• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, if you use a TL to develop FH throw technique then...

once a TL breaks in it will no longer be a good tool for control shots because it will flip over and break left. Teebird was a good call on your part

I have been working on my forehand alot lately and I agree the TeeBird and Firebird are your best choices to begin with. Definitely use an overstable disc as flicks tend to stay understable longer. In fact Ive seen Monsters S out on forehand shots easy.

I also agree with the Teebird, but in my experience even it is a little too flippy to really crank a FH with. I flick a Teebird for straight and slight turnover shots, but something more stable if I need a little more power or more fade at the end.

And don't be tempted to learn to flick with that flick, it will not be fun.

I also agree with the Teebird, but in my experience even it is a little too flippy to really crank a FH with. I flick a Teebird for straight and slight turnover shots, but something more stable if I need a little more power or more fade at the end.

And don't be tempted to learn to flick with that flick, it will not be fun.

Closest thing that flick is going to see of a FH shot is a Tommy at a 45, maybe not even that close.

So if something is really hot do you cool it to warm it?

overstable----------0----stable-----------understable

the 0 represents an overstable disc , lets say a teebird . Now if i say i want something more stable which direction would the 0 go.:rolleyes:

Think of it this way could something that is perfectly stable become more stable?

Last edited:
Yes depending on what your definition of warm is.

the 0 represents an overstable disc , lets say a teebird . Now if i say i want something more stable which direction would the 0 go.:rolleyes:

I always thought that 0 was always stable and only things at perfect 0 would be stable, which is nothing right? If you are looking at both HSS and LSS then one way or the other, its in one direction?

I look at it actually as not being a stable in the middle:

Overstable <..+5..+4..+3..+2..+1..0..-1..-2..-3..-4..-5..> Understable

Therefore, more stable would be to the left, less stable to the right.

Think of it this way could something that is perfectly stable become more stable?
The 0 represents a disc not zero , the word stable represents stable.

We could just make it easy on everyone and not say more or less stable but rather more or less overstable/understable.

Would that end the confusion?

overstable----------*----stable-----------understable

the * represents an overstable disc , lets say a teebird . Now if i say i want something more stable which direction would the * go.:rolleyes:

there for people that cant understand a key.:rolleyes::)

I wasn't actually confused to begin with, sometimes I just like to mess with people a little bit. They say "Play devil's advocate," but let's face it when you say that you're basically just giving yourself an excuse to f--k with people a little.

I usually go by the same standard as technohic, and I think most people do, but I will start just saying overstable or understable to avoid confusion.

I wasn't actually confused to begin with, sometimes I just like to mess with people a little bit. They say "Play devil's advocate," but let's face it when you say that you're basically just giving yourself an excuse to f--k with people a little.

I usually go by the same standard as technohic, and I think most people do, but I will start just saying overstable or understable to avoid confusion.
To be honest i knew what he meant , but thats not the point:). And that thing you said about making hot stuff warm was actually a good question, and yes

We could just make it easy on everyone and not say more or less stable but rather more or less overstable/understable.

Would that end the confusion?

I'm gonna start calling it Hyper and hypostable just to make it harder on everyone.

I got my Teebird today, cant wait to try it out this weekend. I did have some luck last weekend with my 150 class R-Pro boss and this week, during the week I got to throw a few other discs in the back yard, so not real hard, was just trying to get the feel.

I kept my elbow in and just flicked it instead of trying to get my full arm moving and had luck tossing the wraith, which was still a bit overstable, just not rediculously so; an Eagle and a Roc, which had just flipped over left on me before but they actually just held a good slight anny line.

My lawyers will be contacting you about copyright infringement with the stabilityometer (patent pending).

I will offer this though, the clever addition of the 0 or * will warrant some consideration on my part....how about a 5% share in the company?

My lawyers will be contacting you about copyright infringement with the stabilityometer (patent pending).

I will offer this though, the clever addition of the 0 or * will warrant some consideration on my part....how about a 5% share in the company?
you can keep it , it only seems to work on people who already understand what it means. And it was a parody for comedic purposes only so you cant sue;) so SOT:)

you are right on target baby !

alrighty then - let the 50 year old noob weigh in...

i've had a "frisbee" in my hands since time began -

golf disc?

i just started playing 90 days ago.

in case you don't know, golf discs don't fly like frisbees - (insert laughter)
i found out the hard way -
it took me 3 weeks of dedication to sort it out -
and i about killed my body during that time trying to "muscle" shots...

have always thrown backhand exclusively -
when i tried forehand - it sucked.

then about 6 weeks ago i came down with the flu -
i was too weak to do much of anything but lie around.
but of course i was hooked on daily throwing by this time.
and even though i was REALLY feeling bad, i grabbed my discs and headed to a field i frequent.
when i got there and got ready to throw some shots -
i realized i just didn't have the strength to do it.
(to put anything on my shots anyway)
so i just stood there and flung the discs basically "arm only" - backhand.
it was not good.
under those current conditions, i thought maybe forehand might be the answer. (if i was just going to stand there and flick my shots.)
well, i think because i was so weak - and couldn't put any "arm" into my shots -
all of the sudden: MAGIC ! my forearm flicks went sailing right out!
i was using only my wrist action to fling them and it was working...

after i recovered, i went back out and practiced more forehand -
this time with a little step in and some gusto -
and found that my forehand shots were much superior to my lifelong backhands.

OK, let's finally get on subject.

i throw wraiths and beasts forehand. from the teebox that is.

from that point on, if i can't reach the basket with my Rhyno -
it's a no-brainer - out comes the TL...

the TL might be the only non-putter golf disc that behaves "frisbee-like".
straight as an arrow flight thrown flat - hyzer swoosh if you tilt its edge.
it's a beautiful thing to someone with a frisbee background.
it works best for me when the distance i am trying to cover requires around a 50% - 75% snap on it.
to full out "honk" on it, it's still a trooper, but try the back off method.

forehand from 150 ft. out - it's a laser beam.
i've flicked 3 approaches in the last month that held the line and drained the chains.
i agree with the previous poster who said learning to throw a TL will only pay dividends as you work on your forehand.
as well as when you try out other discs in the future.

anyway, i'm no expert, and i've got a long way to go -
but i thought my "experiences" might shed some light on your question.

although others may have "preferences" as to what disc they throw forehand -
i think you are spot-on in your choice of the TL for developing your forehand.

alrighty then - let the 50 year old noob weigh in...

i've had a "frisbee" in my hands since time began -

golf disc?

i just started playing 90 days ago.

in case you don't know, golf discs don't fly like frisbees - (insert laughter)
i found out the hard way -
it took me 3 weeks of dedication to sort it out -
and i about killed my body during that time trying to "muscle" shots...

have always thrown backhand exclusively -
when i tried forehand - it sucked.

then about 6 weeks ago i came down with the flu -
i was too weak to do much of anything but lie around.
but of course i was hooked on daily throwing by this time.
and even though i was REALLY feeling bad, i grabbed my discs and headed to a field i frequent.
when i got there and got ready to throw some shots -
i realized i just didn't have the strength to do it.
(to put anything on my shots anyway)
so i just stood there and flung the discs basically "arm only" - backhand.
it was not good.
under those current conditions, i thought maybe forehand might be the answer. (if i was just going to stand there and flick my shots.)
well, i think because i was so weak - and couldn't put any "arm" into my shots -
all of the sudden: MAGIC ! my forearm flicks went sailing right out!
i was using only my wrist action to fling them and it was working...

after i recovered, i went back out and practiced more forehand -
this time with a little step in and some gusto -
and found that my forehand shots were much superior to my lifelong backhands.

OK, let's finally get on subject.

i throw wraiths and beasts forehand. from the teebox that is.

from that point on, if i can't reach the basket with my Rhyno -
it's a no-brainer - out comes the TL...

the TL might be the only non-putter golf disc that behaves "frisbee-like".
straight as an arrow flight thrown flat - hyzer swoosh if you tilt its edge.
it's a beautiful thing to someone with a frisbee background.
it works best for me when the distance i am trying to cover requires around a 50% - 75% snap on it.
to full out "honk" on it, it's still a trooper, but try the back off method.

forehand from 150 ft. out - it's a laser beam.
i've flicked 3 approaches in the last month that held the line and drained the chains.
i agree with the previous poster who said learning to throw a TL will only pay dividends as you work on your forehand.
as well as when you try out other discs in the future.

anyway, i'm no expert, and i've got a long way to go -
but i thought my "experiences" might shed some light on your question.

although others may have "preferences" as to what disc they throw forehand -
i think you are spot-on in your choice of the TL for developing your forehand.

Thast good stuff actually. I have a regular teebird I have been practicing with sinceI got it but I definately will give my TL a try for my approaches.

Plan on playing at least 2 rounds this weekend.

The first one, I am going to try to play almost entirely forehand as that is how I learned BH and figure Im not going to get anywhere if I dont dedicate to it. Should be interesting as I am going to have to learn to finess some understable discs like the Roadrunner and Kite for left curves, just as I would BH them for right curves.

Then the 2nd round, I am going to try to use both FH and BH equally when the shots call for it, as that is the approach I am going to want to take on all my rounds.