• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] SALIENT Discs - Lock Jaw (Lid)

So tbird is almost kinda thinking about replacing his polecats?

I need to try one.

So tbird is almost kinda thinking about replacing his polecats?

I need to try one.

It really is that good.

It's not just the flight. It's more comfortable to me too. If anybody with baby hands (like me :eek:) wasn't a fan of the depth of the other lid-like molds, I would urge you to try a Lock Jaw. Once the Karbon blend is finalized and more durable, these should be perfect.

I've found a lot of Salient's molds finding their way into my bag. Whether it's the rim or the flight, I've had several people ask me about this disc, and they only seem more interested after throwing it. Definitely a winner. :thmbup:

The Claws is the only disc from Yikun/Salient that has been anything but a dud FOR ME. It is a pretty good disc. I'll hold off on getting a Lock Jaw until they run it in better plastic. The Claws, as been pointed out many times really does beat up super easy.

The "Rings of Hedrick" style Thumbtrac does give it an Interesting feel in the hand. I like the smoothness of the Polecat in that regard. But the Lockjaw/Claws/Talon is cheap enough I would reccomend anyone giving it at least a shot. I think many players can find a use for it.

Got to throw the Lock Jaw for the first time today. Here are some thoughts.

Summary: I echo what others have said: this disc is surprisingly stable while retaining the lid-like floaty flight.

Bit more detail: "Lid-like" gets thrown around a lot, but at least in this case it's an apt description. The Lock Jaw combines the "float" of a lid with the stability of a golf disc; it's that simple. Today in 15 mph gusts it handled itself very, very well, and noticeably more reliably than my Tangent or Fusion Judge, the two roughly comparable discs in my bag. Given the appropriate amount of hyzer, it didn't flip on me once, and if anything turned less or faded earlier than I expected on a throw. I was having trouble trusting its ability to take power. Amazingly easy disc to get to fly straight with no fade when thrown with some oomph. I can envision really carving up some tight quarters with this thing (which my home course doesn't have, unfortunately), since it has enough HSS to trust putting some mustard on in a tunnel shot but virtually no fade when flying up to speed. I agree with Aim that the Lock Jaw is a tick faster speed than I anticipated, which mostly translated for me into the aforementioned ability to take power. Very impressive, intriguing disc to me.

Salient folks: Will you be releasing the Lock Jaw in premium plastic? I flipped through the thread and didn't see any confirmation of this. If so, any idea on the timeline? I don't really bag base plastic, but if this disc is released in Champ or Star like, and flies anywhere close to the base plastic one I have, I will have to give this an extended run at making the bag. I might even do so regardless; it's a really fun mold to throw, with lots of possibilities.

Will chime in with more thoughts as I spend more time with it. I'll be curious to see how the plastic wears.

Got to throw the Lock Jaw for the first time today. Here are some thoughts.

Summary: I echo what others have said: this disc is surprisingly stable while retaining the lid-like floaty flight.

Bit more detail: "Lid-like" gets thrown around a lot, but at least in this case it's an apt description. The Lock Jaw combines the "float" of a lid with the stability of a golf disc; it's that simple. Today in 15 mph gusts it handled itself very, very well, and noticeably more reliably than my Tangent or Fusion Judge, the two roughly comparable discs in my bag. Given the appropriate amount of hyzer, it didn't flip on me once, and if anything turned less or faded earlier than I expected on a throw. I was having trouble trusting its ability to take power. Amazingly easy disc to get to fly straight with no fade when thrown with some oomph. I can envision really carving up some tight quarters with this thing (which my home course doesn't have, unfortunately), since it has enough HSS to trust putting some mustard on in a tunnel shot but virtually no fade when flying up to speed. I agree with Aim that the Lock Jaw is a tick faster speed than I anticipated, which mostly translated for me into the aforementioned ability to take power. Very impressive, intriguing disc to me.

Salient folks: Will you be releasing the Lock Jaw in premium plastic? I flipped through the thread and didn't see any confirmation of this. If so, any idea on the timeline? I don't really bag base plastic, but if this disc is released in Champ or Star like, and flies anywhere close to the base plastic one I have, I will have to give this an extended run at making the bag. I might even do so regardless; it's a really fun mold to throw, with lots of possibilities.

Will chime in with more thoughts as I spend more time with it. I'll be curious to see how the plastic wears.

Thanks for giving the lock jaw a shot and I am glad to hear you are enjoying it. We do plan on running lock jaw in a premium plastic but at the moment that timeline is unknown.

Still waiting on my lock jaw :(.... I've been waiting for this thing since Chris first told me about it, and after all the good reviews I'm just that much more anxious!!

Where does one buy the Lockjaw? I cannot find it anywhere and would really like to compare it to the Claws (same disc, I know but modified plastic)

I'm trying to get Infinite to order the Lockjaw.

What's wrong with Disc Nation?

I've had nothing but good experiences with DiscNation. They've been my first stop online since Marshall St. crammed one of my discs into a box to (presumably) save on shipping.

I grabbed one of these today with the fore day sale, it'll be fun to test out. How far are you guys throwing these things?

Thanks for giving the lock jaw a shot and I am glad to hear you are enjoying it. We do plan on running lock jaw in a premium plastic but at the moment that timeline is unknown.

Thanks for your reply. I'm a bit bummed to hear a premium plastic Lock Jaw doesn't have a release date yet, but I'm glad to know it's planned. Hopefully we see it sooner rather than later!

I grabbed one of these today with the fore day sale, it'll be fun to test out. How far are you guys throwing these things?

I probably throw them a bit shorter than my Suspects (~250').

I've had nothing but good experiences with DiscNation. They've been my first stop online since Marshall St. crammed one of my discs into a box to (presumably) save on shipping.

lol...I only go w MSt ever since DN sent me 4 putters (no padding) and told me to boil some water!

Where does one buy the Lockjaw? I cannot find it anywhere and would really like to compare it to the Claws (same disc, I know but modified plastic)

We carry the full line of Salient and Yikun at Disc Nation as their distribution partner. If you want to find Salient we will always have it.

As others have pointed out, its on Fore!day. So its a great excuse to try their lineup out. I have found the Liquid Metal plastic to be some of the best on the market for its price. Its up there with Legend plastic(which costs more).

We carry the full line of Salient and Yikun at Disc Nation as their distribution partner. If you want to find Salient we will always have it.

As others have pointed out, its on Fore!day. So its a great excuse to try their lineup out. I have found the Liquid Metal plastic to be some of the best on the market for its price. Its up there with Legend plastic(which costs more).

Thanks for the kind words ZJ. All the guys at DN are doing a fantastic job. The liquid metal plastic is a really interesting blend that has a ton of grip in my opinion and holds up very well to abuse.

I ended up buying two of these because I couldn't wait for the new plastic blend, and I love them!! I was hitting 40-50 ft putts all day today with some relatively strong winds. I was getting a very true straight flight with a little snap on my putts. One that I received was a little warped when I received it, but t didn't really hurt the flight. I would really like these in a gummy liquid plastic, please make those!!! I will get some more time in with them, and feel like they are going to stay in the bag!!