• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Short range game....

Yeti & dx big bead.
A good fan grip can be deadly accurate in the 100'-280' range, probably longer.
Lots of thumb pressure, a couple steps then pound the hammer.
Once you get the hang of long fan grip putter shots you'll wonder how you ever lived without them.

Im curious what you guys throw for a 100-200ft approach shot? This has ALWAYS been the weakest part of my game. I usually throw KC Aviars and sometimes rhynos and sometimes the disc comes out late because it hooks on my pointer finger. I use a 2 finger grip for these type of shots. Im also curious what kind of grip do you use.
What everyone else said, especially playing catch.

However, I will say this - I also had trouble with my finger catching on discs with a pointy bottom rim (e.g., Aviar, Pure, and Warlock). Not every time, but occasionally. A more rounded rim bottom like a Wizard, Ion, or Anode gives me a more consistent release.

For whatever reason, I don't have that problem with Rhynos. :confused:

ymmv

Your wrist action needs to remain the same at all power release levels. Concentrate on having the palm of your hand flatt & pointing towards the ground after you release the disc. Practice Practice Practice

Definitely wizards for any upshots and an occasional challenger too. Also the closer I get I will use a ridge by vibram because it seems to have less glide to it and I sometimes throw my wizards to far.

A fan grip all the way. Just more control that way.

I use a 4 finger power grip on all my approach shots, I like the consistency and power I can get with less effort, a fan grip has never worked for me on anything but putting

I have the same problem with late release when I try to throw full shots with deep rim putters. They catch my index finger on release. Forget Wizards or Anoids, you'll have the same problem because of their deep rims. Try any of the more shallow rimmed approach discs like XDs, Classic Rocs, Gators, Spiders, etc.

Depends on the line and lengh. A Pure for the 80' to 120', Core/Fuse for anything longer. The main factor is which tree I want to hit lol.

Anything past my putting range up to about 150', I use a sideways stance, don't take my eyes off the target, use a small reach back, and throw with fan grip. From 150' to 200', I either throw from a standstill or a run-up, turn my head about 90 degrees from the target on reach back, and generally use a fork grip. The disc you use isn't as big a deal. I prefer neutral putters and mids (Anode and Axis).

I use a VP for just about anything 200' and in. It's the perfect approach disc in my opinion; slow, overstable, forgiving, not too much glide, and will stick where it lands. If I have to hit a real tight tunnel or turn to the right (rhbh), I will use a Summit, but I use the VP whenever I can (easily my favorite mold in my bag). From about 100' or so and in I use my control grip (putting grip) and anything past that I use my normal driving grip.

The best thing that I found to improve my short range game os playing putter only rounds. It forced me to really learn to use it for all shots. But if you prefer to use mids, then try some mid only rounds. Either way you'll get better.

The best thing that I found to improve my short range game os playing putter only rounds. It forced me to really learn to use it for all shots. But if you prefer to use mids, then try some mid only rounds. Either way you'll get better.

this.

also I expect the issue isn't so much as distance (if we're talking <200') as much as it is a line you need.

If I'm being honest, approaches are probably the best part of my game. For me, an approach shot is anything from about 100-200, and any workable putter will do (i.e. any putter that you can throw straight no fade, anny, hyzer, powered down to flex for short distances). Rarely, I'll throw a Zone on a flex or forehand.

As everyone else has said, putter only is the way to go. Even if you love your mids, throw the putter until you can do that proficiently. Then if you still like approaching with your mids, do that. But not having that putter in your tool box is going to be a barrier for you. Practice makes perfect, and even though it might feel awkward at first, you'll get used to it. That's what practice is for--I hated throwing putters and even mids like the Comet before I forced myself to man up, figure out how to grip them, and throw them. Not liking how they feel is no excuse: there are a lot of different putters with different profiles out there.

I use a fan grip for everything, including drives. If I'm throwing the putter hard, I grip harder and tighter and do a full reach back and run up. If I'm throwing a touch shot, I throw from a stand still, grip more softly (so as to produce less spin on the disc), and barely reach back.

Approaches are from my putting range to about 220'. For direct, constant lines (hyzer, straight, anny) it's an Opto Pure with a fan grip. Fan grips on anything slower than a driver and occasionally a long Wasp shot. But back to approaches -- a beat in TM2 Pure handles flips to turnovers and occasionally a roller if need.

From about 150' and in it's always a stand a deliver like throwing a catch lid. Anything farther it depends on the wind and line and whatnot as to whether I'll take a step or two.

Polecat for anything straight or flippy or precise. Ion or Anode (often flicked) for anything with hyzer or I need some more accurate D. Sometimes a Fuse on the really long ones. It's good to have options.

I really only use my mids from maybe 225 on out to 290ish. Its that inside 225 that im looking to improve on. I tried a modified fan grip in practice yesterday and it felt comfortable right away. Just need to work a little on release point than I should be good to go.

Latest posts