• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Speaking of Gateway......

farrisdarren

There has been several posts involving Gateway discs lately, and I was curious as to what people's opinions were of the Gateway Demon. I am not talking about the Speed Demon, but rather the very overstable midrange. I picked up the disc this last week to use as a mid/short range flick disc. Any opinions out there?

Watching this...been thinking about something more overstable than the good ole gaytor.

I have heard that it is rediculously overstable for a mid.

There is a guy that posts here sometimes who is a Gateway rep. Maybe he will show up and add in his 2 cents.

A friend gave me one, and in the field my thoughts were, "This is thing is so stupid overstable, I will never use it!" Yesterday at Roscoe Ewing I must have pulled that short meathook out half a dozen times. I almost left it in the car, but it had its place, and will probably stay in my bag now.
Might depend on the course too - at Aumiller, I didn't pull it out once in 18 holes.

By short/midrange flick, do you mean overhand? I have done that a few times in the field, and it seems to do ok.

It's similar to a Drone. It's just a really overstable mid. I find it's difficult to control distance with them, you can either throw all out and get 200'-220' or back off and get 80'-100' and there's not much else you can do reliably. IMO, you're better off just throwing a really overstable fast disc with less of a runup. You can get all of the same shots accomplished plus a lot more that way.

Watching this...been thinking about something more overstable than the good ole gaytor.

I carry a Gator in my bag as well and when I need something more overstable, I usually have either a Viper or a Whippet. If you can get your hands on a CFR Viper, they are even more overstable yet. I'm thinking about picking up a Whippet-X as well. I know that technically they are drivers, but they work as great meathooks for me if I don't think I can get the Gator to make the turn.

All that being said...Gateway? Eh...I tried all of their putters like everyone else and have one Warlock I really like, other than that, I can live without them. They're not bad discs, just not for me. I'm also not crazy about the plastic I have on one of their discs...a spirit, in their version of champ/z plastic, which feels a bit gummy for my taste...and also that thing is such a meathook to me, it's basically unthrowable...never thrown anything like it....

I carry a Gator in my bag as well and when I need something more overstable, I usually have either a Viper or a Whippet. If you can get your hands on a CFR Viper, they are even more overstable yet. I'm thinking about picking up a Whippet-X as well. I know that technically they are drivers, but they work as great meathooks for me if I don't think I can get the Gator to make the turn.
That's a good point, too. I'd recommend something like a Whippet, Viper or Blaze if you want something slower and really overstable. I find they're way easier to control than the really overstable mids.

All that being said...Gateway? Eh...I tried all of their putters like everyone else and have one Warlock I really like, other than that, I can live without them. They're not bad discs, just not for me. I'm also not crazy about the plastic I have on one of their discs...a spirit, in their version of champ/z plastic, which feels a bit gummy for my taste...and also that thing is such a meathook to me, it's basically unthrowable...never thrown anything like it....

Recently got an Apache in Evolution plastic and that disc is sw33t, flies like a TL, nice and straight w/ good distance.. Remains to be seen how well the plastic holds up, but so far so Good!

And the Wizards feel so good in my hand I don't want to let go!

I agree. I love my wizards and my spirit for a forehand driver, but I am hoping that this Demon pays off for the midrange flick that I can control and get to fade hard at the end. Thanks for the input guys!

Recently got an Apache in Evolution plastic and that disc is sw33t, flies like a TL, nice and straight w/ good distance.. Remains to be seen how well the plastic holds up, but so far so Good!

And the Wizards feel so good in my hand I don't want to let go!

exactly my thoughts.... I love the wizard and the apache looks slow with it's huge dome but man it flies far and glides FOREVER!!!! very impressive disc not many people have tried

...but I am hoping that this Demon pays off for the midrange flick that I can control and get to fade hard at the end...

I think it will. FH or BH, it helps me with that shot.

I like that no matter how hard I throw it, or what release angle I put on it, it's gonna crap out and fade hard at <200 ft. Before I knew about over/under stability, I didn't understand this and hated the disc. I now love that I'll never catch too much glide with it.

I'm sure there are other discs that fill this role, it's just the only one I've ever used.

went out and used mine for the first time yesterday. Pretty much did exactly as everyone described. I was actually getting mine out to 225 or so, unless I took a bunch off of it. Should be a good addition to the bag though. Thanks guys!