• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slippery Teepads: The Solution?

Same here on all accounts, thats where I cut my teeth when I first started playing. With the same stuff being used under the pins you got some real bad skips off that stuff. Thankfully the course is all concrete tees now.

I pulled a hammy on a tee pad in the spring. That sucked.

I have mixed thoughts on the issue.

I slipped on a decent concrete tee pad because my shoes were wet and I didn't dry off the soles or check my traction. Anything grippy enough for that would suck under normal conditions. "Too much traction".

If it's raining, the tee is going to be wet. Unavoidable. Does put the responsibility on the player to compensate.

A groomed concrete surface is about the best compromise I guess.

Natural dirt does okay but rain = mud.

Just about any surface type can become slick if there is water.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 57366A05-40AB-4CBB-A58C-955BA2DB49E4.jpeg
    57366A05-40AB-4CBB-A58C-955BA2DB49E4.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 212
On the GKPro 2nd post pro coverage of FPO, they mentioned that DGPT had people out scrubbing and bleaching every tee pad at Brewster's between the first and second round. Slipping didn't seem to be a huge issue for the FPO even though it was full on raining.

Provided there is enough money coming in to DGPT, I wouldn't be surprised to see more resources going into a "forward team" that was helping to assess and prep courses before the tour got there. Things like improving tee pad conditions, having OB lines in place before practice rounds start, making sure baskets sit straight, etc.

Pressure wash & treat with mild bleach solution 2x/yr or before a tourney in humid climates.

It was really really humid on Thursday, which is when the men played brewster at the GMC some of the pads were more than sketchy. I'm not sure if it's so much that these teepads suck and need to be replaced or if they just didn't quite anticipate or prepare for the humidity. not usually that bad in VT

I think the best tee pads could be standardized in size and be made of a durable paver material that would tend to heat efficiently with sunlight exposure to melt snow and ice to a degree. These can be removed and rebedded when needed, or individual stones replaced if damaged.

Personally, I like to show up to the course with a rolled up 1800's Persian rug. It always makes me feel that much better than everyone else at the course when I'm teeing off on something worth more than their car.

Personally, I like to show up to the course with a rolled up 1800's Persian rug. It always makes me feel that much better than everyone else at the course when I'm teeing off on something worth more than their car.

I would, but I just can't fit one in my bag... :\

I have seen courses where the pads are so bad, the TD allowed players to tee off from next to the tee pad. I've seen Jomez practice round videos where they talk about tee pads not being level, having bumps or divots, or just plain slippery. Heck, watch enough of the tournament videos and you'll see pros slipping on tee pads (Kevin Jones ace for example).

One solution might be for the PDGA to regulate tee pads....they regulate baskets, why not tee pads? Well, the answer to that is "one size doesn't fit all". Concrete pads might be good in some places, but not others. What about 'pop-up' courses - especially those set up temporarily on a ball golf course? You can't put in concrete pads for a one weekend tournament. So, I really don't see the PDGA regulating tee pads.

I think it falls on the course "builder" and TDs to ensure tee pads are safe. They should also leave sufficient room to the sides of the tee pads (a no-man's land where signs, etc cannot be) in case a tee pad is deemed unsafe and players need to tee off from beside the tee pad. I also feel tee pads should be the same throughout the course; I've seen courses where they have a mix of tee pads - one hole might have a concrete tee pad and another have a rubber mat and even another have paving blocks.

Wasn't it at the SFO that the turf tees were too grippy and janked up Drew's ankle?

There could be a standard for temporary courses vs permanent courses. There could be a A/B/C level standard kind of like baskets too.

Making a rule is easy, implementing it is harder.

I have seen courses where the pads are so bad, the TD allowed players to tee off from next to the tee pad. I've seen Jomez practice round videos where they talk about tee pads not being level, having bumps or divots, or just plain slippery. Heck, watch enough of the tournament videos and you'll see pros slipping on tee pads (Kevin Jones ace for example).

One solution might be for the PDGA to regulate tee pads....they regulate baskets, why not tee pads? Well, the answer to that is "one size doesn't fit all". Concrete pads might be good in some places, but not others. What about 'pop-up' courses - especially those set up temporarily on a ball golf course? You can't put in concrete pads for a one weekend tournament. So, I really don't see the PDGA regulating tee pads.

I think it falls on the course "builder" and TDs to ensure tee pads are safe. They should also leave sufficient room to the sides of the tee pads (a no-man's land where signs, etc cannot be) in case a tee pad is deemed unsafe and players need to tee off from beside the tee pad. I also feel tee pads should be the same throughout the course; I've seen courses where they have a mix of tee pads - one hole might have a concrete tee pad and another have a rubber mat and even another have paving blocks.

I think it falls on the builder/owner to originally provide safe teepads, and some combination of TD and DGPT to make sure they're safe for tournament play

Safe tee pads as defined by Whom???

Uli? On bookface???

It awful easy for professionals and a tour making million to make demands off the backs of a bunch of volunteers. While rarely if ever making the same types of contributions.

Nah that falls under DGPT.

I don't think the PDGA rules designate the DGPT as having specific duties. It's TDs (which some could claim the DGPT is for their tournaments). Also, not every tournament is a DGPT one. So, PDGA could require course builders and TDs to ensure the tee pads are safe. Every tournament has a TD. The DGPT on its own, could/should follow-up to ensure tee pads are safe for tournaments they are including in their tour.

But regardless, even without a PDGA requirement/rule, the course builder should ensure the tee pads are safe for use. Then the TD should ensure they are still safe for their tournament.

Having safe tee pads should be common-sense....but, we know common-sense seems to be in low supply everywhere.

Safe tee pads as defined by Whom???

Uli? On bookface???

It awful easy for professionals and a tour making million to make demands off the backs of a bunch of volunteers. While rarely if ever making the same types of contributions.

By the builder and TDs. Go out and test them. Make sure they haven't deteriorated and that they remain safe to use. The club that runs a local course went out after a really bad rainstorm and pulled up some of their rubber mat tee pads to rebuild the pads. The rain and regular usage had worn them down so that the ground under the mat was no longer level. Concrete pads are harder to repair/replace....but if the course has chosen to go that way, they need to plan for what happens when the pads become dangerous.

But I'm not a course builder nor a TD, but I have helped maintain a course. It's hard work, but when the rounds are played...the effort has paid off.

Latest posts