• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Sorcerer with amateur photography included.

I don't know what it is, but I'm having huge consistency issues with the 172g TP sorcerer. I max out at 350 with my King and DD2 and pretty much never flip over a driver even if it is an US one like Hatchet.

However, every now and then the Sorcerer just completely crashes and burns and I have no idea when that will happen. It also has way more turn even with a good throw than my seasoned Trespass and King. Actually, I'd say it even turns more than Escape, which sounds just wrong.

My Sorcerer is very flat so that may be part of it, but I'm interested to hear if others have similar experiences.

I want to like it cause doesn't take a lot of power to go long way, but it's just so touchy.

I don't know what it is, but I'm having huge consistency issues with the 172g TP sorcerer. I max out at 350 with my King and DD2 and pretty much never flip over a driver even if it is an US one like Hatchet.

However, every now and then the Sorcerer just completely crashes and burns and I have no idea when that will happen. It also has way more turn even with a good throw than my seasoned Trespass and King. Actually, I'd say it even turns more than Escape, which sounds just wrong.

My Sorcerer is very flat so that may be part of it, but I'm interested to hear if others have similar experiences.

I want to like it cause doesn't take a lot of power to go long way, but it's just so touchy.

How long have you had it and been throwing it? You should maybe take it to an open field and really give it a bunch of throws to find out what it does with different release angles if you haven't already. If it's pretty flat I'd say it's a good chance you just got a rare one that doesn't fly like it was meant to. Every sorcerer I've seen has a nice little slight pop top dome and is between the Havoc and Trespass stability. If you're hitting 350 with a King you might not be getting the Sorcerer up to speed and are compensating with some wrist roll or something. Lot of possibilities. I'd say if you really want to like it get another in a heavy weight, VIP plastic, opaque and a little domey if you can. If that doesn't give you a good amount more stability and what you're looking for it's probably just not the disc for you. With a King and Trespass you're already overlapping with the Sorcerer anyway. For me the king and bolt are the inconsistent molds and I have much more luck with the trespass and havoc.

How long have you had it and been throwing it? You should maybe take it to an open field and really give it a bunch of throws to find out what it does with different release angles if you haven't already.
I have had a couple more field session and my feelings haven't really changed that much tbh. The flight for me is pretty much identical with a bio Renegade. Both go 330-350' with a moderate s-curve. Only difference is the occasional crash an burn by sorcerer. I can feel that it is an operator issue, but for some reason this is the only disc I'm having that problem with.

The disc really is as flat as possible which actually makes it feel really comfortable. Also, I don't really need any more stability, just consistency.

I grabbed a couple off ebay after reading some of these reviews. Sounds like its in my wheelhouse for a distance driver.

Had some extra tournament funny money to spend so i gambled on a white 166g (looks/feels like hybrid).

Really enjoy it so far after two rounds. It flies like a longer saint pro for me. Straight 90% of the flight then 10% fade. Holds an anny real well.

I've been throwing a Finnish stamped TP for a while. I'm getting really nice distance from it. It has become my go-to long distance driver. It has a nice long slow turn to maximize distance with a little bit of fade back at the end.

I have a VIP one on my doorstep right now just waiting for me to get home to test it out.

Field tested my Air VIP Sorcerer against my Bliz Tern today. At 158 they both fly eerily similar, but to be fair, my Japan Open Tern has way less bubbly fizziness in the rim than normal Bliz distance drivers. Does anyone have experience comparing a normal production Bliz Tern vs an Air VIP Sorcerer?

I'm really enjoying the VIP lightweight plastic being pumped out lately. Innova craps the bed at making lightweight distance drivers

Caught my interest. Same top as a world? I think the world is the best long slightly over stable driver capable of landing on a fairway. Disclaimer it is a high speed disc intended for a high speed arm.
If the scorecer has a similar flight but a bit less over stable then I really want to throw this disc.
I love the king. But have not thrown it enough. The tern has been my go to in this super long distance stable to under stable land on a fairway driver slot.
One weekend I will test and retest what is longer a tern or a king. So far very close specs. Now are we adding the scoreerer to the equation?

Field tested my Air VIP Sorcerer against my Bliz Tern today. At 158 they both fly eerily similar, but to be fair, my Japan Open Tern has way less bubbly fizziness in the rim than normal Bliz distance drivers. Does anyone have experience comparing a normal production Bliz Tern vs an Air VIP Sorcerer?

I'm really enjoying the VIP lightweight plastic being pumped out lately. Innova craps the bed at making lightweight distance drivers

They dont make stock run blizzard terns. Those JO Bliz Terns are awesome though - bubbles deep in the rim so they dont beat to roller after two rounds, and champion plastic stability. Mine are just as stable as Champion Terns. I havent thrown an Air Sorc. though.

ftr they do make stock run StarLite Terns, which is like Blizzard with Star instead of Champ. My 158g StarLite is probably as stable as my most stable max weight champ Tern. I should try putting that back in the bag now that I think about it.

the starlight terns are not even close to champion plastic terns. They don't penetrate the air as well. I like them. But their soft, actually not as flippy as you would think and have some stability.

Having gone on a tern addiction, I tried them in every plastic a few years ago. Not champ blizzard because it doesn't exist yet. But I did find out a few things. My initial order(purchase) of terns in champions ended up being the best for my arm speed. As I continued to try in different plastics I realized that these discs with high velocity need a stiffer plastic for my arm. My star plastic, pretty pink in lightweights I can't even throw. Unless I put a super stupid extreme hyzer angle on them. But I bet they would be great for a rec player.

Today with some soft tailwinds I did another test with terns and kings. The kings are flying as far a the terns. Today the kings blew by the terns. My testing will continue before I make a conclusion. But I hope I can continue to keep some innova in my bag. Though my kings are looking like they my oust the tern.

Just started throwing the Sorcerer in TP. As stated many times in this thread, it's a bit more under stable than advertised.

What is Westside's next distance driver with a bit more stability, and what would be Lat 64's comparable?

I like the feel of this plastic and the feel of their rims, they are growing on me. Sorry Katana, you just got the boot to my box of now growing unused Innova discs.

Been reading a lot of positive things about the Sword regarding Westside stuff for distance. Assuming you don't want to go with a World. Sword is one speed down from the Sorcerer, but more OS.

I helped a guy out the other day and he gave me a VIP Sorcerer for my troubles. Flat, opaque white, 170 something. I threw it a little bit alongside an Opto Ballista and VIP King and it was in between the two in regards to stability. The wind made it a lot closer to the King than the Ballista but when calm it seemed to have a long, straight flight. I felt like the Ballista was longer but maybe that was due to me trusting it more.

I helped a guy out the other day and he gave me a VIP Sorcerer for my troubles. Flat, opaque white, 170 something. I threw it a little bit alongside an Opto Ballista and VIP King and it was in between the two in regards to stability. The wind made it a lot closer to the King than the Ballista but when calm it seemed to have a long, straight flight. I felt like the Ballista was longer but maybe that was due to me trusting it more.

They fly like a Trilogy Tern to me, neutral-straight and good glide. Don't like wind because they are definitely prone to turning.

They fly like a Trilogy Tern to me, neutral-straight and good glide. Don't like wind because they are definitely prone to turning.

Never tried a Tern b/c the rim felt a bit shallow. But the rim on the Sorcerer feels decently deep for the speed, could be a good option for Tern people that are turned off by the feels.

I'd agree with this. I've thrown a couple Sorcerers. Not really one of my favorite molds. The ones I threw were flat and didn't have great glide. They'd flip over and S curve wildly before fading out hard. Glide was marginal.

Similar to a King, but slightly slower and with a harder late fade. Couldn't really find a niche for the Sorcerer.

I got significantly better distance with the King and Ballista (and Destiny) over the Sorcerer.

Yeah, played another round with it and it's an okay disc but it doesn't really wow me in any way. It reminds me the most of a slower, less glidey Destiny. It does have a really nice feeling rim though. I had trouble dialing it in, it either turned over almost as hard as a flippy King if I threw it as hard as my Ballista or just straight and dumpy faded if I powered down too much. I'm not sure if it's particularly good for anything. I might try some rollers or something with it if the appropriate courses would ever mow the grass.

Yeah, played another round with it and it's an okay disc but it doesn't really wow me in any way. It reminds me the most of a slower, less glidey Destiny. It does have a really nice feeling rim though. I had trouble dialing it in, it either turned over almost as hard as a flippy King if I threw it as hard as my Ballista or just straight and dumpy faded if I powered down too much. I'm not sure if it's particularly good for anything. I might try some rollers or something with it if the appropriate courses would ever mow the grass.

Yeah, I never trifled a ton with the Sorcerer. Its an OK disc. If I absolutely had to I could bag it and do OK with it for understable use. Thing is, there are other way easier discs to throw those kinds of shots with. Mediocre glide and too much late fade to really flex out for big bombs. Sometimes flips and doesn't come back too.

Latest posts