• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I get a Firebird

Makes sense... I am going to get a FB to try out.... b/c I play by myself rather fast, I usually drive 1 disc for score and then throw a second drive to see what a different disc or line might get. I am not going to give up on my valks but I really want my forehand drive back!

Makes sense... I am going to get a FB to try out.... b/c I play by myself rather fast, I usually drive 1 disc for score and then throw a second drive to see what a different disc or line might get. I am not going to give up on my valks but I really want my forehand drive back!

Really work on your FH form with a mid... Feild work is the best way to work out problems IMO... I throw XD's FH all the time and it is a supper understable putter. This has helped my form a ton. If you can FH a putter well and shape different lines throwing a driver will be a pice of cake.

I throw lots of putter only rounds too and you might want to give it a try. Get two putters and throw one FH and one BH on every hole, if you keep with it your game will get better I promise.

I actually do alot of field work in my yard with my putters and mids. i have an acre lot and can get a good 250' of space to throw in if I use the street ( with a swing set and trampoline as obstacles).

I have never though about trying to FH with a putter other than in a pinch for a weird putt. But never for distance.

Here are some pics of the grip I use for putters and sometimes mids. It will take some time to get it down but I can FH a xd 260' and a wizard 240'+

IMG_20120101_225314.jpg

IMG_20120101_225339.jpg

IMG_20120101_225405.jpg

If you want the Firebird for FH only, I might suggest trying a Flick. If you've got the FH snap to get it going I find it a much more reliable overstable disc than a Firebird.

If you want the Firebird for FH only, I might suggest trying a Flick. If you've got the FH snap to get it going I find it a much more reliable overstable disc than a Firebird.

Don't listen to this the Flick is way to fast and will turn your form to s***. Fh just like BH can be done well with any disc. Too many people think you can only FH super OS stuff and that is just BS...

Keep throwing big flex shots and hiding your form flaws with you OS disc's and I will FH and Avenger SS 420' on a rope...

Don't listen to this the Flick is way to fast and will turn your form to s***. Fh just like BH can be done well with any disc. Too many people think you can only FH super OS stuff and that is just BS...

Keep throwing big flex shots and hiding your form flaws with you OS disc's and I will FH and Avenger SS 420' on a rope...

Wait, didn't you just tell the OP to get a Firebird?? :confused:

You're right, but don't tell the OP he should get a Firechicken for FH.

Agreed and seconded.

If a valk is flipping into a roller after only a short while throwing it backhand, there's something wrong. A faster disc will mask that problem and make it worse. You should be able to throw the most understable disc backhand in a hyzer and make it hold that hyzer line all the way to the end when you try. If you can't do that with a valk, sidewinder, or even roadrunner, then develop that skill to achieve clean form. Forehand is similar, but the amount of torque from forehand is a bit more. Still, sidewinders are known to be great forehand discs, and valks are even more stable than those. I suggest you try something more like a leopard and teebird. Use the leopard for backhand and the teebird for backhand in a headwind or forehand. If you groove your throw to that combo, you should be pretty well off. Firebirds are more useful for extreme headwind and overheads.

She nailed it. Listen and improve.

Wait, didn't you just tell the OP to get a Firebird?? :confused:

You're right, but don't tell the OP he should get a Firechicken for FH.

The FB is only a speed 9 and if he wants a wind disc and a disc he can grow into it is a great disc. I can hyzer flip a few of my pro ones now. I am not telling him to get one for a main FH driver he already said he uses his TeeBird for that.

I also told him to work on his FH form with putters and showed him the grip I use. The FB was my first disc and that was a bad thing but I love the disc and I will never not have one in my bag...

Jen is right on the money also...

Last edited:
The FB is only a speed 9 and if he wants a wind disc and a disc he can grow into it is a great disc. I can hyzer flip a few of my pro ones now. I am not telling him to get one for a main FH driver he already said he uses his TeeBird for that.

I also told him to work on his FH form with putters and showed him the grip I use. The FB was my first disc and that was a bad thing but I love the disc and I will never not have one in my bag...

Jen is right on the money also...

Ok, gotcha.

So I have been playing for several months. Initially my "go to" driver was a valkyrie thrown forehand. Over time, when I would throw the valk forehand, it would just flip over into a roller. It wouldn't catch itself and come back-- it would crash to left (RHFH). I am having more success throwing a Teebird RHBH.

Why not throw the Teebird FH?

I would recommend a Predator, in my opinion they are a better Firebird. Both discs are crazy overstable thus they will not flip at all (brand new).

i throw both, firebirds oh and fh, predators bh the firebird is pulling left the whole time whereas the predator waits till the last second to pull hard left, i have one that is pretty straight and s-curves real pretty

get a new numbers throwing logo fb

Latest posts