• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Skyiron Flagship

jimbosprint

Double Eagle Member
So my Flagship (red, 177g) arrived over the weekend, courtesy of Skyiron Disc Golf. They are a new manufacturer from Columbus Ohio, and the disc is PDGA approved.

I have handed it to a few other players and the common response without throwing is that the feel and the plastic both seem nice. I have to agree it seems like a very good combination of grip and durability. Most similar to champion, but different for sure. It is super flat and the large diameter is noticable.

It's raining in Chico today, but I did get a couple throws in last night at Lava Creek after work. It definitely flies high speed understable, but has a decently strong fade that is late in the flight, like it stays at high speed spin for a long time. To me, it flies like a Katana should. And with it's smaller rim, it should be very popular with those that want a high speed driver that fits better in the hand.

Here is what I would give it for Joe's Flight Chart numbers:
Range: 5.5
HSS: -2.5
LSS: 3
Power: 5

Durability testing when I get a chance to play Chico. Sharp lava rocks everywhere.

261516_1769665411307_1529386056_31412090_3110738_n.jpg

Columbus Ohio is pretty close to me. This may be a good excuse to drive up there and play some different courses.

What innova rim size would you say it compares to? Looks a little beefy for me.

The rim is about the same as a Wraith. bigger than an Orc, smaller than a Destroyer.

Their site says Speed 11, glide 4, turn -3 and fade 2... Yeah, not really that interested.

178g ! They're available in 178g. So it's a large diameter max distance disc. Unusual, no? I wasn't interested either until I noticed that. So, either it's Buzz diameter and they're playing it safe the way Discraft does, or it's a little smaller. Maybe a touch larger diameter than the predator?

I hate to be mean, but the disc looks sort of shoddy even in the website pictures. The profile of the orange one looks pretty nice actually (I'd toss one to try it out for sure), but the blue one looks like it sat on someone's dashboard with books on it all afternoon, and the red one has some visible but less severe distortion in the flight plate. Has anyone felt one of these? Does "premium" mean approximately Star/ESP?

The first thing I thought when I saw it was Helios. I ordered one last night mostly because I suffer from DBD (disc buying disorder) and partly because I want to support Ohio disc golf.

I got mine in the mail today which was super fast shipping. The disc feels like a soft champ star mix and has a surface texture like someone rubbed the disc with steel wool. I think this very slight texture makes the disc kind of slick. The disc looks like it is supposed to have a dome but it didn't mold correctly. I took the Skyiron Flagship to the park along with some 169-172 pro Destroyers which are my distance discs of choice. After getting warmed up I was throwing the Destroyers between 395' and 425' but I couldn't do a whole lot the Flagship without it turning over and not coming back. I had a few shots that I released with a pretty strong hyzer that came up quickly turned over flatened out and faded a little at the end. I actually got a few shots out about 380' or so but it was a lot of work. The disc the Flagship reminds me of the most is a 150 class Helios. I'm going to give it to a friend of mine who maxes out at about 325' because I think the Flagship would work well for him.

Fizzy said:
I hate to be mean, but the disc looks sort of shoddy even in the website pictures. The profile of the orange one looks pretty nice actually (I'd toss one to try it out for sure), but the blue one looks like it sat on someone's dashboard with books on it all afternoon, and the red one has some visible but less severe distortion in the flight plate. Has anyone felt one of these? Does "premium" mean approximately Star/ESP?

The pics look so shoddy on the website because the guy tried to crop the discs by himself in some low-end program. Said he was finding a graphics guy soon. I would love to throw one of these but apparently the owner still has to get results from 'professionals' before he sends out any of the molds to retailers.

Just curious if anyone else has tried these yet or has any info to add.