• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Seeking clarity on two oft used terms in dg

Yep, this is a great definition of what an "upshot" is.

Utility when describing a disc is something that the pros have twisted the meaning of, and I mean this is pretty recent. Most pros say "utility" when they mean "specialty" disc.

Yeah that makes sense. For example with pro's that are on footage a ton, I would think of Eagle's metal flake Max as a utility disc, whereas his flippy D-line FD as more of a specialty disc. Even though I've seen him throw some really different roller angles and uses with the FD, its specialty is only to flip crazy fast and get on the ground.

The first is "upshot". There was a thread here ten (TEN!) years ago, but the answers were somewhat in conflict and so in a more modern time, maybe the definition has standardised? Sidewinding gave a definition about it being a specific type of low risk high reward approach where you loft the disc so that it comes in steep so as to possibly drop in the basket or at worst land close, and he differentiated it from a "run it or layup. But others thought it meant an uphill approach, and still others thought it meant any approach. So is there consensus?

The next ambiguous term is "utility disc". In baseball (or most position sports) a utility player is one with varied skillet, who can be called upon to play many different positions depending on the situation. I thought a utility disc would therefore be a disc you can rely on if say you had to play a whole course with just one disc... But it seems that the term in disc golf is to mean a uniquely specialized disc? I don't mind that it's backwards-after all, "flammable and inflammable" both mean the same thing- I just want to know for my own education.

I've understood an upshot to basically be an approach shot to the basket. Of course, some throw "putts" from distances that others throw upshots.

To me a utility disc is a disc that can make different types of shots, including shots that are not usually thrown by the player. For me that is the Panther. I use it for regular forehand and backhand shots, but also for rollers, overhands, thumbers, tomahawks, "get out of jail" shots, and the like.

I think a utility disc is any disc that you can make a lot of shots with.

Like my Firebird for example.

FH Flex Shots, BH Flex Shots, FH Hyzers, BH Hyzers, FH Rollers, Thumbers, Tomahawks, upside down putts into crazy winds, etc.

An "upshot" is when your on the course and you let out a gentle fart but accidently poop your pants.

A "utility disc" is the extra pair of underwear you carry in your bag for these occasions.

Up shot is a shot designed to get you "up and down" first you drive, then its time to get on the green (up and down) utility dosc just depends u suppose but a disc that gets you out of a whole lotta jams. Cor me its my p3x and sometimes my fd3.

The general definition of utility just means useful, not necessarily specialized use or versatility. So any disc that is useful would qualify as a utility disc but this is usually differentiated from discs used for conventional throwing. So discs that are often used for unconventional shots are generally considered utility discs and these are usually really overstable or really understable b/c the extreme stability makes them more utilitarian. Think of Batman and his utility belt. When he needs a specific tool, like shark spray, he goes to the utility belt b/c he can't conventionally fight it.

An upshot is basically any non-drive that attempts to put you on the green. Blow by the basket and land OB = bad upshot. Park the basket for a tap-in = good upshot. A fairway "ace" is probably the best example of a good upshot.

To me, upshot is a variation of the expression "get up and down", as in the goal is to finish the hole in no more than two more shots from wherever you are. The first one is the "up", the next one is the "down". Doesn't matter if it is a fifty foot lay-up or a full 350 foot throw, if you want to land on the green with it, it's an "up" shot.

Utility disc is like BogeyNoMore suggests...a disc that doesn't get used often but for a specific role or two. Kind of like a utility player. Sure, that player might be versatile, but you only put him to use in certain situations or for specific purposes. You don't carry him/it on the roster/bag to be a workhorse, he/it is there "just in case".

While Utility may be a misnomer, I think this is the best sum up of how I have heard the terms used both on videos, and whilst playing in multiple regions.

Upshot (AKA "up", as in "good up") - any shot, excluding off the tee, which approaches the basket without the intention of landing in the basket.

The upshot antithesis would be a "run" (AKA "bid", as in "good bid") - any shot, including off the tee, which approaches the basket with the intention of landing in the basket and is close enough (or actually goes in) to going in to make the intention of the shot clear.

Utility Disc, in my experience, is a disc with exaggerated flight characteristics with respect to stability. So they are typically super overstabel or super understable. Usually reserved for unusual shots (usually unusual makes sense, right?) like extreme flex shots, spike hyzers, super late hyzer-flips, and all sorts of weird rollers.

Last edited:
"Utility" has always been another way of saying "more uses than I feel like typing right now"

For example, this was a utility post.

Latest posts