• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoes - Best bang for your buck?

i stocked up when hi tech had those vibram sole ones for $20 shipped i just ran out of my last pair

havent seen that good of a deal in a while

Do hi-tecs have shoe with all of those features you listed (waterproof, toe cap, light weight)?

Is there certain stores that carry hi-tecs? I had a pair many years ago and it was really nice. Used em for hiking and paintball at the time... super comfy.

All I can say is to check out Hi-Tec's website to see their lineup. I'm not all that familiar with their various models. I know they have waterproof, and some are lightweight, but I don't recall seeing any with a toe cap.

You can often find them at discount sporting good chains and I think you can order directly from their web site.

All I can say is to check out Hi-Tec's website to see their lineup. I'm not all that familiar with their various models. I know they have waterproof, and some are lightweight, but I don't recall seeing any with a toe cap.

You can often find them at discount sporting good chains and I think you can order directly from their web site.

you still swear by hi tecs

or was it just that one great sale several years ago

I never swore by them. I just said they consistently offer better value than the pricier brands. I still have a 3 year old pair of Hi Tecs that are as comfortable as any pair of Merrells or Keens I've owned and holding up nicely.

Full disclosure: I'm not a toe dragger, so I can't speak to that. Never been had issue with any shoes I've owned.

If you can get a "more premium" brand for less, do it. But I really haven't found Keens or Merrells to last longer, or be more comfortable. I'm all about a quality hiker at the best price.

I never swore by them. I just said they consistently offer better value than the pricier brands. I still have a 3 year old pair of Hi Tecs that are as comfortable as any pair of Merrells or Keens I've owned and holding up nicely.

Full disclosure: I'm not a toe dragger, so I can't speak to that. Never been had issue with any shoes I've owned.

If you can get a "more premium" brand for less, do it. But I really haven't found Keens or Merrells to last longer, or be more comfortable. I'm all about a quality hiker at the best price.

All good stuff, thanks.

I honestly don't know how my shoes tore like they did. I didn't think I drug my toe and it doesn't seem like I do so I don't get it...I guess FH I likely do but I primarily throw BH.

All good stuff, thanks.

I honestly don't know how my shoes tore like they did. I didn't think I drug my toe and it doesn't seem like I do so I don't get it...I guess FH I likely do but I primarily throw BH.

that rip on the right side ive gotten and same with friends who throw primarily rhbh

the big toe is usually drag from rhfh

that rip on the right side ive gotten and same with friends who throw primarily rhbh

the big toe is usually drag from rhfh

Yeah, I suppose it doesn't take much on the rhfh toe drag.

I must twist my foot weird or something on rhbh

Yeah, I suppose it doesn't take much on the rhfh toe drag.

I must twist my foot weird or something on rhbh

ive had merrells rip on that spot with mostly just walking on them they were that type of fabric too

i think with the walking motion it naturally weakens it

If you're patient or plan ahead, you can usually find Adidas stuff on sale. Their goretex seems to be better than most other shoes I've tried (salomon, merrell, keen, etc) I picked up 2 pair of Tracerocker GTX last summer for like $130 shipped. They've held up very well so far, helps that I've been rotating pairs to extend the life of them. Right now they have CMTK GTX on sale for $77/pair, which is also pretty good.

I'm not a fan of the swift which everyone seems to love, those run pretty narrow and don't work for my feet.

^^^These have EVA midsoles, which is what most Terrex have (and running shoes have had for 30 years), but if you haven't tried the Boost sole, you really should. The Agravic line uses it and they feel amazing. It's like an anti-fatigue kitchen mat in your shoe, that is still springy and responsive. You can tell its a Boost shoe from that geometric patterned foam (usually white) just above the outsole: https://www.adidas.com/us/terrex-agravic-xt-gore-tex-trail-running-shoes/EE9570.html

Nike's React midsole (released in 2018) might be better, but I've only owned one pair so far. It's easier to find Adidas Boost trail runners on sale, because they've been on the market for 5 years.

^^^These have EVA midsoles, which is what most Terrex have (and running shoes have had for 30 years), but if you haven't tried the Boost sole, you really should. The Agravic line uses it and they feel amazing. It's like an anti-fatigue kitchen mat in your shoe, that is still springy and responsive. You can tell its a Boost shoe from that geometric patterned foam (usually white) just above the outsole: https://www.adidas.com/us/terrex-agravic-xt-gore-tex-trail-running-shoes/EE9570.html

Nike's React midsole (released in 2018) might be better, but I've only owned one pair so far. It's easier to find Adidas Boost trail runners on sale, because they've been on the market for 5 years.

I can vouch for boost comfy-ness. On my third pair of boots running shoes. The cloth like material on those isn't durable but they feel great.

I can vouch for boost comfy-ness. On my third pair of boots running shoes. The cloth like material on those isn't durable but they feel great.

They have goretex and other more durable uppers paired with the Boost, but I do like the knits. I had a pair of Response Trail Boosts for two years, before the lugs on the Continental soles finally wore flat (average of two rounds a week). Only one tear in the knit.

I'm also going to be researching and looking to get a pair of these when on sale or something from the agravic line that has the boost tech. I noticed that the one you linked is the only one that has the description about the toe cap and welded seams (see link I highlighted description here:
http://imgur.com/a/jF3Lyho)

But all of the agravic gore tex line (cheaper ones) look the same to me there. Even on what appears to be the same shoe in black doesn't have that description (is also cheaper). You think it's likely just an omission or is the 170 shoe really the only one with really good toe cap?

Cheers

I'm also going to be researching and looking to get a pair of these when on sale or something from the agravic line that has the boost tech. I noticed that the one you linked is the only one that has the description about the toe cap and welded seams (see link I highlighted description here:
http://imgur.com/a/jF3Lyho)

But all of the agravic gore tex line (cheaper ones) look the same to me there. Even on what appears to be the same shoe in black doesn't have that description (is also cheaper). You think it's likely just an omission or is the 170 shoe really the only one with really good toe cap?

Cheers

Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if one version had it and the other didn't. For instance, the Response line seems to switch from a Continental outsole to just an Adidas branded outsole every other model.

I normally put a pair of shoes on an Amazon wish list and then wait until the end of the year(ish) and wait for the last few pairs to be discounted.

I got a pair of addias agravic GTX shoes last year for $48 doing this. Back in 2017 I got a pair of adidas kanadia 7 gtx's for $51. I got a little over 2 and a half years out of the kanadias and just switched to the agravics. My goal is to be able to score a pair of the adidas CMTK GTX in the next year for close to the same amount.

I got a pair of merrell's (capra bolt waterproof) for $60 last year as well, but they are pretty uncomfortable, so they live in my trunk as backups.

My shoe size may help with this routine though, as I wear size 14's. Usually those are the first or last to go, and if they're the last one's they'll get discounted. Definitely a slow-go plan though.

Last edited: