• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] So you throw "control" drivers?

I bag Eagles (FW drivers), PDs (control drivers) and Giants/Kings (DDs). My PDs are dual purpose though because they become my distance drivers if my timing is off and my go-tos for most FH duties. If I didn't sidearm my number of drivers would shrink by a third or so.

I have been throwing a lot of Orcs recently. I tend to throw them because they have just the right amount of stability to handle my ~350' FH power. If I could find something else that has similar flight characteristics but was faster, I would probably jump up for the extra distance, but everything I have tried doesn't quite have the right combination of torque resistance, hyzer-flip potential and consistency.

For backhand, I don't really throw hard enough to get much extra distance from faster discs. I carry two Destroyers out of habit, but I would probably be a better golfer if I just took them out.

I throw the Ahti/Firebird in this class a lot. I use them for FH drives usually in the 330-375 range but can throw them over 400 if I want to. Usually I'll move to a DD after 400 ft though, it's easier to get that distance without trying as hard.

Also use the for doglegs and skip shots Bh up to 350.

I also carry the Stag, but it's only an 8. It can bomb though, I've hit low 400 a few times and can hyzerflip to 375 with ease and accuracy.

I used to carry Wtaiths and Jun/Napalm, but I can make a Stag or Teebird go almost as far as those so I don't bag them anymore.

Those are Nate Sexton type distances. I am guessing you putt like Lamar Maughn otherwise you would be on tour.

I throw Thunderbirds, but mostly they're just fairway drivers to me. They don't go that much further than a worked in Teebird (maybe 350ish for me), but they do get more fade than my Teebirds so I bag both on occasion depending on the type of shots a course calls for. I can make Thunderbirds go almost as far as my distance drivers if I really crank on them or throw a big flex line, but then I'm losing accuracy so I might as well throw a distance driver. I'm definitely more accurate throwing a Destroyer 400 feet than trying to rip a Thunderbird 400 feet, so the Destroyer is the better choice at that distance for me. If I need a 350 foot anny that doesn't fade out too soon I'm reaching for a Teebird. So it really does depend on the line I need as much as it does the distance.

Those are Nate Sexton type distances. I am guessing you putt like Lamar Maughn otherwise you would be on tour.

I wouldn't make any assumptions about someone's game just because they aren't on tour. Not everybody has any desire to tour or play DG as a profession. I've also played with a lot of guys who can bomb discs 450-500 feet, but still play MA1 or MA2 because they don't have consistency. It's not just putting, it's consistency across your entire game that holds a lot of people back from playing in the upper divisions. Plenty of people in the am divisions have played 1000+ rated rounds, but the reason they're still rated 940 or whatever is because they can't do it consistently.

I wouldn't make any assumptions about someone's game just because they aren't on tour. Not everybody has any desire to tour or play DG as a profession. I've also played with a lot of guys who can bomb discs 450-500 feet, but still play MA1 or MA2 because they don't have consistency. It's not just putting, it's consistency across your entire game that holds a lot of people back from playing in the upper divisions. Plenty of people in the am divisions have played 1000+ rated rounds, but the reason they're still rated 940 or whatever is because they can't do it consistently.

Just joking with him, he could probably beat me with his left hand.

My game is a lot like Nate's, but with putts like Will on a bad day.

I can hang with mid level pro guys. I've played with a few and beat some but it's more inconsistentcies and not being able to play every day that hold me back.

I'm similar to hugheshilton. The speed 9 class is kind of like a fairway driver for me, although I definitely feel the difference in it being faster and kind of a separate thing as "control driver" category. They are faster and such, but don't need as much power as distance drivers and don't have the same low speed fade as the wide rim stuff inherently has.

I bag a Thunderbird, Felon, and Firebird in addition to speed 7 stuff like a Teebird/FD. The Thunderbird is like an OS Teebird to me, but its extra speed gets me in that 350' range flat like a Teebird does for me quite easily, but with more fade and great wind resistance. If I threw a Teebird of similar stability it would cost me 20' or so, so I disc up to the Thunderbird to get the same distance range as the speed 7 more neutral stuff. The Felon is then more beefy and down to 330ish flat throw, and Firebird 315'ish. Firebird is a Firebird so it's necessary even though there's a big distance loss. Basically my point is I'm not gaining any distance or getting a gap between my fairways to control to distance drivers, I'm just using it to balance extra stability with extra speed so I can hit the more OS lines in similar to my fairway range.

I've always been able to throw distance drivers farther and easier than control driver class. I think the only time they would close in for me is if I were throwing speed 9 less stable stuff like Sidewinders/Valks, or maybe Escapes although I haven't thrown those enough. But at that point I'm more throwing slow distance drivers rather than control drivers...because once I'm getting that much turn and that much glide I'm losing the control factor. I'd rather smash on a more stable speed 12 disc to land in the same place with more wind resistance.

I'm currently bagging nothing above speed nine. The main reason is to focus on form. I have noticed however that I m am throwing my speed nine drivers out to 300'+(350' on a great rip). A little background: I've been playing for a year now, and I feel like hitting 300' is great for me. Also most of the holes I play are between, 250'-400' with the exception of a couple of 5-600' jobbies in the mix. So why do I really need anything else?? When I get my form better I'll get the high speed stuff back it and I'm sure I'll have a use for those drivers then but I'm not putting anything in my bag that I can't get the full potential out of.

Hey all! I am curious to see what people's opinions are about "control" drivers. Those 9ish speed discs such as thunderbirds, PDs, culverins, etc.

I know a lot of people don't throw faster than these and use them for distance, but I am curious about those people that do throw faster (speed 12 and up) drivers as well.

Do you bag control drivers? Why or why not?

What do y'all think about "control" speed drivers?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Yes it is a Valkyrie 2009 Ice Bowl Star one as well as a newer Champion glow one both 171 grams and then for control on fairway and the odd between a fairway driver and a midrange, Impact both about 172 grams. I try to stay between 170-172 grams for anything speed 10 or slower and are not beefy, then I go for a upper 160's like 167 to 170 grams for my discs. Xl is my slow Orc like disc in both ESP and Z.

Started playing around in 2004. After only playing a couple of years I found my bag going from mids (Rocs) to Wraiths & Monsters with nothing in between. Stayed that way for years. Really delayed my progress. 4-5 years back I forced myself to throw a speed 12 combo (Destroyers/Terns) but never saw any distance gain from my Wraiths.

My main distance driver setup now is FD3-Thunderbird-Valkyrie. I will add a Wraith if the course calls for it. Usually for wide open FH bombs. I get so much more control and consistency from the speed 9's. My next two B-Tier's will cover 3 courses total and there is only 1 hole out of the 54 where I'll use the Wraith (distance driver) off the tee.

Control and consistency are the reasons here. I think a lot of players don't gain any actual distance from throwing 'distance' drivers over 'control' too. Up to the individual really. I've got plenty of strength and am athletic but a lot of it comes down to slow twitch vs fast twitch muscles as well. Can your body fire fast enough to get those warp speeds going?

I think speed 9-10 drivers are the best and highly recommend them.

I started in late 2003 then for real in 2004, The Valkyrie was one of the faster discs at the time besides the Orc a and Wrath and I saw more Avengers outside my area (sports shop in 2005 only sold Innova) in the 2000's and the distance driver until the Destroyer and other brands fast discs came out past speed 10. I was using a Valkyrie after a year of playing with just a Lighting Rubber Putter.

Hey all! I am curious to see what people's opinions are about "control" drivers. Those 9ish speed discs such as thunderbirds, PDs, culverins, etc.

I know a lot of people don't throw faster than these and use them for distance, but I am curious about those people that do throw faster (speed 12 and up) drivers as well.

Do you bag control drivers? Why or why not?

What do y'all think about "control" speed drivers?

I <3 Control drivers! With ~325' of power, the Escape and Fortress are enough disc for me. I also have runty fingers, so rim width greater than 2.0 cm starts to feel bulky and uncomfortable...

True, and adding to it: if one can throw 500 ft., but can't pipe a Nova straight down Peachtree between two lines of jail-like trees like Paul McBeth can, then top pro level may remain beyond reach...

I'm currently bagging nothing above speed nine. The main reason is to focus on form. I have noticed however that I m am throwing my speed nine drivers out to 300'+(350' on a great rip). A little background: I've been playing for a year now, and I feel like hitting 300' is great for me. Also most of the holes I play are between, 250'-400' with the exception of a couple of 5-600' jobbies in the mix. So why do I really need anything else?? When I get my form better I'll get the high speed stuff back it and I'm sure I'll have a use for those drivers then but I'm not putting anything in my bag that I can't get the full potential out of.

I remember reading some time ago about someone whose bag was a lot like yours, but he carried one (1) high speed driver (I think it was a Tern, but not sure), and used it only on those very long 600 ft. + open holes like you're describing. When you're ready, you might want to ease in a high speed driver for the big distance holes, also.

I remember reading some time ago about someone whose bag was a lot like yours, but he carried one (1) high speed driver (I think it was a Tern, but not sure), and used it only on those very long 600 ft. + open holes like you're describing. When you're ready, you might want to ease in a high speed driver for the big distance holes, also.

Sometimes I carry a thrasher with me. And I plan on adding the high speed drivers. I figure when I'm putting the speed nine drivers out about 400' with consistency and accuracy, then some 10-11's, 12's cancel go in full time. Like I said before if I can utilize it fully then I shouldn't have it in the bag. This is just what's working for me though as we all know to each their own.

2.0 or less rim width allows me to throw with a 3 finger power grip, which = much better control.

Wider than that needs 4 fingers, much more prone to griplock, early release, etc.

Yeah, like control drivers.

Same I only have the Speed 12 Destroyer in my bag right now. I just will never really generate the speed to use more Max distance discs, small size and just not built for that.

I have teebirds and destroyers in my bag as my main drivers, but I do have 2 PDs in there as well. I can get my destroyers out to 400 pretty consistently. I use the PDs for a few reasons but they main times they come out is when there is a shot I would want to throw a teebird, but I have a headwind or there is a distance shot I need to throw, but a little more control is necessary. The PDs don't come out too often, but I am glad they are there when I need them. I also use them for forehands quite a bit. I have thought about putting a sexton firebird in my bag, but I feel like it isn't going to do anything my PDs can't already handle.

Last edited:

Latest posts