• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should top of the basket count?

Should a disc that come to rest on top of the basket count as in?

• Total voters

kerplunk

Double Eagle Member
I am curious what people think about whether a disc that comes to rest on top of the basket should count as in. I realize that the rule now is that it only counts if it is supported by the basket or the chains, and I'm pretty sure the point of this is that you are supposed to get your disc IN the basket. But it still counts if you wedge one into the side, which I think very much goes against the spirit of the rule. So to simplify things and make things a little more fair, I think that a disc supported by the basket structure in ANY way should count. I mean, why count one BS shot and not another? Plus, I think that most new players assume that on top counts.

So what do you think- should a disc coming to rest on top of the basket count?

Nope.
This would especially pose a problem considering that there would then need to be more draconian standards for what the top of the basket looks like.

imo opinion the reason wedge shots cant be outlawed is because its hard to prove either way it didnt go in the basket first and then stick out from the inside , say it was a blind hole for instance.

im not saying i like the wedge rule but i understand why its hard to get rid of it , but i could see making a new rule that the disc would have to have a majority of its body(51% +) inside the basket to count as in , ocassionaly that might be hard to eyeball if its close but thats why they have majority rule for exceptions to satisfy disputes but if you had to yu could measure it pretty easy with a stick or something

It would make life simpler if it did count but it would go against the history of our game. When the basket was designed, it was a representation of the original target which was a tree with two bands of tape wrapped around it. If your disc hit the tape or between the tape, you had holed out. There's no way to hole out on a tree or pole from above the top tape, so Steady Ed did not want landing on top of the new basket to count.

You say, "Well, why does sticking below the basket rim count?" The rationale is that disc can enter the basket coming over the top of the basket rim and try to exit out the side and wedge in the basket. On a tree, that would be like a loft putt where the disc is moving downward when it hits the tree properly above the tape. If the disc, could have traveled "thru the tree," it might have stuck on the way out the other side like in a basket. So you say, "But if everyone sees the disc wedge in the side of the basket from the outside, it was never high enough to be in." That's true. However, one of the benefits of the basket invention was that you could finally tell whether a player holed out on blind holes because the disc was in the basket. Since a disc on a blind shot could wedge in the side of the basket from the outside in or the inside out, the rules give the benefit of the doubt to the player. So, for simplicity, wedgies have always been ruled as good based on the "benefit of the doubt" rule given to players EVEN if it was obvious the disc wedged from the outside.

So, even though it seems logical for first timers to believe landing on the basket should also be good, the question is whether we throw out this historical tradition from the origination of the sport for that convenience of simply having any disc suspended by the basket count as good?

I think the rule is fine the way it is. I expect shots land on top far more often than they wedge into the side. And to me a wedgie isn't any more of a BS shot thsn one that skips in.

imo opinion the reason wedge shots cant be outlawed is because its hard to prove either way it didnt go in the basket first and then stick out from the inside , say it was a blind hole for instance.

im not saying i like the wedge rule but i understand why its hard to get rid of it , but i could see making a new rule that the disc would have to have a majority of its body(51% +) inside the basket to count as in , ocassionaly that might be hard to eyeball if its close but thats why they have majority rule for exceptions to satisfy disputes but if you had to yu could measure it pretty easy with a stick or something

51% by what standard- size or mass? Most discs are uniform mass, but I guess it is possible for someone to hole a shot with an Epic.

This is the simplicity part I was talking about- if the disc is supported by the basket structure in ANY way, it is in. It doesn't change much and makes the rule much simpler.

This has happened to me before, and I have seen it happen to others numerous times. As a push/lob putter, my longer puts are dropping fast when getting close to the basket and nothing is more frustrating than picking up your disc from the top of the basket and droping it in. It is probably harder to have it stick on top than to have one stay in the basket.

In the long run wedgies may gradually disappear since new tech standards for baskets have reduced the size allowed on the gaps in the basket. And some new models being considered for production make it almost impossible for a wedgie to occur. Of course, it will take a long time for those baskets to replace existing models.

i have seen a disc come to rest on top someone else hit it on the top of the basket and knock it in. so i think that it shouldnt count unless that happens.

51% by what standard- size or mass? Most discs are uniform mass, but I guess it is possible for someone to hole a shot with an Epic.

This is the simplicity part I was talking about- if the disc is supported by the basket structure in ANY way, it is in. It doesn't change much and makes the rule much simpler.

I think you'd have to pretty much throw an Epic full force from point-blank range to wedge it into the basket. I've only seen "soft" putters and really beaten discs (pretty much soft at that point) wedge.

So take your lumps and take the extra shot off the top.

It would make life simpler if it did count but it would go against the history of our game. When the basket was designed, it was a representation of the original target which was a tree with two bands of tape wrapped around it. If your disc hit the tape or between the tape, you had holed out. There's no way to hole out on a tree or pole from above the top tape, so Steady Ed did not want landing on top of the new basket to count.

You say, "Well, why does sticking below the basket rim count?" The rationale is that disc can enter the basket coming over the top of the basket rim and try to exit out the side and wedge in the basket. On a tree, that would be like a loft putt where the disc is moving downward when it hits the tree properly above the tape. If the disc, could have traveled "thru the tree," it might have stuck on the way out the other side like in a basket. So you say, "But if everyone sees the disc wedge in the side of the basket from the outside, it was never high enough to be in." That's true. However, one of the benefits of the basket invention was that you could finally tell whether a player holed out on blind holes because the disc was in the basket. Since a disc on a blind shot could wedge in the side of the basket from the outside in or the inside out, the rules give the benefit of the doubt to the player. So, for simplicity, wedgies have always been ruled as good based on the "benefit of the doubt" rule given to players EVEN if it was obvious the disc wedged from the outside.

So, even though it seems logical for first timers to believe landing on the basket should also be good, the question is whether we throw out this historical tradition from the origination of the sport for that convenience of simply having any disc suspended by the basket count as good?

Rules change as sports evolve. It used to be illegal for the puck to come off of the ice in hockey. Women used to play basketball half court. Forward passes used to not be allowed in football. Doing things based on tradition probably causes more harm than good in this world, yet is looked upon as honorable.

And no offense, but I'm starting to think more of you should have chosen the third option.

the width, lets say the disc is 8 inches if 4 1/2 inches are inside the rim its good if more of it is outside the rim than inside its no good , that sure is complicated :rolleyes:

i have seen a disc come to rest on top someone else hit it on the top of the basket and knock it in. so i think that it shouldnt count unless that happens.

There are also some baskets where the holes in the top are big enough for a disc to fall through if it wedges just right. I don't think Steady Ed would have approved...

thats just about as good as it can be explained , very well written good job .
it dont take commen since to know how to read but im sure it cant hurt:)

I think the rule is fine the way it is. I expect shots land on top far more often than they wedge into the side. And to me a wedgie isn't any more of a BS shot thsn one that skips in.

I have almost purposely skip aced- good way to get around a hard corner. Hit chains solid and fell onto the basket, then tipped out instead of in. You can't hit much more metal and not stick. But I'm not one of those that is bitter about this sort of thing- it obviously wasn't a perfect shot if it didn't stay in!

Latest posts