• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shelton Spring Dgc Washington

Hartley444

Birdie Member
I will be visiting family in Tumwater, WA in August. How far is this course from Tumwater? Travel time? Is this the best course to play while visiting?

How much time do you have to visit? Shelton should be about half an hour away, I think. But also half an hour in the other direction would put you at Steilacoom. Both courses are very good, but if I only could visit one, I'd probably go with Steilly. It's got two courses on site, and there's more variety in terms of terrain. Depending on the day though, it could be a lot busier. If you're looking for a course that feels more "north westy" for your visit, Shelton is the better choice, Steilly almost feels like it could be in California in some parts.

Ideally you could visit both, and if you had the time, there are some other great courses up on Bremerton, about an hour away.

We will be there for a week. Probably only able yo make 1 trip. Thanks for the advice. Never been to the northwest but the pics look awesome.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either. Steilly is old, but has been kept up pretty well, and provides a good challenge. Shelton is newer, and was designed with a little more forethought. It also has a good challenge, and has 2 sets of tees. Shelton is flat and mostly wooded, Steilly is a mix of open and wooded with a few hills. Shelton is fairly remote, while Steilly is relatively urban. Whichever sounds more appealing is up to you.

Shelton is now listed as one of the top 50 courses and is deserving of its rank. Steilly is wonderful with 3 courses onsite. Steilly is very confusing with baskets and tees laid out all over the place, but there is an online map. If I had to pick one over the other I'd go with Shelton, but you can't go wrong with either.

Shelton is now listed as one of the top 50 courses and is deserving of its rank. Steilly is wonderful with 3 courses onsite. Steilly is very confusing with baskets and tees laid out all over the place, but there is an online map. If I had to pick one over the other I'd go with Shelton, but you can't go wrong with either.

Word for word, i agree.

I'd put in my vote for Shelton too. It's probably my favorite course in the state. Steilly is a great one, but it isn't quite up to the "championship" standard that Shelton has reached. Very, very close, but just not there. Plus Shelton is much less confusing for a first timer.

Wait a minute - who let Getty in here!?

One trip, one course, gas is cheap, drive a little farther, play all 27 at the 'tac.
That's my recommendo.

I liked Shelton Springs a lot. Steilla is a cool spot if you have enough time for all three layouts and can get a local to show you around but if you have time for only one round I'd personally go with Shelton over any individual layout at Steilla.

My annual pilgrimage to Shelton Springs and the West Sound is all booked up (76 days to go, but who's counting).

I can't say enough good things about Shelton Springs. It rocks!

My annual pilgrimage to Shelton Springs and the West Sound is all booked up (76 days to go, but who's counting).

I can't say enough good things about Shelton Springs. It rocks!

Let me know when you'll be here, we'll throw a round or two. :thmbup:

Cool! Will do. We've got a vacation rental booked for four days that's about a mile from NAD. It'll be our second time there and you couldn't ask for a better home base for a disc golf get away.

Cool! Will do. We've got a vacation rental booked for four days that's about a mile from NAD. It'll be our second time there and you couldn't ask for a better home base for a disc golf get away.

PM sent

Latest posts