• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Seattle area..

treehorn

Birdie Member
Hello,

I'm going to be downtown Seattle for a couple of days and will probably only have time to play 1 course while I'm in town..

Where should I play?
Best Disc Store in Seattle area?

Thanx, treehorn

Chainbangerz in Burien (I think that's the city) is a great shop.

SeaTac or Lakewood for the courses. SeaTac is longer and more technical, but was frequently littered with trash and or a bum or two in the fairways. Lakewood is easier/shorter but a much cleaner park. Very enjoyable course. White River in Kent is great too, but probably a bit of a haul from downtown.

Yeah Chainbangerz is the shizz. If you choose to play White River you can also check out Mando's but Chainbangerz is way better IMHO. Just call ahead to make sure they aren't randomly closed or going on lunch, which they seem to do every single time I go there. Not complaining because I love the shop, but just warning you.

-If you're a social person and like tight courses you might check out Mineral Springs. It's so small that you can't possibly play there without talking to someone.

-White River is in the summer layout right now, so you've got a good shot at getting lost there and only playing 15 holes.

-Lakewood is great and the one I would probably recommend. There's also a pro shop there that is run by Chainbangerz. Just expect a 30% markup because the county takes that much due to the shop being on park property.

-SeaTac will test your game to no end. Take a map or a picture of the map by hole one if you go there. That's my regular course and there are quite a few holes there that I haven't parred yet because it's so much beefier than I am.

-If you're heading north, try Terrace Creek. Make sure you PM someone who knows it though (me) before you go so you don't get lost on the back nine.

-Kitsap County has some incredible courses too, but if you're going to be downtown and only have time for one course? You won't have time to get over to NAD, Bud Pell, Fredericksen, or Fairgrounds. Come back sometime and check out Kitsap though. You won't regret it.

Since I've moved to Seattle, I've only played SeaTac and Terrace Creek each once. I liked Terrace Creek better so I recommend that one (plus it's easier to go north than south coming from downtown). I felt SeaTac has several redundant holes in sequence, and is harder to navigate/find the correct pins than Terrace Creek.

I once played SeaTac and had no fun. They didn't mow the fairways and the layout was crap. It was also quite sketchy. That was over 4 years ago.

I once played SeaTac and had no fun. They didn't mow the fairways and the layout was crap. It was also quite sketchy. That was over 4 years ago.

Its not the same course now, the fairways are allmowed, the offending trees and blackberries have been cleared.

Its a beautiful course now.

As to the OP, Seatac and Lakewood are both outstanding local courses within five mintues drive of each other, and both are within 10 minutes from Chainbangerz.

Mountlake Terrace is the most woodsy of the courses closest to you downtown, be prepared to spend so time looking for your discs right now.

I thought Seatac was leaps and bounds better then Lakewood when I played there. I played last October and Seatac was gorgeous.

I thought Seatac was leaps and bounds better then Lakewood when I played there. I played last October and Seatac was gorgeous.

I think it's a great course with a lot of potential. I spent the whole summer (late June to mid Sept.) in Seattle last year and had a blast playing all the different courses.

That said, Seatac was consistently riddled with trash and those little bags of dog poo. I almost hit a bum who was sleeping on the left side of fairway 13 with a firebird one day. I never recall the grass being tall enough to be an issue, but it was a bit high on occasion. Who knows, maybe I just got there the day before they mowed. All of that doesn't keep it from being one of my 3 favorite Seattle courses that I got to play and I still recommend it to folks. Challenging course to say the least.

Lakewood isn't nearly as interesting as far as course design goes, but it is cleaner, has the proshop, super nice benches/pads, and some water shots.

I thought the White River course was beautiful and plenty challenging. You're basically walking through a Pac-NW jungle the whole round! I was lucky enough to meet up with some locals the first time there otherwise I would have been crazy lost.

Last edited:
I have to put my vote in for Seatac as well. One of, if not the toughest course I've played. The guy I played with was the State Champ for his div. He shot a +9 and was jazzed, because it was his best round ever at Seatac. I've played it several times over the years and it's alway been in great shape. I know it's in a schetchy area and the planes can bug the heck out of some people, but I've never had an issue with tree bums....yet:)
White River is a pretty tough course, but it seems to be the norm up there. Now I know why the players up there are all so good!

Latest posts