• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Silver Series: 2022 Music City Open Apr 1-3

I wonder if the producer(s) could not go to Nikko until he's been over his shot for 15-20 seconds. . . . just to save the frustration of watching him take so long.

Does Locastro get any shots off in 30 seconds?:wall:

15'er . . . .right at 30, give him 29. :)

Let's go nikko win this ****

They just announced that Jeff Spring is on the course counting Nikko's time. I called it last year. The rule change wasn't going to ever get PLAYERS to call excessive time violations, but it cannot preclude tour directors or tournament directors from doing so.

They just announced that Tour Director Jeff Spring is following the group and timing Locastro.:popcorn:
Things will get very, very interesting if he warns or penalizes Nikko.

This is a tough situation and not an enviable position for anyone involved when it comes to someone taking so long. Nikko is a better player when he plays this slowly so it's easy to appreciate why he does it -- tough to play with players this slow though so there's the rub . . . should be like a "time chip" in poker that a player gets a certain number of so someone like Nikko could use them at crucial times. . . . I'm sure Nikko doesn't know how slow he actually is -- he's probably thinking he's playing as fast as anyone .

(they're not talking about us with "having the stopwatch out" are they?)

I had Nikko at 45seconds on the last putt. . . .

This is a tough situation and not an enviable position for anyone involved when it comes to someone taking so long. Nikko is a better player when he plays this slowly so it's easy to appreciate why he does it -- tough to play with players this slow though so there's the rub . . . should be like a "time chip" in poker that a player gets a certain number of so someone like Nikko could use them at crucial times. . . . I'm sure Nikko doesn't know how slow he actually is -- he's probably thinking he's playing as fast as anyone .

I think that is "horsefeathers!" (as Col Potter used to say). When there is bad weather — rain/cold — they just don't take that long cause it's rainy and/or cold. So it proves that neither Nikko or the others need to.

Interesting, but definitely not preferable.

Hear me out.

If Nikko gets a penalty, it sends a message to the whole disc golf community that Nikko is slow.

Everyone thinks: Doesn't affect me.

If the other players in the group get a penalty for failing to make a call, it sends a message to the whole disc golf community that they actually have a reason to make calls. For all kinds of rules.

Seems like if you're gonna have people following a group counting time between shots then you need to do it for every group on the course.

Doesn't seem right that only certain groups get targeted.

I suspect that SOMEO alerted Jeff Spring. He didn't single Nikko out (I'm guessing). He followed the group that was pointed out to him as playing too slow...

Hear me out.

If Nikko gets a penalty, it sends a message to the whole disc golf community that Nikko is slow.

Everyone thinks: Doesn't affect me.

If the other players in the group get a penalty for failing to make a call, it sends a message to the whole disc golf community that they actually have a reason to make calls. For all kinds of rules.

I understand your point, I just don't think a professional sport should require players to be referees. I played a lot of pickup basketball growing up as well as other sports. Call your own was fine then, but this is professional disc golf. The competitors are intended to play at the highest level. Standing around with a stop watch means they aren't focused on there reason for being there.

Ruling on OB is a bit different. Don't have an issue with that. Stance violations are iffy.

All of this comes back to being pragmatic. We don't/won't have 36 plus officials on a course.

It's a problem with an obvious but impractical solution and a practical solution in place that isn't working.

I suspect that SOMEO alerted Jeff Spring. He didn't single Nikko out (I'm guessing). He followed the group that was pointed out to him as playing too slow...

Right, but what happens when somebody compiles a bunch of footage of a player who might have a high tendency of foot faulting? If they complain enough and show proof are you gonna start seeing officials following that player's card?

Easy way to alleviate any situations like that is to play within the rules, but they need to either have a rules official or whatever on every card or none at all.

Right, but what happens when somebody compiles a bunch of footage of a player who might have a high tendency of foot faulting? If they complain enough and show proof are you gonna start seeing officials following that player's card?

Easy way to alleviate any situations like that is to play within the rules, but they need to either have a rules official or whatever on every card or none at all.

It's a mess for sure. But this is professional, thus what's best for the professional sport comes in to the debate. 70th place doesn't alter the outcome or even the money.

looks like yet another course has beat the dgcr champ

Dead last out of those who actually finished...

Poor Joey...

OGC.0f29c8117d896f67ed71e31c3f1e6970

I understand your point, I just don't think a professional sport should require players to be referees. I played a lot of pickup basketball growing up as well as other sports. Call your own was fine then, but this is professional disc golf. The competitors are intended to play at the highest level. Standing around with a stop watch means they aren't focused on there reason for being there.

Ruling on OB is a bit different. Don't have an issue with that. Stance violations are iffy.

All of this comes back to being pragmatic. We don't/won't have 36 plus officials on a course.

It's a problem with an obvious but impractical solution and a practical solution in place that isn't working.

In golf you call penalties on yourself... There are also rules officials with every group but you are expected to make the calls yourself.

In golf, the time rules are a bit different though. The group is expected to play at a certain speed and all players in the group take a penalty if one is enforced.

Latest posts