• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So that just happened... (Shawnee Mission, KC)

Greg Layton

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Here's hole six at Shawnee Mission Park in in the Kansas City suburbs:

7928ac1b.jpg

Notice the power line above the hole? Good. Now here's hole six after I threw my Gregg Hosfeld Champion TL this morning:

Photo%2520Jun%252002%252C%252012%252049%252035%2520PM.jpg

At this point I stood on the pad and stared in disbelief for about 30 seconds.

Photo%2520Jun%252002%252C%252011%252056%252002%2520AM.jpg

As you can see, the disc is completely wedged between the electric wires. No amount of baseballs or gatorade bottles were going to get this down. At first I considered offering a reward on here for anyone who could get the disc down, and then I realized that since it's in a power line that I might be able to get some help from the parks department. Sure enough, I happened to catch a couple of old boys back at the office who were sitting in their truck.

Photo%2520Jun%252002%252C%25201%252002%252012%2520PM.jpg

Yes, he's standing on the back of a truck sticking a rake into a power line. Didn't seem especially smart to me, but I wasn't going to complain. After snagging it with the rake and pulling on it for about 15 seconds it finally came out, no worse for the wear.

Photo%2520Jun%252002%252C%25201%252004%252046%2520PM.jpg

It actually happens more than you would think. I've seen it several times in the pic thread.

It actually happens more than you would think. I've seen it several times in the pic thread.

Well, I certainly hope I never see it happen again. I know I shouldn't get sentimental about discs, but I've thrown that TL a whole bunch in the past five years. Felt sick about possibly having to walk away from it.

Ha...awesome.

He was fine and safe getting it down that way. The rake handle and the truck tires give him double protection against grounding.

i like the action pics

Ha...awesome.

He was fine and safe getting it down that way. The rake handle and the truck tires give him double protection against grounding.

i know that a car does ground you against things like lightning and downed powerlines...

but seriously, that takes balls. or lack of common sense. either or. i've meet people with both.

car tires may ground but there are unforeseen circumstances that can still cause you to get fried.

i'd suggest getting a lightning bolt or electric eel on the disc....just so the disc can tell the story for years to come.

i know that a car does ground you against things like lightning and downed powerlines...

but seriously, that takes balls. or lack of common sense. either or. i've meet people with both.

car tires may ground but there are unforeseen circumstances that can still cause you to get fried.

It just takes physics knowledge and trust in your teachers :)

If taking a disc from a line that way takes balls, then it's just overcoming the fear of the unknown. Once you know a little, balls cease to be involved. Yeah, I suppose freak things can occur, but it's not exactly risky. We once found a canada goose missing an eyeball and part of a foot...after the power to a warehouse got zapped. The only thing we could figure was that, as geese sometimes do, he did a barrel roll kind of thing while passing through the wires and managed to touch both of them with opposing wingtips....bzzzzt. Freak occurrence. Humans, hopefully having a little more knowledge of the system they're working with, can be safe...and this guy was safe. Tool handles aren't total insurance, but between that and the car tires he was fine. Now, had he been standing on the ground it would have been just slightly more risky in case some freak thing happened, because shoe soles are not enough to protect from that voltage and the rake handle may or may not stop it, depending on its construction and material. Say, a spider monkey runs out on the wire, steps on the rake head while grabbing the upper wire for support. Then both of them are getting fried, and the disc will probably take on a new shape, too. :)

That is pretty remarkable. I've played that course hundreds of times and never even hit that power line. By your use of the TL I take it the basket is in the shorter position again. Good.

Saw this happen to Steve rico in a tourney.

that's the lowest line on the power pole, it's most likely low voltage cable TV transmittal line. You probably coulda grabbed that with your hand soaking wet and shoe-less.

that's the lowest line on the power pole, it's most likely low voltage cable TV transmittal line. You probably coulda grabbed that with your hand soaking wet and shoe-less.

^this

that was the cable line and/or telephone cable, most high voltage lines are stranded aluminum that are uncovered, they aren't twisted where you can get a disc stuck in between. The ones above it that are high voltage have to have insulators when they reach the post and not just tensioner wires. He was safe there.

I've seen many a disc stuck in lines (especially hole #5 at Oak grove) but ive only actually seen it happen one time. You got lucky that those good ole boys were sittin around doin nuthin

Kansas looks incredible...especially after seeing the KC Wide Open, wild disc disc golf up there!

Latest posts