• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoes - Best bang for your buck?

last post about these for a while

i threw around with the 40s

the bottom nubs are starting to tear off already like the continental sole terrex but this is after one round of 18

they were comfy af but i doubt these would handle much abuse

i would rate the 40s ability to grip at about 6/10

i slipped out a few times on concrete pads with some sand/dirt on them

once again i think the tsla make better walking/hiking shoes than dg shoes but the price point is fair

40s are way better all around than 32s

What's your go too premium shoe than?

What's your go too premium shoe than?

i go for bang for buck

the best bang for buck shoe was the hi tecs with the vibram sole that everyone was gettin for $20 shipped a handful of years back

last year i blew thru my last pair of those

aint been the same since so now im hungry to find out what the best bang for buck shoe is

i go for bang for buck

the best bang for buck shoe was the hi tecs with the vibram sole that everyone was gettin for $20 shipped a handful of years back

last year i blew thru my last pair of those

aint been the same since so now im hungry to find out what the best bang for buck shoe is

If I like minimalist. I might get some vivobarefoot primus trail's.
You ever wear waterproof socks?

So for work this past off season I wore my Merrel Moab Ventilators. Got some work insoles in there, I walked alot at that gig, and afterwards, I thought they'd be toast, high impact, food production type stuff. Pulled them out for a round and they still are going strong. I've had them for at least 3 years now. I bought them used, so at 10 bucks I'd say they have been the best value yet. Which seems to go without saying, as I've actually owned several pairs and gotten the same mileage out of them. Love them.

If I like minimalist. I might get some vivobarefoot primus trail's.
You ever wear waterproof socks?

i havent

i saw some people on other forums ranting and raving about it but i havent tried them

I really like the Merrell Move Glove shoes. They aren't for everyone though. They are the "minimalist" type of shoe and you can feel the rocks and sticks through the sole. I think they might be out of stock right now and I don't know if that is due to COVID-19 shutting things down or if they didn't sell well enough.

i had some merrell barefoots years ago and blew thru those in a couple of months they werent made to handle dg abuse i could see hiking/walking

i had some merrell barefoots years ago and blew thru those in a couple of months they werent made to handle dg abuse i could see hiking/walking

Might have been the shoe. I've had mine for a while now with no noticeable wear. My 'home' course is rocky, with mostly concrete tee pads. Bunch of cacti and very little grass. The Merrell Move Glove has been holding up very well, better than any "tennis" shoe I've worn.

The Move Glove sole is Vibram and has ridges, the sole continues up over the toe and up from the heel...so it covers the wear spots pretty well.

Got my tsla 40's, they feel great. Going to play in them tomorrow or this weekend

Leave a review on the Amazon page for the model. most are for people either complaining about the beefier model being way too stiff in the mid-sole or people liking the older version of the minimal models with only big complaints being the shoe toe box being a tad narrow having to go up a size.

Merrell Move Glove shoes

Might have been the shoe. I've had mine for a while now with no noticeable wear. My 'home' course is rocky, with mostly concrete tee pads. Bunch of cacti and very little grass. The Merrell Move Glove has been holding up very well, better than any "tennis" shoe I've worn.

The Move Glove sole is Vibram and has ridges, the sole continues up over the toe and up from the heel...so it covers the wear spots pretty well.

Here are three photos of my Merrell Move Glove shoes. I've had them for ~9 months. The courses I play are mostly concrete pads and I throw mainly forehand, so my right toe gets dragged a bit as you can see by the one photo.

I have a friend who wears another version of the Merrell Glove shoe (I think it is the Trail Glove, but might be the Vapor Glove version) and he likes his.

Merrell_Move_Glove1.jpg

MMG_Sole1.jpg

MMG_Toes1.jpg

The best bang for the buck I've found was the Adidas Tracerocker. Used to be called the Kanadia. A nice, durable goretex and outsole, with less of a heel to toe drop than the ax2 (which is great for me)

I bought 2 pair for like $120 last year, great value on clearance but maybe not so much at full price

I'm loving 40s. Played 2 rounds so far, wore around yesterday to get body use to them. I feel sore in more of my calf's and legs more than regular shoes.
Stepped in a puddle this morning and they dried quickly.

I'm loving 40s. Played 2 rounds so far, wore around yesterday to get body use to them. I feel sore in more of my calf's and legs more than regular shoes.
Stepped in a puddle this morning and they dried quickly.

how they grip wet teepads

how they grip wet teepads

Tee pads weren't wet at the time.
Today my hips are sore. Idk if it's just from shoes or from working on my drive and trying to engage hips.
Going to take it slow on the shoes got a pair of UA bandit trails from cheap to cycle.

Tee pads weren't wet at the time.
Today my hips are sore. Idk if it's just from shoes or from working on my drive and trying to engage hips.
Going to take it slow on the shoes got a pair of UA bandit trails from cheap to cycle.

Usually when transitioning to minimal or little to no heel to toe drop shoes the feet are what are usually most sore if it is not the Shins calves used to higher heel to toe drop.

update i already tore the side of the 40s from playing 3 rounds and the heel is showing lots of wear from pivot

these shoes are not built to sustain abuse from dg

these shoes are fine for walking/hiking but not dg

I got a pair of adidas terrex from Costco.com for $30. I like them so much I ordered two more pairs. I have slightly narrow feet, and they are incredibly comfortable with no break in, great soles for dg.

update i already tore the side of the 40s from playing 3 rounds and the heel is showing lots of wear from pivot

90% of the minimal shoes are not made to last if hard on shoes in genral. There is one brand that makes a trail/rod running shoe and a few sandal models built for at least 2000 miles of running. My recommendation is get this one brands shoes that they make both road and trail running shoe, sandals, and a hiking/winter running model or two Xero. The Xero company makes the shoes to last 2000 running miles for just the road models to some people reporting 4000+ running miles for the Trail/road hybrid running on trails with some using a single pair of the hybrid road/trail to fast run the Appalachian Trail, stay away from the lugged trail model, those only have Luggs for grip rest is missing grip so the lugs that are wide space between the lugs make the shoe feel odd underfoot. The most minimal sandal with sole/rubber as thin as Glossy/Matt photo paper made for those who used to run or live barefoot but want just enough protection from very sharp rocks and/or glass/metal and have a smooth sole. The company also makes a shoe for hiking/winter running yeah I have seen post on Amazon of people in deep snow running in the hiking shoe that has a bottom like the trail running model with lugs. Non of the shoes have a mid-sole but some have more rubber between the road.

Last edited:

To sum up my first post above, Xero Shoes are very durable, with some models getting 4000+ durability and lowest I have seen is 1900-2000 miles for runners. Also minimal just do not go casual model for disc golf, upper will not last.

Latest posts