• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SoCal "MUST PLAY" Courses

james pearson

I have never played anywhere in California and am visiting from Daegu South Korea and am trying to schedule my visit. Here is my current thoughts for my DG vacation. Any suggestions for MUST PLAY courses would be greatly appreciated:

Fri 7/19 - Oak Grove in Pasadena
-- Spending time with my wife until 7/26
Fri 7/26 - Coyote Point, (then driving up to Waller Park)
Sat 7/27 - Santa Maria Open at Waller Park
Sun 7/28 - Santa Maria Open (then driving up to Watsonville)
Mon 7/29 - Delavega & Pinto Lake
Tue 7/30 - (not sure yet): CSUMB, Ryan Ranch, Heilmann Park, Perry Championship, (BEST Suggestions???)
Wed 7/31 - Sky High in the morning, maybe Sylmar Veterans in the evening, (BEST Suggestions???)
Thur 8/1 - La Mirada in the morning, maybe Hunting beach in the evening, (BEST Suggestions???)
Fri 8/2 - Flying back to Daegu South Korea.

This may be my ONLY chance to play SoCal, so I want to hit the MUST PLAY courses during the week of 7/26 - 8/1. Your Suggestions???

Please email me any suggestions at [email protected] as I may not have regular access to a computer during my trip. I thank you kindly.

The three on your list that are really must plays are Sky High, Coyote Point and DeLaveaga. The rest are solid fun courses, but make sure those three are your highest priorities.

You might consider adding Black Mouse and Parque de la Raza. I wouldn't drive all the way across the state to play Perry. Check the conditions for Ryan Ranch, it's not worth playing if the grass hasn't been cut recently.

Michigander here. I am confused, playing CSUMB, Ryan Ranch...on Tues and playing Sky High in the morning? Isn't that driving like 8 hours downstate? I really like Stafford Lake if you get all the way up toward San Fran. Even Golden Gate park is a pretty unique disc golf experience. I am with Mashnut though, good bottom line.

When near Oak Grove and spending time with your wife... don't pass up Verdugo at night with the lights on! That's a fun experience. Sylmar is right down the way too, another good course, especially if you're already playing OG and Verdugo.
DSCJNKY

Michigander here. I am confused, playing CSUMB, Ryan Ranch...on Tues and playing Sky High in the morning? Isn't that driving like 8 hours downstate? I really like Stafford Lake if you get all the way up toward San Fran. Even Golden Gate park is a pretty unique disc golf experience. I am with Mashnut though, good bottom line.

Good point on GG, I'd choose that over the Monterey area courses for sure, especially the CSU course(s).

If you find yourself near Huntington Beach, play the course.

The best courses in So Cal are Sky High and Coyote/Lake Casitas. If you have those on the list, you are all set.

If you have time on the way to Santa Maria, play the 18 hole course in Lompoc. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5014
You might want to play Heilman on Monday on your way to DeLa and Santa Cruz so you can take a different route back to So Cal. Another course I would suggest on your way north is Sea Pines. It is only 9 holes on a ball golf course. However, if it is a sunny day, the views of Morro Bay are truly awesome. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4479

On your way back to So Cal, I would likely choose the pair of courses at Hart Park in Bakersfield over the pair of Perry courses. Also, please note, playing CSUMB and Ryan on the same day is tough. Not sure how you could have time to play two more courses AND make the drive.

Consider staying Tuesday night in Visalia or Bakersfield, and playing the Perry and/or Hart Park Courses on late Tuesday or early Wednesday before driving to Sky High. Hart has two 18 hole courses. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3092

On a side note, Visalia is very close to the Sequoia National Park. I might suggest you take a little time from your disc golf mission for sightseeing. Drive from Fresno to Visalia on the 198 through the Sequoia National Park and enjoy the giant redwoods. You will never see anything like these beautiful trees outside California. (IMHO, seeing Giant Sequoias trumps playing Heilman or Perry.)

For all So Cal visitors, I suggest playing HB in the afternoon so you can take a quick trip to the nearby beach when you are done and watch the sun set over the Pacific Ocean.

Ryan and the CSU courses don't really take that much time, Ashleigh and I played DeLa and Pinto the same day we played those and then drove down to Bakersfield so it's definitely doable.

I'd agree that Hart is more fun than Perry, you still get the nice park style course on the lower course at Hart and the upper course is very unique.

Ryan Ranch is in great condition right now for the Jelly Jam last weekend, so you don't have to be afraid the grass was not cut.

Your list looks great. Delaveaga is the one you just can't miss in Nor Cal.

Avoid Golden Gate Park in the afternoons (any day of the week). Stafford is a must play around here as well.

The three on your list that are really must plays are Sky High, Coyote Point and DeLaveaga. The rest are solid fun courses, but make sure those three are your highest priorities.

Good to know about these TOP Three. Are there any other TOP places that I may have missed between Santa Cruz and LA?

Since when is Santa Cruz in So-Cal?

Either way, definitely go there if that's in the plans... but I wouldn't consider anything past Santa Barbara / Bakersfield to be So-Cal.

Is there a Centro-Cal... or something like that? I grew up in So-Cal (Sylmar) and went to school in Nor-Cal (Humboldt). Depending on where you live in the state you draw the line at different places... but there has to be a So-Cal (San Diego to Santa Barbara/Bakersfield)... and a Nor-Cal (Frisco and North)... which leaves everything else in Centro-Cal (Fresno to Santa Cruz/Stockton).

DSCJNKY