• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoes - Best bang for your buck?

Anyone have any experience with Asolo shoes for DG? They can be pricey but I saw some discounted for discontinued colors. Low top trail shoes style.

I had a pair of heavy duty hiking boots years ago and they held up forever for hiking, didn't play DG yet.

Anyone have any experience with Asolo shoes for DG? They can be pricey but I saw some discounted for discontinued colors. Low top trail shoes style.

I had a pair of heavy duty hiking boots years ago and they held up forever for hiking, didn't play DG yet.

Yep, Asolo Quadrants with vibram soles. Nice low drop shoe, very comfortable. I had a lace loop snap on one, but Asolo replaced the shoes ;) Other than that, VERY happy with them. As comfortable as Salomons, but the soles are much longer lasting.

hit up marshals they always seem to have nice shoes for disc golf at super reasonable prices. for me the best shoe i have used is the vasque breeze i think 5 years and still going strong

got a pair of Columbia hiking shoes and love them.. wore them all winter water proof or resistant at least look good and clean up well in the kitchen sink. best shoe I ever owned for d/g good grip also . got on sale at outlet store for 60.00

Thanks dysmike!

By the way brickdoctor, you should never clean your shoes in the kitchen sink :)

I love wearing spikeless golf shoes for my rainy/early morning rounds. These shoes are designed to be worn in high rough and still be waterproof. Usually they are all leather and don't have liners like many wp trail shoes have. I am sure the wp membranes work fine, but the best way to keep feet dry is never allow water through the outside of the shoe at all. Also, they tend not to smell like I understand is a problem with the membrane shoes. Just stuff some newspaper in them after the round to soak up any sweat. My policy is to only wear them when I have to b/c they will wear down, but the ones I like probably have 25 rounds plus the golf rounds I have played in them and have very little wear. I suspect I have at least another 75 rounds on them and that seems pretty good since I only wear them about once a month(I only play on the weekends usually).

My personal favorites come from a brand called True Linkswear. Most comfortable shoes I have every worn, and that is not a typo where I meant just golf shoes. They were originally based on zero drop and barefoot platform. They also had a very wide toe box that is actually in the shape of your foot. I call them my clown shoes, but love them b/c I have very wide feet but the mediums with the wide toe box is very accommodating. Unfortunately, it seems that the company seems to be getting away from the clown shoe and are making shoes with a more traditional toe box. However, for someone without very wide feet, they would probably be great. I have stocked up on them from ebay for cheap since I don't know if they will produce the old style again. Here is what amazon has for an example of style and price:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_ex_n...nkswear&bbn=7141123011&ie=UTF8&qid=1437487301

Another that I am considering buying is a spikeless shoe Footjoy makes called the Contour Casual. What I like about them is they come in all width from narrow to extra-wide. But what really impresses me is the sole of the shoe. I think they might last a really long time. It seems to be a harder rubber and they whole sole is made of it, not just the very bottom layer that touches the ground. This might make it a little heavier, but I think it will be worth the longevity.
http://www.amazon.com/FootJoy-Conto...n:1285111011,p_n_size_browse-vebin:1285100011

Any idea if they sell these in a narrow width. I've got really weird feet and if they sell widths I'm stoked as I have never seen a golf/disc golf shoe in widths. I went to the link but didn't see any width options. Maybe I need to revisit and do a new search with that shoe type.

Any idea if they sell these in a narrow width. I've got really weird feet and if they sell widths I'm stoked as I have never seen a golf/disc golf shoe in widths. I went to the link but didn't see any width options. Maybe I need to revisit and do a new search with that shoe type.

do you mean the trues or the footjoy? The footjoy definitely come in narrow. Some of my favorite sites are tgw.com, golfshoesonly, golflocker, and rockbottomgolf. All have good prices and selections, some better than others. The Trues do not come in varrying width, but I have wide feet and the medium fits well in all the old styles and some of the new. My guess is some of the new ones that are not wide would be good for you. The old style(and new styles to an extent) are designed to have a very spacious toe box and fit snugger on the sides and in the heel. I would recommend trying some on first at a local store before you order any or buy local. They are high quality shoes and I would not mind spending $100 on them if the newer styles worked for me and I did not have three backups already.

I meant the foot joy. It would most likely have to be in widths to fit. I don't think anyone would carry locally as I live in the sticks. Would have to probably order online.
Thanks for the help.

I meant the foot joy. It would most likely have to be in widths to fit. I don't think anyone would carry locally as I live in the sticks. Would have to probably order online.
Thanks for the help.

I would still recommend finding your nearest golfsmith, golf galaxy, dicks sporting goods, etc to try them on. You may have to drive out of you way, try some on, and perhaps still save money and time, even considering the travel by ordering online. I have found that golf shoes can often run in much different sizes from normal sneaker and even from each other. For example, I wear a 10 x wide in most sneakers, but golf shoes a 10 medium in one shoe brand, and another I wear anywhere from a 9 xwide to 10 x wide depending on the shoe style( all within one brand). I am obsessive about proper shoe fit both in width and length and to find that much variance in listed sizes but almost the exact same fit can make it difficult to order solely online unless you get free shipping and return and can order a few to find what fits.

Last edited:
I am very hard on Dgolf sneekers and will kill them in a month or two. Usually the toe cap comes off and then the entire front starts to seperate. I have tried all kinds from Nike, NB, to Wal-mart no name, same results.

I switched to low hiking boots. I started with a middle of the line brand called Hi-Tech from Sports Authority for around $60.00. They have lasted since last November black friday. Thats about 9 months compared to 1-2 months for sneekers.

This past weekend holes began in the very grippy soles, tread is not warn but chunks came right out, looks like where the tread patterns fit together.

My next stop today is Dick's to try on some Merrill & Keen. Since these Hi-Tech lasted me 9 months I guess the expensive hiking boots in the end are the best bang for my buck compared to sneekers.

I am very hard on Dgolf sneekers and will kill them in a month or two. Usually the toe cap comes off and then the entire front starts to seperate. I have tried all kinds from Nike, NB, to Wal-mart no name, same results.

I switched to low hiking boots. I started with a middle of the line brand called Hi-Tech from Sports Authority for around $60.00. They have lasted since last November black friday. Thats about 9 months compared to 1-2 months for sneekers.

This past weekend holes began in the very grippy soles, tread is not warn but chunks came right out, looks like where the tread patterns fit together.

My next stop today is Dick's to try on some Merrill & Keen. Since these Hi-Tech lasted me 9 months I guess the expensive hiking boots in the end are the best bang for my buck compared to sneekers.

They all fall apart the same really. Rubber vs concrete is a battle rubber loses every time. In my experience the best thing for longevity is to dedicate a pair of shoes for DG only and look for soles with tread patterns that provide less resistance where you pivot so that the concrete doesn't chew them up as fast (rounded seems to work better than knobby tread).