• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Short range game....

ill4mation

Eagle Member
Im curious what you guys throw for a 100-200ft approach shot? This has ALWAYS been the weakest part of my game. I usually throw KC Aviars and sometimes rhynos and sometimes the disc comes out late because it hooks on my pointer finger. I use a 2 finger grip for these type of shots. Im also curious what kind of grip do you use.

Last edited:
you shouldn't be using a two finger grip, you get more control with more fingers. personally i use a fan grip on approach and would recommend that. does it happen with your rhyno? maybe try using a lower profile neutral disc to approach with.

Wizards for anything from slight anny - hyzer. Zone for get out of trouble, skip shots, and high hyzers.

I really don't see how changing the putter is going to make that much of a difference in his release point. It's not like a KC Aviar and a Wizard are drastically different, they're pretty much the same.

your kc aviars are phenomenal approach discs. just try using the fan grip for a while, i used to have this problem too, and the fan solved it.

I use a pinch grip with my index finger locked on the bead. If you want something without a bead that still can handle a bit of snap..the magnet/clutch really hold a great line. As does the VOODOO

I also like to use the fan grip on anything between 60-130 feet or so. After that I switch to the power grip.

I usually throw an Anode, or a Zone for short approaches, depending on the line.

I really don't see how changing the putter is going to make that much of a difference in his release point. It's not like a KC Aviar and a Wizard are drastically different, they're pretty much the same.

he asked what I threw. I answered.

Seriously though, switch to a fan grip or a modified fan grip. Your putters are fine, it's more about practicing than it is the disc.

Thanks guys, Ill try the fan grip and do some putter only rounds at a few of the courses around here. Ill be at the pratice field tomorrow.

One great way to practice your approach game is to play catch with a friend. Because you don't have to spend time fetching your discs, you get a lot of repetitions in a short time. And then when you're faced with an approach shot at the course, just think of the basket as your catch buddy and throw :)

I know it's not typical for folks on this forum but I only throw my putters with my putting grip anything else feels strange. For anything longer than 100' I'm pulling out my mids and powering down.

I tend to use a Rhyno on those shots. I don't know the name of my grip, but it's thumb on the thumb-trac and four fingers under, except in the really rare times I have to flick it.

I use a fan grip on the putter to about 120 ft then switch to a power grip. If there's any kind of a ceiling to worry about I switch to a more glidey mid...

Im curious what you guys throw for a 100-200ft approach shot? This has ALWAYS been the weakest part of my game. I usually throw KC Aviars and sometimes rhynos

The disc you use has nothing to do with it.

Practice, practice, pracrice.

Maybe start playing catch with a lid, too. Helped me a lot.

i like to fh shots in that range, i find it easier to get the distance right

Same here. but I am trying to get better at the backhand using a really beat SE rhyno. FH is just such an easier shot to me when im in that range.