• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Seeking disc suggestions for short control drives

juanbond

Eagle Member
I have two champion Aviars (175, 168)... I have been using the heavy Aviar for short drives (up to 250 feet or so), but I seem to be flipping it over more than I'd like, especially when I'm into the wind or throwing near full power. I'm surprised how flippy my Aviars are, I'm probably just throwing a bit harder than in past years, I dunno... I'd really like to find a disc that is slower than a Roc for these short drives/approaches, and is stable enough to fly straight at high speed or into moderate wind. On paper, both the Rhyno and Pig look like they might be good for this, but I thought I would pick your minds a bit.

What do you guys throw for short (< 250 ft.), straightish, control drives, especially when into a wind or throwing near full power?

I use a 174g Millennium QMS. I may make a bad shot with it every once in a while but I know when I release it that my QMS is going to go exactly where I threw it. And it holds whatever line I release it on.

That's my 2 cents worth.

If it's too short for a Roc and too windy for an Aviar, I pull out a Vibram VP. It's plenty stable and can take quite a lot of power or wind without flipping.

I usually throw my Buzzz in your range, depending on the hole.
Depending on the hole, I may use a driver for this type of straight shot as well...Valk BH or Starfire FH generally work pretty well for me...

Rattler. whoops you said headwind, um Banger GT.

What do you guys throw for short (< 250 ft.), straightish, control drives, especially when into a wind or throwing near full power?

Um these are very diff. for me.

I can throw my putters at full power- it just takes a diff form. Usually if I have a lot of overhead clearance, I end up tossing them a bit hyzer and throw them up quite a bit; usually that does the trick and they can hit around 180-200's comfortably. (Discraft Magnet)

As for headwind putter driving- not sure yet. That's one thing I have yet to really get into. Most times I just throw my heavy Buzzz if it's a headwind and I need distance control, but right now I'm trying out a Wizard.

Gateway Wizard
Discraft Challenger
Latittude 64 Sinus

Lots of plastic choices with those 3. One of them should work well for you.

I don't know what sort of beads they've had on Aviars. If they're beaded then they're probably as stable as you'll need out of a putter and there might be a form fix that will help. If they're beadless then finding something beaded, like the discs sloppydisc recommended (I like the Wizard) will be worth trying out. Then it's just a matter of learning when to use a stable midrange and when to use a putter.

I've been using a DX Rhyno for shots around 200' with good results. I can't get it out to 250' consistently though.

Last edited:
I'm definitely thinking I'll try out the Rhyno and the Vibram VP to start with. For those of you who throw a Rhyno, how do the various plastics change the stability and glide? With the already low glide rating for the Rhyno, I'm guessing Champion might not be the best choice, but what do you guys think?

I have two champion Aviars (175, 168)... I have been using the heavy Aviar for short drives (up to 250 feet or so), but I seem to be flipping it over more than I'd like, especially when I'm into the wind or throwing near full power. I'm surprised how flippy my Aviars are, I'm probably just throwing a bit harder than in past years, I dunno... I'd really like to find a disc that is slower than a Roc for these short drives/approaches, and is stable enough to fly straight at high speed or into moderate wind. On paper, both the Rhyno and Pig look like they might be good for this, but I thought I would pick your minds a bit.

Try a KC Pro Aviar. Also known as a big-bead. These are designed for full-power drives. Dave Feldberg also recommends them for putting.

Other choices (also mentioned previously):
Challenger
Wizard
Vibram VP
Rhyno
Gator

I like the Pro line Rhyno or the SE Rhyno.

I use a rhyno for shorter approaches..mini drives. Another route would be to throw some kind of mid/fairway driver with less power/more control. Thats the benefit of increased power...you can throw up a notch but take a little off and improve your control.

Rhyno for sure. Will hold up to a full power drive. (hit my first ace with one). Also, you should check out the gator. Little bit more overstable than the Rhyno and a little faster, but I hear this is a good mid for str8 or windy shots.

Look for floppy Rhynos. I rummage through the Rhyno section at the local PIA and everytime I see a super floppy one (you'll know the difference. It almost feels like pro-line plastic) I buy it right up.

Last edited:
I'm definitely thinking I'll try out the Rhyno and the Vibram VP to start with. For those of you who throw a Rhyno, how do the various plastics change the stability and glide? With the already low glide rating for the Rhyno, I'm guessing Champion might not be the best choice, but what do you guys think?

They're all close, but I generally don't use my Champion much because it's a little more stable than the others. I prefer the Pro Rhyno, or Star if it's one of the gummier ones.

This:
I don't know what sort of beads they've had on Aviars. If they're beaded then they're probably as stable as you'll need out of a putter and there might be a form fix that will help. If they're beadless then finding something beaded, like the discs sloppydisc recommended (I like the Wizard) will be worth trying out. Then it's just a matter of learning when to use a stable midrange and when to use a putter.

I'll throw the Ion for up to 250' shots. If it is windier than the range will go down. In that situation I'll throw a Buzzz...or a C-PD or XXX if it is REALLY windy. Wind conditions and the line you want to hit affect disc selection just as much as distance does. Just because it is in putter range doesn't mean it is a putter shot. If you're looking for a quick fix than a Wizard, VP, Rhyno, Pig, etc will work (I prefer them in that order).

I noticed the Buzzz has a -1 turn and +1 fade.... Does it flip over much at high speed?

No. The Buzzz will turn over when thrown faster than it's cruising speed, but if you have clean form than it won't be a problem at 250 feet. When throwing mine on a calm day at 300' they don't turn very much. An Elite Z or Glo Z Buzzz should never turn over on a 200-250 foot throw unless it has been thrashed for 2+ years.

EDIT: You said you throw Rocs...The Buzzz is the competitor to the Roc. If you like the Roc, I'd suggest learning to power it down to those ranges for wind instead of getting a new disc. If your Roc is fairly beat, than a new one would be a good compliment for windy days. Also, a new Aviar may be all you're looking for depending on how worn yours are.

Last edited:

Latest posts