• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Sheriff vs. Shryke

bobmcnelly

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So I've only been using 11 speed drivers as my max distance drivers for a few months now. That size of rim just feels right in my hand. But I've heard so much hype around the Sheriff and the Shryke I feel like I have to try at least one of them out. How do they compare to each other? I've heard they both fly real far.

So I've only been using 11 speed drivers as my max distance drivers for a few months now. That size of rim just feels right in my hand. But I've heard so much hype around the Sheriff and the Shryke I feel like I have to try at least one of them out. How do they compare to each other? I've heard they both fly real far.

I have been trying and trying to disc down to Speed 11 drivers, but just cannot get the Tern out of my bag, as no 11-speed disc goes as far as the Tern for me. :wall:

Having said that: the Champion Shryke bombed for me when thrown into headwinds. Unfortunately, I lost it in the lake. :( The Star Shryke... Lord have mercy, I have TRIED to make that disc work, but I just cannot get any consistency out ouf it, whether into the wind or otherwise. The C-Shryke was consistent for me; the S-Shryke I just cannot get right.

I have not yet tried the Sheriff, but it's next on my list. The high speed to throw into headwinds, the shallow rim, and its fast-growing reputation have me thinking about it a lot.

Something else you might try is a Westside Destiny... it bombs, too.

I love both. There is a good bit more variation Shrykes from G* to Champion(which I have not thrown) than there is in the Sheriff mold. I have seen individual Star Shrikes that were pretty stable. So, there will be some overlap between Sheriffs and some Shrikes. I am still carrying both in the hopes that I can settle on one or the other. Then again, I could carry basically any Sheriff and my G* Shryke with no overlap at all.

I love both. There is a good bit more variation Shrykes from G* to Champion(which I have not thrown) than there is in the Sheriff mold. I have seen individual Star Shrikes that were pretty stable. So, there will be some overlap between Sheriffs and some Shrikes. I am still carrying both in the hopes that I can settle on one or the other. Then again, I could carry basically any Sheriff and my G* Shryke with no overlap at all.

So the Sheriff is noticeably more stable?

Do you have the Opto Sheriff, Fuzion Sheriff, or both?

And for anyone: how do the Opto and Fuzion Sheriffs compare?

I can only comment on the Shryke, but as a noodle arm the Champ Shryke is comparable to the Champ Tern with just a hair less turn. But that was with limited throws, and honestly I should probably stick with 6-9 speeds.

If you're looking for something long get a havoc and don't look back---my 170g opto is the longest disc I've ever thrown. Kicked my sheriff's butt in distance potential. The only shryke I've ever thrown was a GStar and it was a flippy turd, but that's a very small sample size. Havoc is the only disc I've touched 500 with, Lucid Sheriff usually didn't glide as well and I think I only broke 450 a handful of times before someone stole it :(

The more I throw these, the more I like Sheriff over Shryke. I still want to try a Champ Shryke, and need to find a higher plh Star.

So if I was looking for a longer champ tern, would I go champ Shryke?

So if I was looking for a longer champ tern, would I go champ Shryke?

You certainly could. For me, my Champ Tern and Champ Shryke were about the same (before I lost the Champ Shryke), and the Champ Shryke was a little more overstable, which was good for throwing into headwinds.

Having said that, the Sheriff and Havoc are possible options, as well.

You certainly could. For me, my Champ Tern and Champ Shryke were about the same (before I lost the Champ Shryke), and the Champ Shryke was a little more overstable, which was good for throwing into headwinds.

Having said that, the Sheriff and Havoc are possible options, as well.

I'd take the Shryke over the Havoc all day. Shryke is faster, longer, and has better glide.

I'd definitely consider the Shryke a longer Tern.

Update: there is a new Sheriff in town, and it is going into my bag. Got my 168g Opto Sparkle Sheriff in the mail and I got a chance to throw it against the Shryke and other discs today.

The Sheriff feels much better in my hand than the Shryke does. The Sheriff is more shallow and less domey, which I'm finding that I prefer over deeper-dish and/or domey discs.

The Sheriff flew fairly well for me today. It is not my farthest throwing disc (the 160g Krait was that today), but it beat the Shryke on all but one throws. I also badly griplocked the Shryke once today, and did not griplock ANY other disc on any throws at all. This has been a bane for me with the Shryke.

My intent for the Sheriff is to throw it when the wind is beating my face and on long downhill shots. I don't expect it to be my longest distance disc in tailwinds or calm conditions. I may experiment with a Fuzion Sheriff in the future and see if there's value in it seasoning in and being a distance bomber.

But for me it's Sheriff 1, Shryke 0.

Update: there is a new Sheriff in town, and it is going into my bag. Got my 168g Opto Sparkle Sheriff in the mail and I got a chance to throw it against the Shryke and other discs today.

The Sheriff feels much better in my hand than the Shryke does. The Sheriff is more shallow and less domey, which I'm finding that I prefer over deeper-dish and/or domey discs.

The Sheriff flew fairly well for me today. It is not my farthest throwing disc (the 160g Krait was that today), but it beat the Shryke on all but one throws. I also badly griplocked the Shryke once today, and did not griplock ANY other disc on any throws at all. This has been a bane for me with the Shryke.

My intent for the Sheriff is to throw it when the wind is beating my face and on long downhill shots. I don't expect it to be my longest distance disc in tailwinds or calm conditions. I may experiment with a Fuzion Sheriff in the future and see if there's value in it seasoning in and being a distance bomber.

But for me it's Sheriff 1, Shryke 0.

How would you compare your Sheriff to a champ Tern?

How would you compare your Sheriff to a champ Tern?

It partially depends upon the weights, but my 168g Sheriff is more overstable than my 167g Champion Tern... but not by a lot for my noodle arm. My 157g Champ Tern is becoming my go-to driver for max d, as my 167g Star Tern is becoming a bit flippy. The Sheriff will never replace my Terns, only compliment them as a wind-fighter.

How would these compare to an X Nuke?

Interesting question. I put my X Nuke up, but it is a fine distance driver. From memory, Sheriff is going to have a harder finish. The different Shrykes will compare better probably. G* having more turn for sure. My guess is that Champ will be more OS. Star will be a crap shoot.

Nukes feel larger in my hand as far as rim is concerned.

Shryke

Hey bro! I have a 167g Star Shryke. It kills! I broke my distance record by 40 ft with it. That included some form improvements, but still alot of it was the disc.

I say get a CD3. Flies really far for a speed 11. For RHBH at full power thrown flat the disc has a natural S Curve much like the shryke. The shryke glides more and is definitely faster. For myself the shryke glides right far longer than the cd3. But if you like 11 speed discs get a cd3. I absolutely love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk