• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Sell me on an under stable speed 9

I use an underworld for turnover shots. It turns pretty hard so I picked up a hatchet for something without such a dramatic turn. I cannot say enough good things about that disc. It is just a beautiful disc to throw

A really nice one is the Yikun Hu/Salinet Suture.

It's got a ton of glide and though you can flip it at about 375ft of power its very useful and great to hyzerflip.

I've hyzerflipped mine about 400 with a tailwind and it does great.

Downside; you can only get them in Red and Green.

I would second (third? sixth?) the Star Valkyrie. For you, it might be better in in the mid to upper 160's so it's a little less stable out of the box. Valkyries are fantastic hyzer flip discs. Another good option would be a Fission Volt. My 162 Fission Volt flies a lot like I remember a 175 Star Valkyrie flying. I'd guess a 150's Fission Volt would be a good choice for you.

The Saint is not a bad choice, either. In my experience, I remember my GL Saint started off going laser straight on a slight hyzer flip. Then when it started developing some turn after a few months I abandoned it because it didn't have enough fade so it would just turn and never come back. An opto Saint would maybe work better since it would have a bit more fade.

It's not speed 9, but I would also recommend a 150-class Star TeeBird. I got one recently and it is a fantastic disc. It's great for tight lines with just a slight hyzer flip and a reliable, forward fade. Or I can put it on a big anhyzer and watch it hold the line and smoothly pan to flat as it lands.

Champ Sidewinder is what you're looking for. Most workable disc in my bag. Great for hyzer flips, heavy hyzer/late fade shots, and big sky anny's.

I'm also been thinking about discing up to an under stable speed 9, although I may wait a lil while. In the field I'm getting my buzzes consistently to 300', at the opposite goalposts of the field. FDs I send out a little further, 10'-15'. Recently discovered I can straight up bomb to the upper 300's with a starlight tern.

David, do you think that the O LS overlaps to much with the FD? I've thrown one a couple times, It is straight for me; for longer than my FDs but I can't control it as well for golf throws yet.

Would I be better off discing up to something more understable?

There is some overlap. I don't throw FDs (I have, but they didn't take). But I have lots of overlap between my QJLSs and OLSs. The OLS won't be a straight flyer for long if you have 300+ feet of Buzz power. It'll get flippy. But it will be longer than your FD. And if you reign in the flip, it will CONSIDERABLY longer than your FD.

Great suggestions, if you get a champ sidewinder make sure it has some dome on it.

That blue Insanity looks bada$$. Try that one and keep your non-Innova bag intact. :)

So no love for the undertow?

Great speed 9 discs. Starts out straight on a hyzer-flip, that bears in to a hyzer-flip to turnover disc.

Sp is my personal favorite, but the prolines are good for lower power shots.

My favorite disc to throw and simply crushes after you figure out your lines.

Hatchet would work well and had been recommended by a lot of people. I came by to give some love to the G line TD2. I have had one in the bag for some time and it keeps getting better and better. Hyzerflip? Check. Slow drift right on flat throw? Check. Great feeling plastic? Check.

Give one a shot if you have a chance :D

Gotta suggest an Air Saint. It's under stable, but with good form it won't turn and burn. It's easy distance. If you throw about 300, it's a great disc.

Jade is awesome. Even in some wind it will come back and act predictably in the wind.

I would also recommend the Hatchet, especially in the low-to-mid 160s. It's more understable than the Jade for me and is pretty consistent.

Hatchet. The glide is outstanding and unlike other understable discs, its actually a bit hard to get it to turn and burn. A great hyzerflip disc.

I also have a Xtra Gummy Valkyrie from the Innova Pro Shop that I throw. You have to like gummy plastic but its almost two years old and still has a ridiculous about of life left. It hit that sweet spot really really fast and has stayed there.

As far as I know the Jade is only available in 150-class, so it is hardly a predictable disc in winds.

Instead I would recommend the Hatchet that is very similar and can be had in many different stabilities depending on the weight and plastic. I would start with a lighter Tournament one and then get a heavier VIP if needed. TP beats in nicely as well.

My furthest measured throw is with a max weight TP Hatchet.

I throw a TP Hatchet, very nice US driver. I play almost all wooded courses and it controls very nicely. It has beat in good as well, but even fresh it was a great US driver. I don't use it much in the wind but it can also make a great/easy roller.

This is a disc that I need in my bag.

These answers are correct.

Yep, my bad. Fury then :)

Although the River glides so well it gets a lot of distance for a Speed 7.

True. The Fury gets good distance for speed 9 discs, as well. Lat 64 makes good hi-glide discs.

Also, my Star TL comes out of my hand faster than the River, goes a bit longer, and laughs at the wind. But I love the River for technical (woods) shots and that great glide.