• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sanctioned Doubles and AM status

DangeRuss

Eagle Member
I tried looking for the answer to this question and I have a good guess at the answer but I wanted to make sure.

If I were to play Open in a sanctioned doubles event...would I be able to keep my AM status if I accepted cash? My rating is below 970.

I tried looking for the answer to this question and I have a good guess at the answer but I wanted to make sure.

If I were to play Open in a sanctioned doubles event...would I be able to keep my AM status if I accepted cash? My rating is below 970.

No. If it's PDGA sanctioned play (and not a league), accepting cash = turning pro.

If you are a pro with a rating under 970, you can play in MA1 as long as your rating stays low enough. The only amateur events you would be barred from playing, no matter what your rating is, is Am Worlds and USADGC.

You can accept prizes/merch in lieu of cash in a pro division in order to retain amateur status. Pretty sure this goes for doubles as well, even if your partner accepts his half of the winnings in cash. The TD just has to be sure to note that in the event report.

No. If it's PDGA sanctioned play (and not a league), accepting cash = turning pro.

If you are a pro with a rating under 970, you can play in MA1 as long as your rating stays low enough. The only amateur events you would be barred from playing, no matter what your rating is, is Am Worlds and USADGC.

You can accept prizes/merch in lieu of cash in a pro division in order to retain amateur status. Pretty sure this goes for doubles as well, even if your partner accepts his half of the winnings in cash. The TD just has to be sure to note that in the event report.

I know that it states anything A tier and down, but does that include X-tiered events? Like this last Am World Doubles was an XM.

I'm also assuming that once you take cash then during the next membership renewal you must select Pro ($75) instead of Am ($50)???

I know that it states anything A tier and down, but does that include X-tiered events? Like this last Am World Doubles was an XM.

I'm also assuming that once you take cash then during the next membership renewal you must select Pro ($75) instead of Am ($50)???

I neglected to recognize Am World Doubles as a major. Pros aren't allowed to play that one either. X is just a descriptive, it's not an actual tier. It is present to distinguish that the event is not a "normal" event. In other words, it denotes things like doubles or match play or team events or something else out of the ordinary. There isn't any such thing as a simple X-tier event...it's either XA, XB, XC, or XM.

Yes, once you've accepted cash and turned pro, you're required to pay the Pro membership fee rather than the Am one.

I neglected to recognize Am World Doubles as a major. Pros aren't allowed to play that one either. X is just a descriptive, it's not an actual tier. It is present to distinguish that the event is not a "normal" event. In other words, it denotes things like doubles or match play or team events or something else out of the ordinary. There isn't any such thing as a simple X-tier event...it's either XA, XB, XC, or XM.

Yes, once you've accepted cash and turned pro, you're required to pay the Pro membership fee rather than the Am one.

:thmbup: Thanks. Couldn't find anything describing that on the PDGA site. Hopefully moving up to open will help to recoup all the impulsive dg purchases I tend to make.

Latest posts