• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Spark - Small Backpack

salient spark bag

I ordered this bag on ebay and have had it for a few weeks. It's been great so far, holding 26 discs including 4 putters. I use one of the side pockets to hold 4-5 mids and the main compartment holds 20 then the putter pocket holds 2. The pics on salient's site shows the main compartment holding discs front to rear but I have them in sideways and it's working great. Talk about bang for the buck and the camo color is nice. The smaller grip bag is a bit nicer but not 2 times the price nicer.

TR3 Limited Review

Category: SMALL DG Backpack
Product: Salient Spark DG Backpack

Additional thoughts/info:
  • 600 D Cordura
  • Rubber ergonomic carry handle
  • Rigid rear frame for stability and comfort
  • Bilateral internal putter pockets
  • Bilateral insulated pockets with built in drainage for beverages
  • Dual insulated drink holders
  • Front mounted mini pencil and mini marker storage
  • Padded shoulder straps
  • D-rings for clipping towels
  • Elastic putter pouch

Overall Grade: B-, small touches, noted below, would've made this an B+
Overall Value: B+, aggressively priced, readily available, some creature-comforts missing
Closest Competitor, in style; Grip C14
Closest Competitor, in price range; Gateway Ozark

Reasoning; As with the Helix, this bag is very aggressively priced. Salient calls this a "small" backpack style bag. There are two main compartments for storage and valuables, and two internal drink holders. The triangular shape is a throw back to their original Jetpack from Physical Flight (trivia of the week), and the similarities are easily seen. Consider this a drastic improvement over the previous version.

On the outside, there is a minimalist feeling to the bag; when someone puts on the bag, it's easy to see the small nuances that might make you think otherwise; "D" rings on each side, gigantic chest clip, easy-to-handle large strap adjustments, two external pencil holders, and a nicely-designed handle to easily carry the bag short distances.

The downfall(s)? I found a couple ones that stuck out to me;

1. Lack of external drink holders
  2. No easy access to putters when wearing the bag
  3. Wasted space inside main compartment

Yes, there are internal drink holders, and yes they are insulated. Consider me spoiled for being able to carry my large Nalgene bottle in my DD Sniper bag. Yes, I do carry that same bottle in the Spark, but I leave the pocket open. Double yes, it is nice to have an insulated can holder, just wish there was an external design to this bag.

I'm a larger guy, a touch over 6'3 and about 250 pounds, my expectations on previous Salient (and other) backpacks was a Go-Get-It/Quiver style putter holder, not the case with this bag. It's something that I've grown accustomed to over the past few years. However, I will honestly say that it's not too much of a bother, it's not a deal breaker, and the handle on top makes it easier to pick up the bag and grab what I need.

Wasted space you say? Maybe this isn't very fair, but I feel a couple extra pockets inside the wall of the main compartment would've been a great touch. This is easily done at home, and not much cost, just wish it was built-in.

In closing, please don't feel like I'm beating this bag up. Salient says 10-16 discs, and you can certainly get many more than that in this bag if you wish. It's refreshing to see a smaller backpack bag, something that I don't need to have sore back muscles after 2 rounds in on a hilly course. I like my lime green color with black to accent it. The zippers are great, the stitching is great, I didn't see a manufacturing flaw in this bag. I'd call this a small bag with a Napoleon complex.

Salient did what it does best, make an extremely competitive bag by using quality materials, value pricing, and unique design all combined into one package. If you need to carry 12-20 discs, some extra towels, and a couple cans of your favorite drink (all in a comfortable setting), take a second look at the Spark.

Salient DGX review coming up soon.

Salient_Spark_WM_1_of_1.jpg

Just wanted to say again how much I like this smaller bag. Some top inside pockets would be a nice touch but really no complaints. Able to carry a lot of stuff for a smaller footprint bag and quality seems good even with lower price point.

Didn't think I would actually use this bag as much as I have been but its just nice to carry a smaller bag sometimes. I get many positive comments on it too around the course. If you are in the market for a smaller backpack I really suggest taking a look at one of these. Seems to be worth the $75!

http://salient-discs.com/product/spark-small-backpack/

I'll agree with you, Aim. I find myself grabbing my Spark over my Ergo/Ergo and push cart quite a bit. With it packed full (20-21 discs), it's super comfortable and still has enough room to fit a 12 pack in the side pockets (double rows of three in each side pocket). Well worth the money. :thmbup:

Snagged a demo bag on eBay for 55 with free shipping. Sick bag for the money. Didn't like the soft bottom so I tossed a 8x11 cutting board in the bottom. Awesome bag. Worth $75, at $55 I feel like I stole it.

No complaints, except apparently Salient thinks UPS is the abbreviation for the United Sates Postal Service.... My bag was nearly shipped back to them lol:wall:

ordered

Just ordered mine, we'll see how it goes. Should be better than my homemade target embark backpack, but we will see.

I know this isnt designed to be a tourney bag so tons of storage wasnt something salient was necessarily concerned with, but that being said do any of you guys find the side pockets to not have enough room? I like to carry a couple of water bottles with me and my concern is that with carrying two water bottles there would not be enough room left to hold my things. I dont carry a ton but would like to be able to fit my keys, wallet and phone as well as a light rain jacket or pullover in the winter.

Also does condensation from your water bottle ever get into the rest of the pocket? I dont want my phone getting messed up from being exposed to water.

the side pockets are pretty big. I can shove a light windbreaker into one of the pockets with it having room for a water bottle.

You can easily fit a 6 pack in those side pockets with 2 dedicated insulated holders inside the pockets too. The main compartment also has 2 small side pockets which you can slip stuff into and keep separate from discs. I keep a lil wizard in one and some hand towels + birdie bag in the other side.

I would not put my phone inside the same pocket with drinks without being in a cover of its own. There is some condensation for sure just like with any pockets you put drinks into but the insulated holders are like a lunch bag cooler kind of material and have a drainage hole. If I just carry the drinks in one side ill throw my phone in a soft glove like case then stick it in the other drink holder or put it behind the lil wizard in the inside main compartment pocket.

the side pockets are pretty big. I can shove a light windbreaker into one of the pockets with it having room for a water bottle.

You can easily fit a 6 pack in those side pockets with 2 dedicated insulated holders inside the pockets too. The main compartment also has 2 small side pockets which you can slip stuff into and keep separate from discs. I keep a lil wizard in one and some hand towels + birdie bag in the other side.

I would not put my phone inside the same pocket with drinks without being in a cover of its own. There is some condensation for sure just like with any pockets you put drinks into but the insulated holders are like a lunch bag cooler kind of material and have a drainage hole. If I just carry the drinks in one side ill throw my phone in a soft glove like case then stick it in the other drink holder or put it behind the lil wizard in the inside main compartment pocket.

Sweet, thanks for the reply. I figured I might need to get a valuables pouch or a ziploc sandwich bag for my phone and wallet with this bag anyways.

One last question for those who have used the bag a while. Are the straps truly reinforced like salient says? I had a catalyst that finally fell apart on me and do not want to repeat that experience. (even though mine lasted a lot longer than others) Is there any noticable wear and tear on the straps?

IMO the straps are superior to those on the helix(I have a helix and its not nearly as comfortable nor are the straps the same). the bag is just different in construction and I am not seeing issues with the straps. Some small scuffs on the bottom around big pockets but I did a plastic-dip like process on there and holding up great.

IMO the straps are superior to those on the helix(I have a helix and its not nearly as comfortable nor are the straps the same). the bag is just different in construction and I am not seeing issues with the straps. Some small scuffs on the bottom around big pockets but I did a plastic-dip like process on there and holding up great.

Sweet, thanks so much for answering my questions. You have helped me make the decision to order one tonight.

I also picked ordered a new demo from Ebay for 55$ and its just what i was wanting and needing. It feels very durable and well made. Some wasted space up top but oh well it holds 22+ disc if you use the side pockets and double up the putter pouch.

2015_06_12_21_17_15_569.jpg

Sweet, thanks so much for answering my questions. You have helped me make the decision to order one tonight.

cool! Salient has some great deals right now on the bag/shoe combo I am thinking about ordering a back-up myself. I honestly didn't think I would really like this bag much or even use it but find myself grabbing it over the Flak3 and Upper Park Rebel more often than not. Just nice for a quick round but still can hold plenty of discs if you want. The comfort factor though is something I think you will really appreciate if you have owned a helix. Day and night difference. Hope you enjoy the bag as much as I do!

The straps on mine are ripping apart I had to duck tape the up a lot. Won't buy again

Thats not good. Where are they ripping?

Also, I ordered tuesday night and they have not shipped as of tonight, at least according to their website. How long did it take for yall to get the bag? I only live an hour and a half from them so I was hoping to get it quick.

Just put duct tape on one of my straps today as well. They don't rip at the connection to the bag but starts along the side seams and goes from there. Still worth the 65 I spent. With over 100 rounds already on it, I don't mind having to do a repair to get 100 more. I am debating over doing more mods though. Has anyone done any upgrades to their spark like vertical storage (was thinking a cut down car chair organizer or ergo esc vertical storage), framing, waterproofing, or strap reinforcements and want to share pics?