• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Skellefteå Open 2023

Jolt

* Ace Member *
Skellefteå Open has started, this is one brutal course.

Small FPO field, strange as many of the FPO players already is in Norway. . close so why not play.

Hoie 16 is fun. .1106ft in the woods :) This course only have 8 par 3s and and of those only ONE is less than 100m!!

https://www.udisclive.com/?d=MPO#!

Not sure what special layout they are playing. . but its not the BLACK layout. . . this course have the only par 6 that i have heard of :)

MANY courses to play here, and in some parts of the year the sun is upp 24h a day. .

Alla-slingor.jpg

Entertaining FPO round 1. The Europeans played solid. Ella Hanson looked a little fragile, and was 11th late in the round. Came back well with a great birdie on 18.

Last edited:
Not sure what special layout they are playing. . but its not the BLACK layout. . . this course have the only par 6 that i have heard of :)

MANY courses to play here, and in some parts of the year the sun is upp 24h a day. .

Looks like quite the complex. Highbridge Gold used to have a par 6 hole, I believe. Without ever playing one, I'm not sure if par 6 is a good idea or not, but I tend to think it's overkill. Would have to be a really special hole.

Looks like quite the complex. Highbridge Gold used to have a par 6 hole, I believe. Without ever playing one, I'm not sure if par 6 is a good idea or not, but I tend to think it's overkill. Would have to be a really special hole.
That par 6 hole was incorporated more for marketing purposes than challenge. The owner was looking to showcase unique course elements to draw the existing player base in the mid-2000s to drive 3-4 hours to their disc golf complex. These days, gold level par 6s aren't really necessary, especially if they require extensive mowing to maintain their playability. However, gold level par 5s would be considered par 6s if par were being calculated or set for lower-level divisions.

Paul is using a caddy. Something he rarely does. Wonder if he's going to start doing that more often?

I don't how much difference it might make, but carrying a bag is a little more work. Little more stress on the back.

Paul is using a caddy. Something he rarely does. Wonder if he's going to start doing that more often?

I don't how much difference it might make, but carrying a bag is a little more work. Little more stress on the back.

It might be more a marketing thing?

It might be more a marketing thing?

I don't see what the marketing angle would be for having someone caddy for him???

There's no doubt that having a caddy or using a cart on a long or hilly course can save you a lot of energy and could potentially save a stroke here or there.
Personally, at the end of a round on a hot day I will sometimes make mental mistakes that I would not make when I am fresh.

I don't see what the marketing angle would be for having someone caddy for him???

There's no doubt that having a caddy or using a cart on a long or hilly course can save you a lot of energy and could potentially save a stroke here or there.
Personally, at the end of a round on a hot day I will sometimes make mental mistakes that I would not make when I am fresh.

I call that the back nine.

Not the first time, and not the last:

https://www.frisbeegolfnews.fi/joon...ld-helps-caddy-paul-mcbeth-to-another-trophy/

This post pro coverage of this has been fun to watch. Great course, as has been mentioned. McBeth looking hungry & supple. I'm so glad there's a local on the mic not utterly massacreeing the Finnish names.

On the FPO side, Saarinen looks super legit. She's registered for EO and worlds too. Not to get too excited -- there's a lot to figure out to win a big tournament -- but her kind of balance tends to transfer between layouts pretty easily. Looking forward to see if she can build on what she's got going on right now.

Not the first time, and not the last:

https://www.frisbeegolfnews.fi/joon...ld-helps-caddy-paul-mcbeth-to-another-trophy/

This post pro coverage of this has been fun to watch. Great course, as has been mentioned. McBeth looking hungry & supple. I'm so glad there's a local on the mic not utterly massacreeing the Finnish names.

On the FPO side, Saarinen looks super legit. She's registered for EO and worlds too. Not to get too excited -- there's a lot to figure out to win a big tournament -- but her kind of balance tends to transfer between layouts pretty easily. Looking forward to see if she can build on what she's got going on right now.

100%.

The courses are stellar. Sweden appears to be a disc golfer dream—the courses we are seeing.

I will always be impressed by anyone that can converse in multiple languages. I assume Sweden is like much of Europe that is either dual language or even English as primary. Iirc, the Netherlands switched to English in the 99's.

Regardless, the courses on the EDGPT are amazing.

I watched some of the FPO stuff and yes, I think that Saarinen along with others may really help elevate F disc golf.

100%.

The courses are stellar. Sweden appears to be a disc golfer dream—the courses we are seeing.

I will always be impressed by anyone that can converse in multiple languages. I assume Sweden is like much of Europe that is either dual language or even English as primary. Iirc, the Netherlands switched to English in the 99's.

Regardless, the courses on the EDGPT are amazing.

I watched some of the FPO stuff and yes, I think that Saarinen along with others may really help elevate F disc golf.

Uh no, English isn't the primary language of any European country aside from UK and Ireland. English overtook German as the most spoken secondary language in Netherlands probably during the 90s.

Most of Northern and Western Europe has high levels of English proficiency and is the most spoken/understood secondary language throughout much of Europe. In some parts it's still German or Russian but that has been gradually changing since before the cold war ended.

When you can spend a few hours in a train or a car and arrive in a place where nobody speaks your language and the vast majority of media produced in the world isn't in your native tongue then you are extremely incentivized to learn a different language and have ample resources, often from a very young age, to study it.

Can you imagine if there were like 5-10 TV shows every year, 1-2 movies, no video games and 2 news stations that were in English? I'm pretty sure you'd learn Spanish right quick!

Too late to edit: I guess you could add Malta, like 90% of the people speak it as a first or second language, it's a co-primary language and all higher education is in English. But only like 10% speak it as a primary language.

Uh no, English isn't the primary language of any European country aside from UK and Ireland. English overtook German as the most spoken secondary language in Netherlands probably during the 90s.

Most of Northern and Western Europe has high levels of English proficiency and is the most spoken/understood secondary language throughout much of Europe. In some parts it's still German or Russian but that has been gradually changing since before the cold war ended.

When you can spend a few hours in a train or a car and arrive in a place where nobody speaks your language and the vast majority of media produced in the world isn't in your native tongue then you are extremely incentivized to learn a different language and have ample resources, often from a very young age, to study it.

Can you imagine if there were like 5-10 TV shows every year, 1-2 movies, no video games and 2 news stations that were in English? I'm pretty sure you'd learn Spanish right quick!

My bad. I visited Amsterdam in '93 and thought I remembered something about English being chosen as the official language. There was something—maybe education, ie in school.

Regardless, my point was appreciation for those that are multi-lingual as well as the amazing DG courses in Sweden we are seeing on coverage.

Aren't the commentators Finnish?

Probably. Just saying I appreciate what they do. They've obviously watched/studied a ton of US DG, to become comfortable with the types of phrasing we hear.

And the way the address an errant throw is kind of master of fact.

So Paul's putting seems to be dialed in. The announcers noted that his drives were a bit off, but he's killing it C1/C2 range. For EO, he would need to correct his drive issues.

I'm not sure that's true. Skelleftea isn't tight woods, but fairways are tree lined. Trees do things that OB lines don't. OB only cares about the end result.

Paul wins the EO.

Latest posts