• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SkittleBomb technique thread

Hey Guys... got my vids uploaded. Keep in mind, I am not a TV personality, I probably have a lot of "Ummmmm" moments, and I used the wide angle lens on the gopro for some reason. :hfive:

Last edited:
Completed dyes in daylight (still not picking up all of the color)

1618408_10101642875336846_8352405578784164648_n.jpg

This one was a redo... so it turned out to have lots of muddied greens

12744029_10101642875391736_7478804434855866737_n.jpg

12744288_10101642875431656_3165021707152997328_n.jpg

6886_10101642875466586_4538303320546218205_n.jpg

I will post pics of the other disc today. Just realized that it probably has too much pink in the red mix.... I might actually put some extra red on it while the other dye is on there. Just melt it down again.

Your discs look awesome... Except the last couple pics where it looks like you went disc diving in a sewage treatment plant. :sick:

Your discs look awesome... Except the last couple pics where it looks like you went disc diving in a sewage treatment plant. :sick:

You gotta want it....

Lard isn't exactly the best feeling on the hands either if you texture issues.

Bonus is... your star plastic will feel amazing afterwards... little bit more grippy.

I've never done any dyeing other than just plain color changes. If I get motivated, your technique is one that I would love to be able go approximate. With the video up, the only thing holding me back is me... And not having any more discs to dye.

I started mixing up some dyes tonight- I used shortening(crisco), lard wasn't available and shortening is pretty much vegetable based lard.

I also used rit dyemore instead of powder. Looks nice so far- I'll get it on the disc tomorrow.

I word of caution when heating the mixture for those who try- acetone's boiling point is super low, so even 10-15 seconds in the microwave will make it bubble over the container. On my second and third color, I melted the shortening a little bit first then added the rest of the ingredients, then mixed it and melted the rest of the way.

I started mixing up some dyes tonight- I used shortening(crisco), lard wasn't available and shortening is pretty much vegetable based lard.

I also used rit dyemore instead of powder. Looks nice so far- I'll get it on the disc tomorrow.

I word of caution when heating the mixture for those who try- acetone's boiling point is super low, so even 10-15 seconds in the microwave will make it bubble over the container. On my second and third color, I melted the shortening a little bit first then added the rest of the ingredients, then mixed it and melted the rest of the way.

yep.... you are totally right. my black bubbled over in the video... I apparently used too much. :wall:

I'm not sure of the consistency of your mixture, but I'd be wary of putting hot lard down the drain. When that cools, I'm assuming it's gonna stick in your drain.

I'm not sure of the consistency of your mixture, but I'd be wary of putting hot lard down the drain. When that cools, I'm assuming it's gonna stick in your drain.

Lots and lots of hot water... but yes you are completely right. If I really get back into this in the future, I will rig an outside open sink area like is used to clean fish. The water/mix will then just flow onto the ground.

Here's the finished product. I scraped the extra dye off with a rubber spatula into the trash so I didn't have a bunch of extra fat going down the drain. Little dish soap and a sponge took care of the little bit that was left.

http://i.imgur.com/X9qKDty.jpg

Yup.... you are going to get more of the "blob" look when you leave more of the mix on there. You will get more fine detail if you melt it down just a little more. Counter-intuitive I know. The spots on the disc with more dye will just show up more saturated looking.

Great first try! Thanks for posting!

Draining lard

Lots and lots of hot water... but yes you are completely right. If I really get back into this in the future, I will rig an outside open sink area like is used to clean fish. The water/mix will then just flow onto the ground.

No matter how much hot water you use.... that lard will cool down at some point in the drain system.

No matter how much hot water you use.... that lard will cool down at some point in the drain system.

Again... notating that you guys are correct... that it isn't a genius idea to have this much lard flowing down your drain on a consistent basis. If I were to continue doing this all of the time, I would build an outside, free standing sink.

The purpose of this thread is to expand upon the technique that I invented.

If you have criticisms, that's fair. If you have ways to improve the technique, that would be EVEN BETTER.

As far as using the spatula idea, that works. Another idea would be to use a bucket in the sink to catch the water... then throw the water/lard mix outside on the ground.

Have you ever done this on a champ-type disc?

I don't recall ever seeing you post any, but I bet it'd look sweet on a crystal clear disc.

Latest posts