• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snakes on the course!

Saw a 5' black rat snake off tee #3 saturday at the Rockburn Rumble. It was big and aggressive and some guy playing basketball chased it and picked it up while it was striking at him. Crazy. One guy on my card was freaking out when the snake was striking at the basketball guy, it was funny.

Saw a 5' black rat snake off tee #3 saturday at the Rockburn Rumble. It was big and aggressive and some guy playing basketball chased it and picked it up while it was striking at him. Crazy. One guy on my card was freaking out when the snake was striking at the basketball guy, it was funny.

Was that guy who picked up the snake, drunk?:eek:

I have never really been afraid of snakes but then we are in Critterville and I grew up hanging out in the woods, hunting... and spending summers on cattle / rice farms in my youth.

It is fairly easy to catch a snake. The trick is to not let it bite you.

:^/

I was never afraid of snakes in till I had a Copper Head coming right at me as I was walking from one hole to the next. After that , all bets are off.

Was playing at the Westminster, CO course, just walking along the river. All of a sudden I spot the biggest wild snake I've seen in my life, a Bullsnake. It was about five feet long with green and yellow. Needless to say it scared the **** out of me. I just kept a distance and played through...

Last year, while playing Bird's Nest in Arvada, CO I almost stepped right on a Western Hognose lying deep in some grass... I about jumped right out of my shoes!!:eek:

needless to say, i have since worn only good shoes and pants to these courses, for my own piece of mind. Even though neither of these species is really dangerous to humans, they still creep me out!

Was playing at the Westminster, CO course, just walking along the river. All of a sudden I spot the biggest wild snake I've seen in my life, a Bullsnake. It was about five feet long with green and yellow. Needless to say it scared the **** out of me. I just kept a distance and played through...

Last year, while playing Bird's Nest in Arvada, CO I almost stepped right on a Western Hognose lying deep in some grass... I about jumped right out of my shoes!!:eek:

needless to say, i have since worn only good shoes and pants to these courses, for my own piece of mind. Even though neither of these species is really dangerous to humans, they still creep me out!

Sounds like at this course you need some of those motorcycle boots like the motorcycle cops wear.

wow those are all some pretty crazy stories. I guess I never really thought about having to deal with poisonous snakes on a course, living in MN and all. One time though, I was playing lakewood hills and at hole number 12, I saw a cute little garder snake on the tee so I picked it up and put it in the woods.

What would you do???:eek:
snake.jpg

i would FREAK THE ---- OUT!!:eek:

I have lived in Virginia since 1969, and had never seen a copperhead. In a period of 6 months I saw 2.

The first time was at Paw Paw WV. On a group workday Gabi (proprietor) called to her husband..."Spencer there's a snake up here, I think it's a copperhead" 4 of us rushed up to the spot, but couldn't find it. Suddenly 1 guy said "there it is" MAN it was right where we were looking about 5 feet away. It was motionless and obviously blends in very well with its surroundings.

Later that year I saw my second copperhead at Loriella Park in Spotsylvania Va. We were playing Sunday doubles and walking to the short tee of the pond hole. The long tee is in direct line with the short tee, which you walk over. The copperhead was laying on the long tee. Luckily one us saw it. The tee is covered in brown carpet, so the snake was not easy to see.

Snakes play an important role in the environment, and you generally should not kill them. Both of these copperheads were dispatched because of their proximity to where people are. It is important to identify your local snakes, and distinguish the poisonous from non poisonous. Leave the non poisonous alone.

Snakes play an important role in the environment, and you generally should not kill them. Both of these copperheads were dispatched because of their proximity to where people are. It is important to identify your local snakes, and distinguish the poisonous from non poisonous. Leave the non poisonous alone.

Well stated.... fear is a funny thing... education is the key.

I did recently see a snake (not sure what kind... tan body, whiteish-yellow stripe down 1/3 of its back, 4-5 ft long) @ Cactus Patch DGC in Austin, TX. It was my 1st time to play out there and I was alone. I did ask a fellow golfer b4 I started, who I saw leaving, about the course and he proceeded to tell me that he almost stepped on two diff snakes during his round and quit early b/c of the snakes. Needless to say, I was a somewhat paranoid, which is a little out of character for me... probably had to do w/ me being alone and never playing there before.... also this course is behind a church and the last thing I wanted was to be bitten behind a church (the church is where most of this fear of snakes seems to have originated)

Cactus Patch DGC has plenty of prime habitat for snakes... more than any other course that I've played at.... do keep your eyes out and try not to play out there alone. For the most part, snakes are far more afraid of us than we are of them. Water moccasins are somewhat of a diff story. They seem to be far more territorial than most other snakes.

We were out pouring concrete on the course last weekend, and after we were done and admiring our handywork, we had about a 3 foot black snake come whipping across one of the new pads. Thought for sure he would have left a little swirl mark in the fresh concrete- but it was already set up - so no evidence left behind.

I'm going to start carrying a camera with me so I can snap some shots of the next snake I see. It seems to be the time of the year that they are out in the open more. Just yesterday a buddy of mine said there was a 4 foot black snake on the drive into the park and he had to shew it off so that it didn't get run over. (I would have ran it over, especially since he said he thought it was a moccosin.

So you're saying I should rethink my philosophy that the only good snake is a dead snake?
Actually, in all seriousness, I would really only kill a snake if I thought it was poisonous and it was near where people are normally at.

all poisonous snakes(in north america anyway) have a triangular head and cats eyes...non poisionous have a rounded head and rounded eyes...copperheads are the scariest because they are kinda sluggish and blend in well..most snakes are more scared of you than you are of it...excpet for a water moccasin...these guys will chase you, your boat...whatever..snakes eat rodents and other pests so i let em live...unless they are poisonous and pose a threat..not unusual to run into 6-8" balck snakeds in the south...saw 2 mating in florida playing golf

Saw 2 yesterday, one at Audobon and one at Rockwall. Both were probably 4 foot and very very very fast. I kill them if they are bad snakes because I dont want someone else to walk on them