• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Speed 10/11 Driver for Max D

FightingTheTide

Birdie Member
What would you choose for a speed 10/11 max distance driver to break 400' and hopefully reach 425'-450'? Ideally something with decent high speed turn out of the box, around -1 or -2, that can break in slowly...and glide around 5 or 6.

For reference, I can throw close to 400' on a good day with speed 9-10 drivers and I have rarely found a faster disc that gains significant distance for me. I prefer Innova and Discmania.

I think for the kind of distance you're seeking you're going to need to go at least a bit faster than 10. Try 11 or 12. Stuff like the Wraith, Surge, Sword, Tern, ETC.

Take a long look at the Surge and Tern. Both have some high speed turn and great glide. Both are also easily capable of 400'+ distance.

Start at 9s and work your way up until you don't gain anything by going up a speed.
At 9, I use OLFs, but PDs are good and they go far. Valks go far too, and have better turn out of the box.
At 10, try a Beast or Orc. Both go far.
At 11, Wraith. Some others too.

You don't need to get faster than that to hit the distances you're talking about.

With the stipulation that you have the arm speed for it:

The Discmania TD and Innova Beast are on the understable side, and then you have the SL (if you can find them), the Starfire, the Orc, and the Monster, and of course the PD and PDx.

Speed 11 has the Wraith, and also the Krait and Archon. The Wraith is one of the gold standards amongst the pros (along with the Destroyer and Boss :popcorn: ).

And I'd recommend the Speed 12 Tern, as well.

So Beast, Tern, Krait all sound good based on flight numbers.

I have a Star Beast that I haven't thrown and my local store has some new and used Champ Terns. Is the Krait worth picking up too to see how it flies next to those? Or will it basically be too similar?

I think the kraits I've thrown had a little less turn out of the box than a beast or tern. Given I've only thrown a couple kraits.

Wraith is the go to. Lots of plastic options, etc.

DDX if you can go a hair wider and shallower.

DD P-Line would be good too for D, They can start beefy but break in quicker.

This might help. Here's my driver lineup. I'm keeping it really simple lately.

S FD - understable
C FD - stable (straight)
Champ Teebird - slightly OS
C PD - 7th run, OS, headwind max D

And 2 Firebirds for utility

FD's go really far for me, close to 400' because of their glide. I'm thinking Tern or Wraith in different plastics based on what you guys have said and because that would make enough of a gap with FD's.

A fresh P PD might be all the extra glide and speed you need, those things bomb for a 9 speed. My first thought after reading OP was a Sword, maybe more of a 12 speed than an 11 but the rim feels smaller than typical 12 speeds.

P PD's are great (used to have a few), but I'm looking to avoid Pro plastic. I prefer something stiffer and longer lasting so I don't have to cycle them as often.

I still think it'll come down to Wraiths or Terns for me. I'll drop by a shop today and see what they have and give it a shot. On the phone they said they have a used 162 Champ Tern...that could be money if it's not too beat-in.

So Beast, Tern, Krait all sound good based on flight numbers.
I have a Star Beast that I haven't thrown and my local store has some new and used Champ Terns. Is the Krait worth picking up too to see how it flies next to those? Or will it basically be too similar?

My Krait flies very straight for me, with a dump fade. The Champion Kraits are a Paul McBeth sig disc, and he used to bag them (don't know if he still does).

Kraits are awesome. Terns are even more awesome. :thmbup:

Edited to add: yes, when the Mystere comes out in production, I suspect it's going to be the bees' knees...

My local store had a bunch of Terns. I grabbed a pearly, opaque 163 Champ and a grippy JL 175 Champ!

I'll see how these do. Thanks for the advice.

Is the requirement for something understable a shortcut for a lack of form/power to hyzer flip an overstable disc?
Are your current discs turning too much when you go max distance?
There are several ways to cheat distance. A lighter disc would make more sense if you believe your form and power are as perfect as they can be.
A faster disc compensated by a greater turn rating but thrown with the same power won't get you distance, it'll only get to the same distance quicker.

My local store had a bunch of Terns. I grabbed a pearly, opaque 163 Champ and a grippy JL 175 Champ!

I'll see how these do. Thanks for the advice.

Let us know what you think about the champ Terns.
I need to buy a second as a back up, I don't want to be without one at my current skill level/arm speed.

If you like the Tern, be sure to check out the DDX from Discmania, I prefer it over the Tern. IME the S-line DDX flies similar to a max weight Champion Tern, but I prefer the added grip of S-line over Champion. The DDX also seems to have a bit more LSS, which helps make it a bit more reliable for me.

Also I agree with P-PD's being bombers for speed 10. I have gotten a few that are VERY stiff for Pro plastic, but find they still beat in much faster than S or C-line.

And FWIW, I throw about the same distance as you, as I max out around 425-450' on a good rip with my Destroyer's. I get my beat in S and P-line PD's out to 400'.

G-star Destroyer. Good bomber stability if you are throwing that distance, but it won't hold up to wind. Since you said speed 11ish, I would have said Trespass (since its rim is actually "speed 11" not 12), but then you say Innova...so then I would recommend Wraith. But in that case, just skip it and go to the Gstar Destroyer, that way you won't run the chance of getting an OS hog that dumps at 325' (lots of star Destroyers are beef).

A fresh P PD might be all the extra glide and speed you need, those things bomb for a 9 speed. My first thought after reading OP was a Sword, maybe more of a 12 speed than an 11 but the rim feels smaller than typical 12 speeds.

P line PD, or go DDX or Tern. Terns will go forever and between star and champ you're pretty covered

Latest posts