• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Standing on Top of the World!

I meant to include beaver ranch 17.....damn forgot it......That Jefferson Hole looks amazing, I really expect The High Country in NC to crack top 10 soon it is on my wish list...I think Deis Hill in Ohio has a memorable one as well

Last edited:
I've played DeLa and Stafford and a few other notable "Top of the World" holes.

# 14, Deis Hill in Dover, Ohio

# ??, V.A. Barrie Park, St. Thomas, Ontario (this hole is featured on "World's Greatest Holes", a few years back)

And I like # 6 @ Stafford Lake the best, not only because of the sheer beauty that surrounds you but also the risk and reward. I'm a LHBH player and to let it hang out over those oaks and have it come in just as I planned was surreal. The day( Super Bowl Sunday, '09) I played I got the opportunity to play with some of the coolest locals one could get the chance to play with. They took me up to a even higher plateau on # 6 from the original # 6 tee box. I wish I lived on the left coast. I think I would just play # 6 all day. Thanks 4 the picture of Stafford's # 6, MikeShoys.

Last edited:
Sipapu, New Mexico hole #18 is one of my favorites.

Throwing downhill on a Black Diamond ski slope with the basket just under 600 feet away and the Base Lodge in view in the background. It's easy to toss an Aviar 900 feet on this tee. The fairway is pretty wide (for a ski hill course), probably around 100 feet wide, but it's difficult to keep discs flying straight all the way down to the basket. This is one of the few holes I've played where even though you can see all the way to the target, it's wise to have a spotter at least halfway down the hill to see where the discs go when they fade off the fairway or get stuck up in a tree.

i've thrown the top 3 (dela, whistler's, stafford) and i'll take stafford any day of the week. easy. not enough of a realistic line (for me) to throw at dela, both dela and whistlers throw into a flat, fairly dangerless field, while stafford will beat you to a pulp for missing your line. The pic DSKJNKY is referring to:
DSC_0654.jpg

The Oregon courses are very nice...have you played Horning's Hideout yet?

We just discovered those last month...the are a blast and they are building a 3rd on the property right now :)

You know that hole at Whisler's right on the cliff, maybe 12 or so? One time I let my approach shot go and it was like super charged and sailed straight as an arrow and went sailing over the cliff right to the edge of the river...what a crazy hike down to get it

No, I haven't but I am scheduling camping trips around Horning's Hideout and Milo McIver for after Labor day. I can't wait!!
Yeah I think that it is #7 you are talking about or possibly #9, they both have the cliff behind them but #7 is much closer to it haha. I played that course non-stop in 105 degree weather for 2 days a month ago while camping there with some friends and I had to make the same hike to get my Viking from the river below lol. What a gorgeous course. I consider myself VERY lucky to live where I do, surrounded by incredible courses.

I saw you said JK but I still have to respond.

Check my courses played list... I have played 12 courses in Oregon. Oregon is the Bomb! In another Forum, I voted for Oregon as being the best disc golf state. I think Milo is the best course I ever played. I drove five hours one way to play Whistler's, played it, then turned around and drove five hours back home... (stopped at the wild river brewery and Lake Selmac too - which, by the way, is another Oregon DG course I like). No bad feelings for Oregon here. I'm saying it here... If anyone wants to go on a DG vacation... go to Oregon!

But, this was about the best Top of the World shot. That belongs to Stafford.
DSCJNKY

Oregon is incredible, I am very lucky to live here. I can't wait to go play Milo McIver and Pier Park and Horning's Hideout either. I am planning camping trips around the Portland area so that I can play them all many many times lol. I am also going to start planning next summer around California courses. I hear there are quite a few great ones. Including Stafford :D

Super cool "name" and DGCR number you have. Probably a pretty cool guy after all. J/k...

There are some awesome DG trips you can take... and DGCR is the best website to help you plan them. As far as Cali goes... Oregon's better. But, if you want to play the greats in Cali... then Stafford and DeLa are it... and, to stay on topic with the thread... they have world class top off the word shots.

Have fun out there.
DSCJNKY

Haha I know, how awesome is getting quad 5's as my number, and thanks, it has been a nickname for years (from sports).

I have been noticing that many people consider Oregon to have the best courses in the west but I still want to travel and play courses everywhere. Cali is somewhere that I have been wanting to visit and I have heard NOTHING but great things about both Stafford and De La. I can't wait to play them. Maybe You could join me for a round or two.

Wow...very nice to see all the people's comments about stafford's top of the world. The upper tee on hole 6 is called the "moist" tee by locals. The pic on this thread is from that tee. I will have to relay the comments as building that tee was for the purpose of putting in our own top of the world. Carrying the cement up there for the retaining wall was not fun. We will be cementing that tee in the future.

We also play from this tee to the basket of 9 or basket's of 13 or 14 for a super huk. You can also go for 15 over the trees.

I have played Whistlers, Dela and I get a round in at stafford every other day. Although I think Whistler's is a wonderful course and blew me away...its top of the world shot doesn't compare. As someone else said...not a lot of punishment for a bad shot. I did get on in the river from the top tee though for fun.

Dela is a great finishing hole for tourney setup...ala Avery choking at the master's cup 2 years ago. I'd like to play diamond X as I've heard its beastly.

Has anyone aced Whistler's? I know Stafford, diamond and dela have been aced.

ps. If you come to stafford...look for a local to play with your first time. Although our signage is decent...you will have a better round on all fronts I think.
pss. All the tees are now cement at stafford with the exception of the mega long 5,6 and 14. Its playing all black positions right now with 6 par fours if you play long tees on 3 and 14.

#18 at Solitude Mt. Resort has not been mentioned. When I came across this hole at the end of my round whilst on vacation, I saw some regulars coming up behind us, and told everyone in my group to watch them before attempting this hole. This website says under 800 ft., but I swear the sign at the hole said over 1100 ft., and people were overdriving it.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=93&mode=gal#

I've played DeLa and Walnut Creek, and I was unimpressed by Dela. Walnut Creek #17, on the other hand, is still the most beautiful hole I've played in 150+ courses. I can't even describe it -- I walked up to it, looked down, realized where the basket was, and started yelling like a crazy person out of the sheer joy of seeing that shot. It is awesome and awe inspiring and is a legitimately fantastic disc golf hole.

walnut creek # 17 looks like a nice hole for back east. Is this a picture from the long tee or short? http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/785/71e0ac0c.jpg

Again, about Dela...try finishing on that hole in a tourney with a crowd of a few hundred watching. Also of interest...it might be the only hole we are talking about that has a memorial at the tee where a long time local decided to pass away at the top.