• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Something is getting lost in the translation

Zen that game has helped me a lot and I recommend it. The thing from that game that "translates" best on the course is the first shot from any given distance. It's great to hit 80% but I'm paying more and more attention to the percentage on the first one because that's the shot that has to count during play. All the posts mentioning same routine are spot on but getting there takes a lot of repetitions which it sounds like midnight is getting but also being able to control your emotions, nervousness, apathy or any of the other 10 or 15 thousand things we let enter our mind that shouldn't. The deep breath has been a good tool when I remember to use it.

If you want to see your practice putting look more like your competitive putting, when you practice, throw 1 putt every 10 minutes. In between, throw a couple of hard throws somewhere, walk 400 feet around the basket, stand around until you've killed 10 minutes, putt, repeat.

I'll bet your practice percentage drops.

i dont practice my putts at home very often due to a small yard but when i do i make sure they are never level and straight in...because really how often do you see that at the course. practice the putts you normally see. uphill, downhill, slight hyzer. that is where you can gain the confidence.

Something that some can't swallow:

When your putting is not going well, lay the hell up for a drop in...even if its a bogey! I had 2 cases yesterday where my disc caught wind and flew over the basket and landed 2x as far as my original putt. Yeah I was then going for bogey but I layed up for double boge versus going back and forth for a 7 and losing all my confidence.

I was a 80% free throw shooter in HS and I agree it is best to do the same routine...for me it was 4 dribbles to relax and then focus and shoot. definetely something to the the MMR but putts are often from different distances and angles unlike free throws andpenalty kicks....but I do believe theres something to what your saying...especially for putts within a certain range. If I could hit 80% from 30 ft Id be happy as a hot dog in a pretzel sandwich.

i've always told people putting is like shooting free throws (i hit almost 90% in high school and 52 in a row in practice one day)- find a routine and use it for both practice and the real thing.

my 2 questions for folks whose practice putting doesn't seem to carry over to the course are usually:
1. do you use the same routine in practice as on the course?
2. does your pace change from practice to on the course?

many people tend to slow it down which just gives their head the time to get in the way.

So I'm going to cut against the grain a little.
My biggest improvement for on-the-course pressure putts was to putt 100 times a day from 18 feet, which is the length of my garage.
I don't work on form or concentrate a lot, but I'll try things. I just throw and throw and throw. 5 putts at a time, 20 times. At the end of the 100 throws, I won't let myself finish until I've hit 5 in a row.
It usually takes about 20 minutes.
What I have found is that my form is getting better and more consistent. I am finding things about my form that I like better, and some things I have quit doing. I just started this about 10 days ago and it's been a tremendous help.
My putt has become more an act of repetition. I can relax when I stand to putt.
Another big plus is that I'm deadly inside 25ft.
A bad thing is that outside 25ft or so, it's a total crapshoot. I figure that once it warms up a bit, I can start doing the 100 a day form 30 ft, and still make the 100 from 18ft.
I don't kow if it will work for others, but it's been great for me.

you could do what I do, which is never practice putting, and suck it up majorly in practice rounds, but hit everyone in league play. I guess putting is all about concentrating and I can't help but concentrate more when I'm playing in leagues, hence more putts made.
I would say before every putt consider every variable too. Consider wind, obstacles, trouble behind the basket, slope, etc, and think how you want to throw THIS shot. I find a lot of players I play with thinking that every putt from the same distance on the same basket will be the same, and missing a lot of putts because of this.
Every putt is different, make sure you consider all the variables before you throw. Don't throw the same into a headwind as you just did for your tailwind putt, as it will fly way over the basket.

So I'm going to cut against the grain a little.
My biggest improvement for on-the-course pressure putts was to putt 100 times a day from 18 feet, which is the length of my garage.
I don't work on form or concentrate a lot, but I'll try things. I just throw and throw and throw. 5 putts at a time, 20 times. At the end of the 100 throws, I won't let myself finish until I've hit 5 in a row.
It usually takes about 20 minutes.
What I have found is that my form is getting better and more consistent. I am finding things about my form that I like better, and some things I have quit doing. I just started this about 10 days ago and it's been a tremendous help.
My putt has become more an act of repetition. I can relax when I stand to putt.
Another big plus is that I'm deadly inside 25ft.
A bad thing is that outside 25ft or so, it's a total crapshoot. I figure that once it warms up a bit, I can start doing the 100 a day form 30 ft, and still make the 100 from 18ft.
I don't kow if it will work for others, but it's been great for me.

A lot of my problems stem from control issues and this is a good way for me (or anyone else) to help correct these problems. Doing exactly what DiscJunkie will train your body to have the same controlled shot time after time. In so doing, you'll develop muscle memory; to the extent that tossing a putt will seem like second nature.

its all about confidence and muscle memory and don't get bad thoughts just cause you missed one shrug it off and tell your self your the sh*t

A lot of my problems stem from control issues and this is a good way for me (or anyone else) to help correct these problems. Doing exactly what DiscJunkie will train your body to have the same controlled shot time after time. In so doing, you'll develop muscle memory; to the extent that tossing a putt will seem like second nature.

This is exactly my thoughts about the way I practice putting.
I'm trying to develop a stroke that will stand up to pressure. i just wish my garage was 30' long. I just go out and throw and throw and throw. no special ceremony or wind up, just try to get it into the basket the easiest and most comfortable stroke possible. If I miss, it's no big thing.
Another thing, I'm not looking for instant results. My thought right now (I've been doing this for a few weeks) is that I should be where I want by the end of 2010. No quick fixes.
I'm also doing this when I throw into my practice net. Just relax, throw and develop good, consistent form.

I don't know why, but I can putt great at the practice field with my basket, but when I get on the course, my putting falls apart. Tournaments are the worst. I know I can putt, because I hit 80% with my own basket, but when I get to the course, it drops to 50%.

Can you guys give me some advice on how to relax when you make you putts and have more confidence?

Its all mental Phil, you make one bad put and your game goes to crap. You need to stay positive and treat each putt as a new shot and not a continuation of what happened before. Ive seen you do it countless times. You are WAY WAY WAY to hard on yourself. Trust me I know I do the same thing.