• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slippery teepads

I was watching tourney coverage and noticed that Nikko and Brinster put a towel (or something) on the pad where they planted. Does anyone use this technique? Are there rules for what you can put on the teepad for grip?

I was watching tourney coverage and noticed that Nikko and Brinster put a towel (or something) on the pad where they planted. Does anyone use this technique? Are there rules for what you can put on the teepad for grip?

From the PDGA Q&A:

QA 30: Unplayable or Unsafe Tees
Q:
What can I do about an unplayable, unsafe, or poorly marked tee?

A:
If the problem with the tee is a casual obstacle that cannot be easily removed (such as standing water), you can take casual relief up to 5m behind the tee. No relief is provided for other adverse tee conditions, though you can place a towel down to provide traction if the tee is slippery. If you're desperate, you can use the Optional Relief rule to move back along the line of play as far as you like, at the cost of one penalty throw. If the tee is poorly marked, locate an official or a local player in other groups if possible to help identify the tee area boundaries. Applicable Rules: 803.01 Obstacles and Relief; 801.03 Artificial Devices.

I use a towel, and they work wonders. You have to be consistent enough to plant on the towel without having to think about it though, otherwise you'll either get thrown off trying to get your plant foot in the right place or miss the towel completely.

In the winter before we starting throwing we shovel and salt the tee pads. It sucks to do but it definitely helps.

I carry a heel cleat in my bag so that if I have to play off of rubber, turf, natural, teepads Ican still get a little bit of grip and have a bit more confidence.

OT, but feel free to hit me up if either of you is looking for someone to play a round with, I like meeting folks from here. :)

I played Mountain Pride last Sunday and semi-dog leg left - tunnel approach on hole 4 was an awesome improvement.

Well done and let me know when you guys are ready for some concrete. I can still get rejected loads for $2 min in truck time.

I played Mountain Pride last Sunday and semi-dog leg left - tunnel approach on hole 4 was an awesome improvement.

Well done and let me know when you guys are ready for some concrete. I can still get rejected loads for $2 min in truck time.

I like deep pin position of that hole, but it feels like a par 4 to me. That might just be cause I suck though.

I like deep pin position of that hole, but it feels like a par 4 to me. That might just be cause I suck though.

It's a neat idea, but both of the long pin positions are bad hole design for the advanced level players the long tees are designed for. They make an ok par 4 for rec/int level players, but for higher level players they're tweeners. It's pretty easy to get a 3 and almost impossible to get a 2 so they don't provide interesting scoring separation. A few holes on that course suffer from that issue, hole 8 in the long is the same way as is 14 from the long tee.

I didn't bother to walk it out and threw from the long tee to very near the previous (now short?) pin position and had a nice approach shot down the tunnel. I took a drop in 3 but liked the idea. We don't have enough long tunnel shots in this area.

So...Hornets nest and Renny in Charlotte are starting to get slippery. The high points are polished down. Is there anything you can do to make concrete teepads less slippery. Has anyone ever cut diamonds with a concrete saw into teepads before?

Are there any other options?

So...Hornets nest and Renny in Charlotte are starting to get slippery. The high points are polished down. Is there anything you can do to make concrete teepads less slippery. Has anyone ever cut diamonds with a concrete saw into teepads before?

Are there any other options?

Morley Field in San Diego put down nice rubber pads, and spiked them right into the concrete on some holes where the concrete got polished slick. It actually works really well, the concrete provides a nice flat firm base and the rubber gives you good grip without worrying about having to prep the dirt beneath.

Busted my ass yesterday on a slick teepad. Just put my plant foot down and out it went. It wasn't even a long hole but it requires a good hyzer.

Any suggestions to improve the Grip on them? It's concrete but it's started to get polished from lots of use. They've been there for almost three years.

Not looking for rubber because the teepads are all covered by vegetation so they will pack in fast.

We had a local B tier this past weekend & it rained both days. I used a towel for every tee shot the first 2 rounds, few bucks from Wal-Mart & I didn't have to worry about killing myself

Busted my ass yesterday on a slick teepad. Just put my plant foot down and out it went. It wasn't even a long hole but it requires a good hyzer.

Any suggestions to improve the Grip on them? It's concrete but it's started to get polished from lots of use. They've been there for almost three years.

There are concrete paints and sealers that either come with or can have added to them grit to make a grippier surface. Just do a search for non-slip paints or grit additives like this one at Home Depot.

In the winter before we starting throwing we shovel and salt the tee pads. It sucks to do but it definitely helps.

Totally worth it!! :hfive:

Playing from a teepad without removing the snow will pack the snow and it'll turn to solid ice after an overnight freeze. That makes the teepad unplayable for everybody else, for the next few days if not the rest of the season. :wall:

Every group that plays in snowy conditions should carry along a shovel or broom. High score on the previous hole clears the next teepad. :)

Lol. My winter worry is sleeveless vest for range of motion freedom and core warmth or thin long sleeve for arm warmth.