• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Show us your bag mods!

some call me...tim?

Double Eagle Member
I like seeing the tweaks that people make to their equipment to suit their purposes, or to make their bag just a little better. Like one of my friends reinforces his stress points with rivets, or there was the dude that modified his Kong to hold a couple speakers. That kind of stuff is cool.

I've already posted in the Bag Waterproofing thread, but wanted to make one solely dedicated to bag modifications in general. So here's what I've done to my Simian (so far):

Impressed by the Phenix bags, and tired of my bags getting wet from the ground up, I added water proofing to the bottom:

bottoma.jpg

fronta.jpg

Not a good pic, but I added a handle from an old piece of luggage to the top strap, this makes it way more comfortable to lug around one handed.

0115100616a-1.jpg

And not really a performance modification, but the bag is Mandalorian approved:

1013092205a-1.jpg

Needless to say, my Sim is fairly new, and I'm pretty stoked on most of its features, so there isn't a whole lot for me to modify. There are a few little tweaks I think I still may make though.

I've had a few questions already about the waterproofing on the bottom of the bag, and I'll try to fill you guys in on the pertinent details. The stuff I used is called Grizzly Grip. A pint of it (the aromatic) should be an ample amount--I could probably have done a smaller bag in addition to the Sim if I was judicious in the amount I poured out while applying. The Grizzly Grip guy recommends picking up his specialized rollers for application, but you can skip this. I'm sure they work great on big flat surfaces, but the roller was pretty much useless for applying on a bag. What you want to use instead is just a couple cheap foam brushes from the hardware store and dab the stuff on. Make sure you have a metal paint tray or something similar to use because the Grizzly Grip will melt through plastic as it cures. :shock: (It's fine on fabric though, obviously).

As for the actual application, make sure you do it outdoors or in a place that's well ventilated. Also make sure you have a good ground cloth down or aren't worried about the floor...this stuff has the amazing ability to get everywhere, and cling to it tenaciously. To mask the bag off, I'd recommend filling the pockets as much as possible with something small, like packing peanuts maybe. I used wads of newspaper, which worked fairly well, but still left some crease-causing gaps (note the right side of the bag in the first pic). I think that would help with keeping the masking tape in uniform contact with the bag too. I used blue painter's masking tape for this, and it worked pretty well, but there were some spots where the tape didn't make solid contact with the fabric, and I got some drips. And in a couple spots, where the Grizzly Grip ran under the tape, the tape became embedded in the coating (you can see a little bit in the second pic on the left hand side.) I plugged the grommet holes with little rolled up pieces of newspaper which seemed to work all right. The newspaper kinda got stuck in the Grizzly Grip like the masking tape did, but it wears away really quickly.

After that, it's all pretty easy. Just shake up the bottle of Grizzly Grip really well to get the chunks mixed around, pour a bit into the tray, and dab away. Get one coat on, let it set up (an hour or two, IIRC), and then put a second one on. Let it sit for a day or two, and you're good to go. I think that about covers it, I can try to answer any other questions anyone might have though.

If you've made any modifications to your bag, post up some pics!

Great post Tim 8)

Thanks for the tutorial - Where did you get the Grizzly Grip? Wal Mart?

I'd be interested to see how long/well that stuff holds up. I'm sure you could just re-apply coats as they wear. Either way its probably much better than having nothing there other than the bare fabric! Very cool.

I read this as show us your bags moderators. :lol: I have only made minor modifications to my bag but I will get some pics up later.

Jsw said:
Great post Tim 8)

Thanks for the tutorial - Where did you get the Grizzly Grip? Wal Mart?

I'd be interested to see how long/well that stuff holds up. I'm sure you could just re-apply coats as they wear. Either way its probably much better than having nothing there other than the bare fabric! Very cool.

http://www.grizzlygrip.com/

I am so doing that to my bags. I've been wanting to do that for a while but didn't know what to use.

I've modded a few bags but don't have pics here at work, I know I've posted them before. I cut away the top of my Carolina to make a completely square opening. I wouldn't recommend you try that unless you have some sewing skill, it's a little funky.

I've also added a piece of wood to almost every GB bag I've owned on the inside front of the main disc compartment. I did it originally to help shore up a Kong I had that sagged when it wasn't completely full but I've since done it to my silverback because I use it as a handle to grab my bag and lift it. I find it pretty convenient and use it more than you would think.

I'm also messing around with sewing a frame into my mini deluxe because the frame that comes with it is useless but if I don't have the bag full up, it sags in from the sides.

Would be a good time to post pics of some of my bag mods (decorative tattooing, several hafadas, & guiche). I'm sure mods would quickly intervene, so I guess I won't.

veganray said:
Would be a good time to post pics of some of my bag mods (decorative tattooing, several hafadas, & guiche). I'm sure mods would quickly intervene, so I guess I won't.

you always talk such a big game about your bag but we never get to see pics of it.

Sack up boy!and link that shit

Ask your mom for the pics she took when we were done. Although you might not be able to see much detail due to all the santorum she left in that area.

My mom see twenty clients a day, you're going to need to be more specific than "ask your mom about my sack".

Frank Delicious said:
I am so doing that to my bags. I've been wanting to do that for a while but didn't know what to use.

I've modded a few bags but don't have pics here at work, I know I've posted them before. I cut away the top of my Carolina to make a completely square opening. I wouldn't recommend you try that unless you have some sewing skill, it's a little funky.

I've also added a piece of wood to almost every GB bag I've owned on the inside front of the main disc compartment. I did it originally to help shore up a Kong I had that sagged when it wasn't completely full but I've since done it to my silverback because I use it as a handle to grab my bag and lift it. I find it pretty convenient and use it more than you would think.

I'm also messing around with sewing a frame into my mini deluxe because the frame that comes with it is useless but if I don't have the bag full up, it sags in from the sides.

I wasn't sure what to use at first either, I was contemplating the spray on bedliner that you can find at auto parts stores but wasn't sold on it. I also got quotes from local Line-X/Rhino Lining places to see if they'd do it. I think one place quoted ~$50 to do it, and another had a $100 minimum charge. I think the Grizzly Grip should come out to be somewhere around $20-$25 with the shipping.

I'm interested in those frame additions you're talking about, sounds cool.

veganray said:

If all else fails, they could just move it to the bizarre thread. :D

I modified a hiking backpack to carry discs. It will hold 12-14 in the bottom section, 2-3 putters in the organizer section and a six-pack of bottles in a cooler in the top section. I removed the hip strap because it will be picked up and set down often and the strap just seemed to get in the way. I built a frame for the bottom disc section and it stands up well on its own. It is also set up to use a hydration bladder as well if desired. I picked up a couple extra bags and was planning on putting them together if there is interest in them.
p1100012.jpg

p1100016.jpg

p1100003edited1.jpg

p1100017o.jpg

Thanks guys!

That is the only blue one I have and I think I will keep it. The extra ones are three orange, four red, and one green. They will be available as soon as I build the frames for them.

Since DJ asked me about this in a PM, here is a pic of my old kong with the piece of wood put in the front. It was pretty handy to me and really helped stabilize the kong. I haven't done it to my new silverback yet because I'm thinking about trying to sew it into the front and also my new silverback looks to pretty to mess up right now.

95rnnb.jpg

Latest posts