• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sound Off - The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (over 1k posts!)

Bad: Weather this past weekend 0 degrees with a -10 below wind chill factor.
Ugly: The guys trying to snowboard down one of the holes on the ice.
Good: Finally getting an ace this year(I was on a mission, I've had an ace every year since I've been playing).

RustyP said:
Ugly: some of the nasty rolls that the wind was causing! I had one that cleared an OB creek by at least 70-80' then got picked up and rolled all the way back into the water. Another player had a disc that was laying flat on the ground that got picked up by the wind and started rolling...ended up a good 150' back from where it was sitting. Ridiculous!

Couldn't the other player replace his disc if it had come to a rest?

Frank_Delicious said:
RustyP said:
Ugly: some of the nasty rolls that the wind was causing! I had one that cleared an OB creek by at least 70-80' then got picked up and rolled all the way back into the water. Another player had a disc that was laying flat on the ground that got picked up by the wind and started rolling...ended up a good 150' back from where it was sitting. Ridiculous!

He hadn't marked it yet, so I don't think so...not absolutely sure though. Don't have my rulebook here at work to confirm :D

RustyP said:
Frank_Delicious said:
RustyP said:

He hadn't marked it yet, so I don't think so...not absolutely sure though. Don't have my rulebook here at work to confirm :D

from the online rulebook

803.07 B

If a disc at rest on the playing surface or supported by the target is moved, the disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. If a marker disc is moved, the marker disc shall be replaced as close as possible to its original location, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. (If the two meter penalty is in effect See also 803.08 C and D for movement of a disc above the playing surface.)

P.S. what was up with the deleted PMs?

Apparently I clicked "PM" instead of "quote"....and then somehow managed to type 2 responses and send them before I realized it and deleted them :D

Do the rules clarify how long a disc has to be laying flat on the ground before its considered to be "at rest"? Here's a hypothetical: If I threw a disc that came to rest (ie - stopped moving completely) for 1 second on a hillside green right next to the basket, then it started to slide downhill before catching an edge and rolling 100' out...could I argue that the disc was "at rest" before it slid, and take it from right next to the pin?

RustyP said:
Apparently I clicked "PM" instead of "quote"....and then somehow managed to type 2 responses and send them before I realized it and deleted them :D

Do the rules clarify how long a disc has to be laying flat on the ground before its considered to be "at rest"? Here's a hypothetical: If I threw a disc that came to rest (ie - stopped moving completely) for 1 second on a hillside green right next to the basket, then it started to slide downhill before catching an edge and rolling 100' out...could I argue that the disc was "at rest" before it slid, and take it from right next to the pin?

I believe at rest is determined by the consensus of the group. There was also a thread, on PDGA I think, that made a distinction between natural forces moving your disc as opposed to someone kicking you disc or the like. I never really got a good handle on where to draw the line but I think Chuck was in on that conversation so he might know.

good: pr (60) at my home course (sherando)

bad: was +1 after nine and finished +6

ugly: this is a tie between a 3 putt bogie and a putt that bounced off the bottom of the basket and rolled 30' down a hill.

Good: I met up with some random guys on the course and played the rest of the day with them. Turns out one of the guys is starting his own beef jerky business and he offered me a possible sponsorship deal for PDGA tourneys. Woohoo. If no sponsorship comes out of it at least Im getting a crap load of free samples of his jerky. Score

Bad: Im not a current member of the PDGA so I need to sign up so I can get sponsored and he said theyll pay my entry fees!!

Ugly: No Ugly today, I played great and got offered a possible sponsorship

Ugly I pegged a tree with a gazelle and it tacoed my disc almost completely. I bent it back into shape, but now it's less predictable; sometimes flying too stable and sometimes flipping too much.

Later I hit the same tree just as hard with a teebird, which didn't taco. Shrugged it off and kept flying just the same.

the good: hit metal twice today and won CTP on one of the holes for two brand new wizards.

the bad: as in badass,i saw two aces today at our weekley handicap.

the ugly: as in how ugly ron russell made the rest of us look when he shot a 12 down over 20 holes.

Great last handicap of the year here in beautiful melbourne, fl had 60 people show up and a really good time had by all.

The good: It didn't snow today (yet...)

The Bad: None of the tees have ever been cleared this winter at my local course.

The ugle: The snow I got to shovel today (18 holes with two tees per hole). I did get a round in while shoveling though.

pd

The good: the weather this week. plus I have been playing pretty well lately.

the bad: there is still something off on my drives, I am coming through real late or too early on almost all of them. I think I am just rusty.

The ugly: At Saturday singles this last weekend a local pro came out, forgot his bag, and borrowed discs from everyone to play. He then destroyed everyone and set a course record at -12.

Frank_Delicious said:
a local pro came out, forgot his bag, and borrowed discs from everyone to play. He then destroyed everyone and set a course record at -12.

Hmmmm

Take this and stick it in the "What's in Your Bag" threads.

Archer > Arrow

Bad: Weather has been so bad, I haven't been able to play
Ugly: Absolute blizzard on Boxing Day
Good: My daughter and I went out to play in the snow storm anyway
Awesome: I got 2 Aces!! First in about 2 years.

The Good: It is December and there is no snow. I am playing tomorrow.

The Bad: It is dark every day by the time I get out of work. :(

The Ugly: My home course is nothing but mud. Plan on 3" deep mud within 20' of every hole or tee.

Good: My two brothers were in town and we got to play Canton and Massillon

Bad: Rained the whole 18 at Massillon

Ugly: Lost an ESP Surge in the pond AND fell through the ice trying to recover it...got soaked...had a blast. :-D

Ugly; Man is it a crappy time to be between jobs. It's too damn cold and windy to play much disc golf or even practice in a field. It's supposed to be like 15 degrees all freakin week.

Why do I always have to get free time when I don't want it or can't use it? I think I'm gonna take a guitar lesson or something.

It's never too cold. Played every day since it got cold. The only part I hate is how hard it is to drive bundled up. :D

I still play, but it's not so much fun when it's this cold and windy. It's also a lot harder to tell how I'm throwing while doing field practice because of the wind.

stoneman said:
It's never too cold. Played every day since it got cold. The only part I hate is how hard it is to drive bundled up. :D

I use a shirt for running, fleece layer(s) of the breathable kind and a running jacket. Fair thickness but still quite unrestrictive. Not as easy as a t-shirt in the summer but really not that bad at all.