• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Stable compliment to Valkyrie

volt, PD or another new valk if that was working for you.

i like the tesla very much and would also be a good option IMO, but it has a wider rim FYI.

PDs are awesome. so is the volt. very similar discs, but you can use and cycle through PD fairly easily which some people (myself) like. they (valk/pd/volt) are all at 1.9 cm rim width despite the PD having different speed rating.

also i was wrong about the volt; it's a 2.0 cm apparently.

Valkyries are my main driver. I absolutely love them. It is the first disc I broke 350 with. I throw stars, jk champs and a jk pro. When I want something a tick more stable I grab a viking. Little less turn, little better in the wind. I truly believe a Viking is what you are looking for. Both the Vikings I have are nice and flat. One is a bit more beat in, the other practically brand new. They have a very similar feel in the hand as a valk which is nice as well.

As for the pd, if you want truly over stable, this is what you are looking for. They are absolutely nothing like a Valkyrie whatsoever. They have extremely healthy fade with almost zero turn. I have owned one and will never own another. For discmania, I believe and have used a max weight S-TD that a member here sent me. It is not as under stable as the numbers indicate, holds up well in wind, is dead nuts straight with minimal fade. The TD I have is a great compliment to my Valkyries.

I'm a 350'-360' Valk thrower. I carry:

G* Valkryie (understable)
Champ Valkryie (stable)
Star Firebird (slightly overstable, very beat)
Star Firebird (very overstable, flat-top)

I'd start with a Champ Valk. A PD would be a even more overstable compliment.

I think a P-PD or MOLF fits in perfectly between a Valk and a Firebird.

Maybe I need to try a P-PD. I had a S-PD and hated it at the time. I think it was as OS as the star firebird I have now. The P-PD sounds like it might be more my style.

Maybe I need to try a P-PD. I had a S-PD and hated it at the time. I think it was as OS as the star firebird I have now. The P-PD sounds like it might be more my style.

Right off the shelf I've found the P-PD to exhibit probably a -0.5 turn and a bit less fade than a fresh S or G-line. It doesn't turn as much as it leaks to the right, and then the fade is a bit later, more forward, and not quite as drastic. My sweet spot is right around 167 - 169 grams for basically all four plastic options. (For reference, I'm in the 375ish foot range with PDs and slightly longer with the right Valk.)

My PDs pair perfectly with my somewhat understable Gstar Valk.

I have a Champ Valkyrie that is pretty os compared to it's dx brother or even my(now lost) older champion Valkyrie, but if you want to throw down in some wind the Volt is awesome and a beat in Tesla will get it done, I trust these discs in the wind so much.
Starfire might also be an option for you

Haha just read this same endorsement from Chains,

Assuming you're wanting to stay in the Innova family of drivers, I'd agree with what someone mentioned earlier in the Star FL, feels almost identical to a Star Valkyrie in the hand, but with a slightly thicker nose.

Thanks for all the replies. Headed out to my local store this afternoon. They don't have a huge selection but I found a Champ Valk to compliment its Star cohort. Stopped at a field and in a couple throws, seems to be able to handle the job.

I am going to give the other discs some serious consideration for something to order. It would be nice to get something a bit more overstable and let it beat in to that sweet spot that will hold for a long time. I have a feeling this champ Valk will eventually become a duplicate of what I have already.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the replies. Headed out to my local store this afternoon. They don't have a huge selection but I found a Champ Valk to compliment its Star cohort. Stopped at a field and in a couple throws, seems to be able to handle the job.

I am going to give the other discs some serious consideration for something to order. It would be nice to get something a bit more overstable and let it beat in to that sweet spot that will hold for a long time. I have a feeling this champ Valk will eventually become a duplicate of what I have already.

Thanks again!

Good color choice on the Champ Valk.

(Seriously, get a Viking :p)

Right off the shelf I've found the P-PD to exhibit probably a -0.5 turn and a bit less fade than a fresh S or G-line. It doesn't turn as much as it leaks to the right, and then the fade is a bit later, more forward, and not quite as drastic. My sweet spot is right around 167 - 169 grams for basically all four plastic options. (For reference, I'm in the 375ish foot range with PDs and slightly longer with the right Valk.)

My PDs pair perfectly with my somewhat understable Gstar Valk.

Thanks for the insight. I know the local PIAS has both a P-PD and a P-CD sitting there. I will probably get both.
Good color choice on the Champ Valk.

(Seriously, get a Viking :p)

And op, yes, seriously try a Viking. They are money.

grab a JL champ valk

but personally id go with a pd. i know broken shoulder throws that line up

i myself throw pd and 3 different sidewinders. so similar to the valk. but wow a JL sw is dead straight with decent fade. it flies nothing like a sw, so i was thinking a JL valk would be about the same but a touch more overstable than the JL sw

Latest posts