a pink Antidote (which I am thankful for as I play a lot of really wooded courses). The disc is very basic looking, the stamp is nothing spectacular- but I am not one that really cares- I will probably customize it with a dye later anyway.

I have taken it out to a field twice. Each time, I have taken it out, I have measured and placed cones 100', 150', 200' and 250'. Along with the Antidote, I have taken a Star Mako, a Mako3, and a Star Lycon.

I will say, my Star Mako is the straightest disc in my bag, it goes exactly where I want it to all the time. The Mako3 does just about the same, yet I can get a little more distance out of it. And the Lycon, starts out very much like my Star Mako, but fades just a little bit at the end. All three of these discs serve a purpose in my bag, and the only reason I mention them in detail is to give some sort of indication of how the Antidote flies.

The Antidote Cryo plastic feels great in my hands. It was extremely cold today when I threw- even a little bit of ice/rain mix. I wanted to get an idea of how it would fly in crappy conditions. First I threw the Star Mako- around 200' straight as a frozen rope. The Mako3 also flew straight, but it was a little harder to grip today and it flew about 180'. Generally I would expect it to be the other way around, but the grip being wet caused less of a tighter grip (I also chalk it up to user error). I tossed the Star Lycon out about 215' and it flew straight, with its typical fade. It felt great in my hands- Star plastic always feels great.

So, now to the Antidote. The plastic felt extremely great in my hands. It has a Star plastic feel, but maybe a little deeper rim. I am unsure, I plan on measuring them later to get a perspective. I threw the Antidote about 230' with about the same line as my Lycon. It is a little less thick around the edges, or so it feels, which made contact with my power grip much tighter. The Antidote flew true and held it's line and didn't have grip issues in the garbage weather.

Now, I went back and threw all of my discs once again towards the parking lot picking up cones along the way. The Star Mako this time threw around 215', the Mako3 around 230', the Lycon around 220' and the Antidote about 240'. Each time, the discs held that straight tight line, but the Antidote is going to replace something in my bag. I was extremely pleased with the way it felt, the grip it had when a little wet, and the distance it gave me with just basic form- not trying to overpower it. On a nicer day I will take it back out and give it the old steroid muscle jerk to see what it does, but I can tell you that it flies on the exact line you put it on, and will fade minimally at the end.

I would call it that fine line between the Star Mako and the Star Lycon. Someone mentioned a Skeeter earlier, and I also have thrown Skeeters from time to time, but the Skeeter has a tendency to turn over if you give it any "umph". As I haven't really powered up on the Antidote, I can't really say if it will give the same turn-over effect, but what I can say is that this disc is a really solid mid-range. Yes, it's another mid, big fartin' deal, but this mid does fill a gap that is in between two of my favorite discs in the Star Mako and Star Lycon. I never really thought that I would ever say that there needed to be a disc that falls between these two, but it does the trick.

If you are looking for a solid mid that will hold a line, the Antidote is a good choice, probably a great beginner disc and a mid for intermediate/advanced players who are looking for a straight fairway/mid disc. Using Innova's number system, I would say this is a 6/5/0/1. But the best part is the plastic- it is just grippy enough to really become part of your body, much like the Star plastic. **I have heard people complain about Star plastic being too slippy, but I find it has a better grip than new Champion plastic - but that is not the point. The Antidote's Cryo plastic is great for grip

NOTE: I didn't take my Millinnium QMS out with me to the field, but I wish I would have. The QMS might be the closest thing to the Antidote that I own. I will give another field test when this stupid snow/ice storm blows over.

I forgot to mention, The Antidote is 168g, My Star Mako 175g, Star Lycon 175g, and Mako3 is 180g. Not that it matters all that much, but on a windier day- I would probably shelf the Antidote and go with my Discmania MD2 180g.... on a clear to slightly windy day, a 168g Antidote is just fine.

I appreciate both of you guys giving us feedback on the plastic, it is good to hear and I thank you.

Yeah Scott- The plastic has an outstanding feel. I plan on getting another one as a back up after new-years. Thanks for all the good work you guys have done in putting this disc together. Through all the garbage that went down with the Catalyst (which I am also extremely pleased with), Salient has earned my trust and I look forward to more products from the company.

Thanks Salient!

Best of luck,
EJ

I am surprised there aren't comparisons to a small diameter Stingray. That's what it feels and looks like to me, and if it flies understable too, that would reinforce the comparison. Going to take it out to a super rocky course in the morning to give it a good durability testing.

I am surprised there aren't comparisons to a small diameter Stingray. That's what it feels and looks like to me, and if it flies understable too, that would reinforce the comparison. Going to take it out to a super rocky course in the morning to give it a good durability testing.

After chucking mine a bit I had that exact thought. I have a max weight dx stingray and an unmarked weight(feels similar to my high 160's discs) antidote and if I throw them both 80% I have to release with some decent hyzer to keep it straight.

I like it, and the plastic feels nice in the hand. I may try to pick up a heavy one t some point.

the wife and i just came in from tossing it a little (light gray/bue 169)
it flys very straight for both of us, for me its like faster pure
(i wasnt putting 100% on it)
if it was a little heavier i could see this being a very good disc
great feeling plastic, great grip, we will see about durability

Last edited:
Just got back from two rounds and a lot of testing of two First Run Cryo Antidotes (173g & 170g). Big thanks to Salient for sending me these to try out and review.

The thing I noticed immediately was the glide. This disc has lots of it, which made it fairly easy to get over 300' of distance. There is a fair amount of turn (I would call it understable), but it tended to drift to the right (RHBH) more than turn into a roller. It will easily hold a turn if thrown anhyzer. I was mostly throwing with a hyzer angle that would gently flatten out. The fade is almost non-existent. It finished straight forward on almost every throw. The few grams of difference between the two discs didn't affect the flight - both flew the same. I would think it is a great straight mid for beginners, and a controllable understable mid for more advanced players. It definitely responds to finesse more than power, so it will not suit everyone, but my overall impression is that it's a very good disc. I would give it flight numbers of 5/6/-2.5/0.5

As I said before, the Cryo plastic feels great - good grip, stiff, similar but not the same as Star plastic. The course I played has a lot of sharp lava rock everywhere and the durability seems pretty good. Only one very small gouge and a couple scratches on the disc I used most (the heavier one), and no real change in flight. I think I like this plastic more than the Liquid plastic.

The stamp is my first production disc stamp design, and I am very pleased with the way it turned out. I'm really looking forward to seeing the production Liquid and Karbon designs stamped onto discs.

Attachments

• ProductionStamps.jpg
    ProductionStamps.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 30
I tried the Mako and the Lycan in Star plastic, and didn't care for the results. Same with the MD 2. Much prefer the Warship, Buzzz, Axis for this type of disc: less touchy, longer. Warship and Axis are dead nuts straight when you throw 'em right.

I tried the Mako and the Lycan in Star plastic, and didn't care for the results. Same with the MD 2. Much prefer the Warship, Buzzz, Axis for this type of disc: less touchy, longer. Warship and Axis are dead nuts straight when you throw 'em right.

The Antidote is understable and not really like any of those discs. More like a Fuse, Meteor, Tursas, or Stingray. Rim is shaped most like a Stingray.

Latest posts