• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sham WoWs are needed in your bag

It's been pretty rainy lately here in Northern California so having a good towel to keep the discs dry is a must. I have carried cotton rags in the past and it always seemed by mid round I would just be spreading water around my discs when trying to dry them. Then I decided to put a small Sham Wow in my bag and it has been a great addition to the bag. It drys discs even during long wet rounds. It is small, light weight, and cost around 10$ for a bunch of towels. Just thought I would share something that has worked for me. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-19800-2M-Shamwow-21/dp/B001KN6APA

.....they have an excellent rating on amazon.........

I'd agree that any regular microfiber cloth works better than a shamwow.. and they're significantly less annoying.
The problem with that kind of microfiber is that they pick up all sorts of leaves, twigs, and after a while there are just too many and impossible to get out.
I picked up a 3m microfiber specifically for glass, so its extremely smooth and won't grab other debris. $4 at Target and it works great. To test it out I ran a disc under the tap, dried it off, and repeated - 30 perfectly dry discs later and I decided it worked well enough.

microfibers are win...the huk lab one I got from marshall street soaks up water like no other

I just ordered one yesterday, I'm anxious to see how this fair compared to the old ones that we're magnets for leafs and twigs.

I do prefer micro fiber towels over Sham-Wow. I saw they have a new "micro fiber" that doesn't pick up every dead leaf and twig.

Last edited:
Suede microfiber is the answer to not picking up leaves. Scientific Disc Golf sells towels that are very very good.

yeah, i've got the innova chamois. use it for muddy discs mostly because it doesn't soak up water without leaving some behind. i use a different towel for strictly water. chamois is nice for the initial wipe though, just doesn't get them totally clean and dry.

Cotton absorbs better than any type of shammy,(chamois), the only advantage shammies have is they wring out easily when soaked. Micro fiber towels don't absorb worth a crap and are better suited for damp cleaning. When it's wet out try two towels, one for the mud and water and one for the residual moisture.

Last edited:
Cotton absorbs better than any type of shammy,(chamois), the only advantage shammies have is they wring out easily when soaked. Micro fiber towels don't absorb worth a crap and are better suited for damp cleaning. When it's wet out try two towels, one for the mud and water and one for the residual moisture.
I always thought the point of chamois was to be able to remove water (meaning push it out without leaving a wet trail behind) even when totally wet...

And I don't know what kind of microfiber towels you've been using, but I tested mine with 20 discs and a sink and it had no problems drying them up. At that point my cotton towel was leaving droplets behind.

I'm also going to have to disagree with you about microfibers not absorbing. They work great! We use them at work to clean paint off of the lenses of our masks (i work at a paintball field) and they absorb that even! It's where i got the idea from.

I've been using DGA's Disc Dri towel + generic terry cloth golf towel. I use the terry to get off mud/excess water/etc.. off and then I use the Disc Dri to get it bone dry. The Disc Dri works really well and can absorb a lot. I really like that the Disc Dri towel has a snap loop on it so I can keep it on me or my bag w/o having to shove it in a pocket either.

Latest posts