• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sandbagging

Sandbagging is not defined by people who win their divisions. A lot of people win without being sandbaggers. Sandbagging is intentionally throwing shots or missing putts so you can keep your rating lower to stay in a lower division. Like if you had a 5 stroke lead over the next 3 guys and because you are playing on the same card and when you extend your lead to 10 strokes on the second round you then know you can botch a couple upshots or miss a couple 10' putts . . . that is sandbaggins and I highly doubt that happens often. People playing in a division they are rated is not sandbagging, it is within the rules and part of the game. However, if a guy took a year off of playing pdga tourneys and while he is rated 899, he knows from playing casual rounds or league rounds his game is much much much better than 899 more like 935 rated or so, and he still chooses to play recreational. That is not sandbagging it is just a guy out for the money and not someone who cares about the integrity of the game.

I personally moved up to Intermediate when I won my first rec tourney and I was rated 871 at the time, but I still moved up, because I knew my game was much better than most of the Rec field in the tourneys I was entering. I have since darn near cashed in every intermediate division tourney and my rating had gotten as high as 915 and slid back to 907 and I have only missed cashing in 2 events I think and one was due to injury. That is what the integrity of the game and divisions is supposed to be about but more often than not people stay as low as they can t win as much as they can. Its sad if you ask me but it is not sandbagging!

thank you for posting this. I stopped opening this thread because it was frustrating that people do not know what sandbagging is. Since tourneys are scratch it is really tough to win a tourney by sandbagging. I think sandbagging is more prevalent in a league setting when their are handicaps being used.

Luckily for me I am not good enough to sandbag :thmbdown:

I was hoping this thread would provide good info on how to sandbag while still winning and stuff. :(

Once qualified they did another layer of sandbagging protection if I am correct, they based your projected score off of your highest rated round for the year, making it very difficult to qualify and also still do really well without shooting your absolute best.

that seems to have turned out well... :doh:

I was hoping this thread would provide good info on how to sandbag while still winning and stuff. :(

You must have missed Harr's post where he actually posted the correct definition of sandbagging.

That being said, in tournaments I've played in I have yet to see a true sandbagger, much less a person who is playing a division underneath their skill simply to win another disc or two. I have yet to see a novice or rec division in any tournaments and most people playing intermediate that I've played with would qualify for either of those divisions. Most Advanced players are low 900's to 940's and most people in open are above 940.

Although my experience is limited to 7 C tiers and a single B tier event in Minnesota.

Anytime I've heard anyone called a bagger it has been a cliched joke.

I'm not ashamed to post my rating. 929 for now. Playing pawhuska this next weekend in intermediate. I feel I'm at top pack intermediate, low mid adv. And I agree that bagging terms in any competition is for people under to have more chances of better pay, or people better than you to also have better play. I have some great rounds, and then total meltdowns. Like this last tournament where I shot 6 up one round one day, and even the next day on the same exact layout. I was told I should enter a certain class at jomo pro bmx comp in 09, and kids in that division were doing 360 whips and flip whips, while I was still doing no handers and 360s and supermans. Haven't rode a comp since. I have the distance for advance sidearm yes, but no backhand form or mid game really. I would definitely be advanced if I even had a 250+ backhand controlled, but I may be wrong. Sorry so long and probably off topic.

I have benefited from seeing what kind of choices better players make in certain situations, but it's no more benefit than caddying for a pro, or just observing as a spectator.

I caddied for a pro at USDGC all four rounds and was blown away by a few key decisions he made. I definitely learned a few things.

My tournaments I charge the same amount for Int/Rec/Nov which helps. Also this last year we made Novice trophy only (everyone got a boosted players pack in that division and top 3 got nice trophies).
I view the novice division as a division for new players who haven't experienced a tournament atmosphere before and that this division should be for new players not ones that have been around for a while who are just there to get as much plastic as possible. If that's what you want then there's the Rec division which costs the same entry fee as novice. Yes there are players who just cant compete in Rec so we made a rule that if you had "cashed" in novice in the specific tournament you had to play rec, no exceptions. This allowed some to stay in novice.

I may make the entry fees flat across the board in the future.

non pdga members who want to complete in pdga sanctioned events should be forced to play open or reg for pdga.

problem solved.

non pdga members who want to complete in pdga sanctioned events should be forced to play open or reg for pdga.

problem solved.

Except not all non pdga members are seasoned players.
I also keep track of what the round ratings are for our local players playing league so you just can't come to me if you are a local and try and play novice if you have been shooting 900+ rated rounds in league. It doesn't solve the out of town baggers but it helps solve the local bagging issue.

problem solved.

Forced to play trophy only. That would solve that issue without forcing into a high class.

Except not all non pdga members are seasoned players.
I also keep track of what the round ratings are for our local players playing league so you just can't come to me if you are a local and try and play novice if you have been shooting 900+ rated rounds in league. It doesn't solve the out of town baggers but it helps solve the local bagging issue.

more tds should be aware of this. I dont care if people rated under 935 play Int. that division is full of people who have been playing for a while. heck its full of old guys who dont want to pay Adv Masters prices. but people that have been playing for a year plus should not be playing in Rec or Nov. unless they are seriously in the 850s or lower.

more tds should be aware of this. I dont care if people rated under 935 play Int. that division is full of people who have been playing for a while. heck its full of old guys who dont want to pay Adv Masters prices. but people that have been playing for a year plus should not be playing in Rec or Nov. unless they are seriously in the 850s or lower.

Here is what we use in our local club. Static SSA but it gives a pretty good idea of you rounds.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...X0F6dExLM3c2OUE&single=true&gid=6&output=html

Latest posts