• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] SALIENT Discs - Lock Jaw (Lid)

Can smaller retailers not currently stocking Salient products contact them regarding wholesale too?

Yes we actually have two different options for wholesale ordering:

Please go to the wholesale menu on the website...there you will find the option of ordering directly online with live inventory and weights via Disc golf wholesale. Just set up an account and go.

The other option is download the excel order form and email your order to us..we only require a 15 disc minimum across all our discs total so you can mix and match. We also have some of the best margins on discs and bags on the market.

First Salient release I've been interested in. I'd like to try this puppy out.

Agreed. I'm definitely interested in testing one of these. Hoping to maybe get one in a trade or borrow one somehow... Hint hint. :hfive:

John E is using it today for his short up shots and jump puts. He's pulled it out a hand full of times so far in the live coverage.

It is not a fluke as all the lock jaws I have heard about and the one I throw are both stable and can put up a fight in the wind but do a great job of of flying nice and straight when thrown with power.

The fluke I was referring to was the post where he said his was flipper than a Polecat.

Additionally, I agree plastic blends make a bit of difference...but only a bit. The disc will still fly generally as intended.

I trust tbirds assessment on plastic blends making a bigger different in lids, however. It's part of the reason (along with the added weight) that people used to crave Ed's Midnight Flyers waaaay back in the day.

Got a chance to throw this today in some 30 MPH winds at a 12 hole course just using it and the newly released vaccine. The lock jaw is not understable, at all. Holds up to a lot of power surprisingly and will even fade out very late in the flight. It has some decent glide too which I found increased a little as the disc seasoned up as did its wanting to start to turn a little. Its much more stable than a birdie or sonic and reminds me of the champion polecat I have a video posted of but more glide. Very fun disc to throw with it holding up to the winds way better than I ever expected. It has a little more traditional putter flight than your typical lids in that sense but the feel of one obviously. I would even rate it a little faster than those lids as its diameter and downward sloping rim seem to me to give it a little more speed compared to a polecat.

The plastic seems to be the same as the flat line which is not durable enough really but also said to be corrected in the future runs. Its a very soft waxy baseline that damages hitting anything and as a putter the baskets did a little work to it in the first round. Would love to try one of these in a premium plastic.

Liquid Lockjaw could be sweet. I can't wait for liquid Touches.

I've had a Tiger Line Talon I've been trying out for awhile and I think its the best of my lids (polecat, birdie, rattler.) I can release it sloppy and it isn't going to go straight to the ground. Has greal float for a heavier lid and just kind of has a sit down flat fade. Durability is meh. Gets beat up. Haven't tried any Salient discs but I could see this in better plastic being straight gangster.

My final thoughts on testing the LockJaw

Feel: 8/10, perfectly pliable yet firm. Not tacky, not slick, love the thumbtrac (old school styling). Feels much more natural in FH grip than any BH grip I tried.
Flight: Surprisingly stable. Very slow, which can be mistranslated as "doesn't go far", but this disc had some legs, for me, all the way up to about 260-280 on distance lines.
FH Potential: Extremely well behaved, easily handles torque, forgiving of "flutter" and mistakes.
BH Potential: tougher shot for me, possibly due to the drip on a lid-style putter
Expectations: didn't expect anything, never really tested a lid, I was excited to try one out.
Results: Feel in love with this lid, would love to put more time into it this winter for FH approaches around 80-120ish.
Final Grade: A-

Reasoning: I like it, but the lid takes some adjustment to get used to throwing. The Karbon plastic is perfect for this disc, I'm not sure how the Cryo (or other premium plastic) would alter it's flight. Overall, not a bad disc to choose if you are into that old feel.

Video review to come later...

Can't see the video in your post; is it this TR3 one?

In any event, I officially want to try a Lockjaw. If anyone gets a bead on one I can buy that is cheaper than Disc Nation's 12.99 + shipping, let me know.

Yes, that's the one. :)

Great video! Really appreciate the thoughtful commentary, variety of throws, and great footage. That's good stuff. I wish I had a good enough camera to do something like that. My Simian video review looks like junk. :D

Missed the edit window.

It's amazing to see how relatively stable the Lockjaw is. That's what's got me so intrigued - the apparent combination of stability and "float."

Missed the edit window.

It's amazing to see how relatively stable the Lockjaw is. That's what's got me so intrigued - the apparent combination of stability and "float."

Yeah, it's very cool. Haven't got my hands ona Lockjaw yet but have spent time with the Yikun Claws (same disc, as was pointed out earlier in this thread) and I'm really digging it. Don't know if it will have the same all-around use as my Polecat, though...

Don't know if it will have the same all-around use as my Polecat, though...

Because of the stability? That's another part of the intrigue - seeing how it flies at approach speeds.

AIM has kindly offered to send me his tester to try out for the cost of shipping, so I'll have some of my own thoughts in a week or two. I've never played around with a lid-like disc before, so this'll be a new experience for me. Part of the test will be seeing how it handles New Orleans-wind, which is almost perpetually at 10-15 mph this time of year and sometimes much stronger.

Yeah, it's very cool. Haven't got my hands ona Lockjaw yet but have spent time with the Yikun Claws (same disc, as was pointed out earlier in this thread) and I'm really digging it. Don't know if it will have the same all-around use as my Polecat, though...

I think you'll find it'll be more useful, depending on how it seasons. It's pretty quickly pulled Polecats from the bag, and I've started throwing it a lot more than I ever threw my 'kitties. It's better in the wind, and I'm not getting the same worries about it getting tossed around. Kind of amazing, really.

Missed the edit window.

I was pleasantly surprised myself, I had no idea lids could take power of any level.

Great video! Really appreciate the thoughtful commentary, variety of throws, and great footage. That's good stuff. I wish I had a good enough camera to do something like that. My Simian video review looks like junk. :D

Appreciate the kind words. For the kind of shots I took in this video, even a nice smartphone could do the same (pretty much). The photos are what separates the two, and "beauty shots"...but I didn't have any of those in there.

It's a very fun disc, and if you get that tester from AIM soon get out there and try it. Very cool lid.