• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoes - Best bang for your buck?

Salomons seem to hold up the best the longest, all things equal.

Then Oboz, then Merrill's. Out of the brands I've tried for discing.

Irrespective of comfort, fit, etc.

The true origin of the Jukeshoe moniker: it was a video game handle dating back to Madden 04.

I'd talk trash to my buddy and if I did a spin or juke move I'd say, "Putting on my juke shoe, mofo!"

So it became my gaming name and the rest is HISTORY!!!

Jukeshoes look like this, for the record:
5d5bdde9a165904f85d9f13e-large.jpg

The metal toes really hold up well on concrete pads when you've got a wicked toe drag...:| :|

The courses I play these days aren't very rugged so, it's a court shoe or skate shoe. They work for me on the tee and hold up
pretty well for my toe drag. Leather low cut Converse or Vans.

Been through a lot of shoes, and a lot of brands. I just really like Merrell Moab fst's. Shoes are so personal, but these are my favorites.

for non-rugged courses, I've been using Lakai Flaco's. they wear like iron. not good if it's wet, but it's been hot and dry lately, and I love 'em.

I'm a firm believer that the best BFYB comes down to what you can find on clearance (or at least on sale) at the time you're looking.

It's really as some as that. I like to feel the shoes on my feet, walk, and even go through an X-step before buying, so online doesn't really work for me, unless I'm already familiar with that shoe, and know how it fits me and feels on my foot.

Just picked these up at Mountain Warehouse.
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/u...s_mAdr-QKFVLnfANsEpPTOE0lhp_5ij8aAumEEALw_wcB

The online price is $50, but I picked them up in store for $40. Nice and light, with a waterproof membrane (Isodry is their brand of Goretex).

Still have a pair of Curlew lowtop hikers I bought from them a few years ago. I'm happy with the construction and the quality. The downside is they don't carry half sizes, which may exclude some buyers.

Attachments

• 71wmevXx3PL._AC_UL1500_.jpg
    71wmevXx3PL._AC_UL1500_.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Pretty much any ASICS hiking/trail runners.

Sponsor me ASICS!

Not the most affordable but I reall y have been liking the Altra Lone Peak series have had the 4 and 5 picked both up for around $70 from backcountry on discount. They have a square toe box that is nice for wide feet and the outsole is pretty durable haven't had issues with lugs tearing off. The are zero drop which is nice compared to the huge heel cushion on some runners and hiking boots.

Not the most affordable but I reall y have been liking the Altra Lone Peak series have had the 4 and 5 picked both up for around $70 from backcountry on discount. They have a square toe box that is nice for wide feet and the outsole is pretty durable haven't had issues with lugs tearing off. The are zero drop which is nice compared to the huge heel cushion on some runners and hiking boots.

Ive been contemplating getting a pair of those. I have a pair of Altra running shoes and they are amazing. Glad to hear they are holding up.

Ive been contemplating getting a pair of those. I have a pair of Altra running shoes and they are amazing. Glad to hear they are holding up.

For sure Altra makes great running shoes. The only thing about the construction of the lone peaks I have some doubts about is the sidewalls of the toe box, the thickness is closer to a runner than a hiker. Haven't had issue yet but time will tell.

How about shoe inserts? I always wear a hole in the ball of my pivot foot. I usually use Dr. Scholl's since they are not too expensive and I can replace them pretty often if needed. Worried I will have to replace higher quality inserts just as often and it is not worth the upgrade because of this. Any thoughts?

Latest posts