• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Second throws

One of my Buddy's and I play that we can all a mulligan on any drive but the other person gets one on any other shot at any time... we do this in skins games.

Sometimes I will throw a second shot especially when my 1st one is terrible but I ALWAYS count my 1st shot. Like I miss any easy putt so I throw my backup putter.

By myself or with a small group that doesn't mind, I like throwing multiple shots (sometimes 4 or even 5). It lets me experiment with lines that I normally don't throw, and lets me iron out form inconsistencies. If there is someone behind me or if I am playing with more than one other person, I will only very occasionally pull out an extra disc. Fortunately, I play solo a lot on non-busy courses, so it is only rarely an issue.

I know I will sometimes throw a second shot not to take that one in place of the first one, but to figure out what I did wrong and how I can improve. Mainly I will throw two different styles. I then will take the first shot and go from there.

I have improved my game with this approach. I had a +8 at my local course I used to get a +12 on a good day. The +8 was a bad day for me. I missed a about 8 easy shots I should have made. Plus I think I only had one duce when I normally have 2 or 3 at that course. The course has 23 holes with nine water hazard holes. Yeah I tossed one in the drink.

If I'm driving off the Top at Dela there's a real good chance I'm throwing more than one. ;)

you know I thought this was gonna be about second shot strategies.

What do you mean strategy? My second shot is either dropping it into the basket or pulling it out. What's to strategize about that? Sounds like you need help with the first throw, not the second! :)

sometimes i throw two.
i always take the first throw.
sometimes i throw one.
i always take that throw.
sometimes i poop.
can't do that twice in a row.

sometimes things i write that are meaningless make things more meaningful. like now, i'm thinking of a song called "do it twice". and now i'm going to listen to it. bing. bang. boom.

It is never good manners to throw 2 drives on a hole. I have a good friend that is probably rated 1000+, and I still give him hell when he decides to drive 2...which is too often. Golf is played on the premise that you play from tee to green (basket). No excuses. If you want to break in a new disc, do it on your own time. Please don't start the lemming parade...

If no one is right behind us, we some times take mulligans on putts, but they are never counted in the score. First shot is the only one that counts.

My wife and I throw "Mind Erasers." Our term for mulligans. Could be a drive, an upshot, a putt. Its just when we are out having fun or practicing. But never if someone is behind us. With my mind erasers, I always play my first, errant, shot for my score. But sometimes a 2nd guess, a different disc, a different line, BH instead of FH... helps to learn new or alternative ways of doing things.

Sometimes we'll practice a Mulligan Rule game. In our random draw doubles league if there is an odd number we have a mulligan rule for the odd man out. 2 mulligans per hole but not for the same shot.

And on occasion we'll play an individual Best Shot game.

All that time killing extra throws is never done when there are people behind us.

i prefer to not throw any second shots just b/c i dont want the thought to get in the back of my mind that if i do mess up oh well i can just throw a second one and plus the chance of losing a disc... even in casual rounds i just prefer to not chance it.. to me its like putting without going through your full setup everytime...just teaches bad tendenicies... but if you can pull it off and have it help your game more power to ya :thmbup:

It all depends on what mindset you are in and what group you are with. My roommate and I in college would play two scores on each hole, two different sets of throws, so we could get in twice as many holes in the same amount of time... it also helped slow us down a bit so we didn't get as bored waiting for other groups on the course.

Anytime you're waiting for the group ahead of you, more power to you -- throw extra shots, mulligans, whatever. Practice putts.

My brother and I used to have a running game of "flutter-guts" when we had to keep waiting on tees. Kept the time passing quickly.

Playing alone, I'll often throw 4-5 tee shots or 4-5 upshots or putts or whatever, trying different routes and trying to refine a throw. That's totally different than when I throw practice rounds in tourney mindset, and only throw one shot, and try for a score. No harm in mullgans when they are intentional, and HELP your game rather than weakening your mental resolve.

i prefer to not throw any second shots just b/c i dont want the thought to get in the back of my mind that if i do mess up oh well i can just throw a second one and plus the chance of losing a disc... even in casual rounds i just prefer to not chance it.. to me its like putting without going through your full setup everytime...just teaches bad tendenicies... but if you can pull it off and have it help your game more power to ya :thmbup:

I've been known to walk off and leave second shots laying on the fairway ...:wall:

My son and I call it "Mad Balls" from our ball golf days. My Uncle would get mad after a bad chip shot or putt and drop another ball and hit it because he was mad about how bad his shot had been. Mad balls don't count in the score, just relieve the anger from a bad throw. Of course we never do this if anyone is behind us. As far as mulligans go, we allow one per 9 - tee shots only. But should the score be tied at the end of 9, the guy who did NOT take a mulligan wins, so we hesitate to take them.

Latest posts