• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoes - Best bang for your buck?

For 20 bucks, they'd be backups to my backups, so I could probably get away with them being a touch tight, or even blowing out.

My strategy is to only wear my waterproofs when absolutely needed and just wear trail or running shoes for most rounds. Those are usually shoes I used to wear to work, but are now too dirty to get away with. That way I can invest in some better waterproofs, but stretch the life out a lot longer. That to me is the best cost saving strategy.

Thanks for the heads up on the Hi-Tecs. Just got a pair for $23.33 after tax and shipping. Pretty tough to beat that for shoes with Vibram soles!
Have played 3 rounds in these shoes and they're pretty decent. Was going to buy another pair since they were so cheap and good quality, but they're sold out and the price is back up to $45.

Have played 3 rounds in these shoes and they're pretty decent. Was going to buy another pair since they were so cheap and good quality, but they're sold out and the price is back up to $45.

I have now worn these Hi-Tecs for every single round (except one when it actually rained in the summer in Oregon) since May. I play 4-8 rounds per week, and usually throw multiples. These are still going strong. My pinky on my big fat foot is finally starting to poke through the mesh uppers, and probably will spring a leak soon, but the soles are holding up just fine.
Best. Bang. For. $20.

i have about 20 rounds with my hitechs and they are doing very well. went back to snag a backup pair and my size was gone. I'm checking the website daily hoping against hope for a restock. best 23$ I've spent in a long time.

i have about 20 rounds with my hitechs and they are doing very well. went back to snag a backup pair and my size was gone. I'm checking the website daily hoping against hope for a restock. best 23$ I've spent in a long time.

If you're willing to go a size up, they've got some 10's in stock at Sierra Trading Post.
Price is up to $47 + shipping, but there's a 35% off coupon on RetailMeNot that worked for me.

Works out alright for me since I'm finally having to replace the Merrell Bare Access that I picked up for about the same price years ago. Unfortunate that I missed the $20 bandwagon.

It is a serious pain trying to find decent shoes at a good price when you need size 13-14 wides.

If you need 13-14 wides you might want to try the New Balance trail shoes with vibram soles. I just picked up a pair of MO99's and they feel great. Tons of good grip and very light weight. Plenty of room, normally most shoes run too narrow.

If you need 13-14 wides you might want to try the New Balance trail shoes with vibram soles. I just picked up a pair of MO99's and they feel great. Tons of good grip and very light weight. Plenty of room, normally most shoes run too narrow.

Did you get the wide version or the mediums?

I just got the mo99 too. What a great looking and confortable shoe. Just got to see how they hold up. For 39$ shipped it was worth a try

Anybody ever tried metal heel plates or sole protectors? Like the kind you see on dress boots/shoes?